Four Yorkshire folk on t'road - Pre Trip

Well done on the PTR, Pudsey!

Surprising the kids is the best! Not to wish your vacation away, but very much looking forward to your return and hearing all about it!

Great pre trip Dave, and what a lovely surprise the kids are going to have:goodvibes

So, just under a week to go, finished work yesterday and am now in holiday preparation mode! Covertly checked whether the kids have got enough clothes, and have arrived at the conclusion that they'll be better dressed than Caroline and myself! :lmao:

This is the most frustrating part as Billy and Isabelle have returned to school, they're still adjusting and coming home tired and cranky - whereas I'm bouncing off the walls! Just got the currency to sort out on Monday, and organise a transfer from Sanford to OKW as there seems to be an issue with the one we've already booked.

We've told the kids that we're cashing in the holiday fund as it was full to the top, the kids were extremely impressed that it totalled £92!!! We'll take them to the machine so they're involved and can see the end result of all their scrimping and saving! Here they are double checking the final total:

SDC12285.jpg

"Why's there a torn up accumulator slip in the Holiday Fund jar???!!!"

Have also exhausted my creative capabilities by mocking up the letter addressed to the kids that we're going to give them once we get to the hotel and Manchester. Managed to download the Disney font so it looks even more convincing (well, to two little 'uns ;)) - here it is:

Hi Billy and Isabelle!

We hear that you've been very good, that's what your teachers say,
Learning, playing, having fun, and working hard each day.
You must be tired, and need a rest, or better still, a treat,
So now it's time to tell you something, we think's pretty neat!

As you know, we are your friends, but we live far away,
You have to fly, for a long time, so hello we could say.
Look for your suitcase, passport too, they're hidden in the room,
And mums got a ticket for Walt Disney World, it means you'll be here soon!

So come and see us, we cannot wait, to see you once again,
It's been too long since Disneyland Paris, when we last saw our friends.
We've saved a room, In Orlando, which we think is our best,
So once you've landed, keep looking out, for a place called Old Key West!

So see you soon, we'll have loads of fun, there is so much to see,
Bring yourselves, your mum and Dave, and lots of energy!
The parks, the pool, the sunshine too, what else can we say?
But have loads of fun, and a great time on your surprise holiday!!!

Lots of love (see you tomorrow)

Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse

I don't think I'll be winning Poet Laureate any time soon, but I think it'll do the trick! :thumbsup2

Sounds like you have a great trip planned :) not long now I love the letter from mickey and minnie its a great idea and super cute :cutie:

Excellent job with the poem Puds.

And here was me thinking that the only prose you knew began 'There was a young lady from Ealing'.

Excitement must be mounting in the Chancer household.

Kev

Fabulous! I can't wait to hear all about the kids reactions! x

OMG! OMG! OMG! Two days to go, Two days to go!!!!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! Two days to go, Two days to go!!!!!

:wave2: Hi Jodie!

We're counting the holiday as starting today as the kids have gone to school and staying at their nana's tonight - this means that the suitcases are on the living room floor and the clothes are being packed this morning and we're in packing mode. It's been exciting in itself this morning as we've re-discovered all the new clothes we got for the kids ages ago that we'd forgotten we'd bought!

Got all the holiday money and my jobs this morning are to pack the kids clothes, have a shave (been ordered to!) and check that the Disney travel planning dvd works on the laptop so the kids can watch it tomorrow night while we're at Bewley's. I would have preferred a more important mix of jobs but unfortunately I neglected to make Caroline aware of some items of clothing that needed washing for the holiday and was allocated those jobs as punishment. :rolleyes1

Anyway, got to go, Herr Flick of the Gestapo, err.. I mean my lovely lady, has found me more jobs to do as we speak! :goodvibes

Love the poem, Pudsey! The wee ones will be thrilled, no doubt!

Can't wait to hear how it all unfolds!

Enjoy!

So, the holiday has officially started, Caroline picked Billy and Isabelle up from her mum's this morning, where they'd stayed last night, to ensure that we would be able to get all the cases packed without giving the game away. We'd told the kids I was working away for a couple of nights, which didn't go down very well, though this changed when Caroline had suggested to the kids that they travel over to surprise me by turning up unannounced, with that as their plan, they toddled off to school.

Caroline and myself did the final checks of all the paperwork, passports etc, etc (you'll note that I specifically involved Caroline in this task should any blame need to be attached at a later date) and set off for Leeds train station, where we had a full English breakfast, and a cheeky San Miguel to kick start the holiday. In my disappointment, nay outrage, that there was no brown sauce available to accompany my fine feast, I inadvertently spilt tomato sauce over my pristine white shirt, that I had foolishly decided to wear. :rolleyes1 Caught in a no mans land of confusion as to whether I should utilise the final 45 minutes before my train leaving and returning home to change, thus maintaining a facade of semi-respectability, or to attempt to obscure my inability to eat properly by hiding the mark on my shirt by juggling my ridiculously heavy suitcase and man bag continually for the rest of my journey to Manchester. My laziness dictated the latter approach was the only truly viable option.

Anyone that's been to Leeds knows that we truly are a friendly bunch, but put a newly arrived train with limited seating in front of us, and any sense of decorum disappears as quickly as a fast pass to Toy Story Mania. One quick shoulder charge later, I was in possession of a spot for my suitcase, and a much prized window seat, I graciously accepted the knowing glances from my fellow travellers as they acknowledged my herculean efforts that had secured such luxury. Those of you that have travelled via train over the Pennines will know what a fantastic journey it is, the mill towns of Batley and Huddersfield give a nod to their industrial past, but once beyond you have the rolling hills with beautiful countryside. Today was quite overcast, and once we gained height there was the fantastic spectacle of the mist rolling down from the peaks and into the the villages below - I can imagine that the weather in these remote places can be quite challenging, but I wouldn't mind living in a place which delivers as much when it's sunny, as it does when the weather could be deemed miserable.

Talking of misery, I was soon in Manchester. A brooding town, ever since the House of York banished them over the hills with a flea in their ear, evicting them from picturesque Yorkshire forever. I had considered wearing my Leeds shirt, in celebration of our recent spectacular slaying of the less famous United at Old Trafford, but I figured that the quietly in, quietly out approach was probably more condusive to an enjoyable stay. :thumbsup2

I disembarked at Manchester Airport train station and rang Bewley's from the freephone at the station. They didn't answer. I rang again three times before assuming that I must be doing something wrong. I glanced out of the window and could clearly see the hotel, so I decided to walk over, after all, it couldn't be too far. Whoever penned the phrase appearances can be deceiving, clearly tried to walk from the train station to Bewley's. I toured several car parks, a garage, and a busy dual carriageway before I managed to ascertain a final approach, which unfortunately resulted in me immersing my brand new, limited edition, faultlessly white Adidas Kegler trainers into an inconveniently positioned pool of black gloop. The fact that I had had to speed into the gloop to avoid being knocked over by a van that had specifically speeded up to ensure some form of inconvenience to myself, made matters worse. The mathematicians amongst you will appreciate the equation of pristine white trainers, divided by a pool of black gloop, multiplied by additional weight of ludicrously overladen suitcase, equals maximum devastation. :teacher: :mad::headache::mad:

I sullenly plodded into the reception much like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles when his hire care wasn't at the correct place and he had to walk five miles back to car hire desk. How I laughed when the clerk mentioned that the "phone hadn't stopped ringing", I couldn't resist speculating as to what the phone call may be for, "a lift from the train station perhaps?", but I cut my losses and left for the room. Thankfully, the male trait of not wanting to complain about things and kick up a fuss saved me from returning to reception to complain that none of the lights worked, it's been a while since I travelled, so after showering in the dark I remembered that you're supposed to put the room card in the light switch to make them come on. It's instances like that which will make you understand why Caroline has to be present pretty much permanently to ensure that I can do menial tasks, such as turning lights on. :headache:

Anyway, time for one last quiet brew before my unsuspecting travellers join me, more later... :thumbsup2

So, the holiday has officially started, Caroline picked Billy and Isabelle up from her mum's this morning, where they'd stayed last night, to ensure that we would be able to get all the cases packed without giving the game away. We'd told the kids I was working away for a couple of nights, which didn't go down very well, though this changed when Caroline had suggested to the kids that they travel over to surprise me by turning up unannounced, with that as their plan, they toddled off to school.

Caroline and myself did the final checks of all the paperwork, passports etc, etc (you'll note that I specifically involved Caroline in this task should any blame need to be attached at a later date) and set off for Leeds train station, where we had a full English breakfast, and a cheeky San Miguel to kick start the holiday. In my disappointment, nay outrage, that there was no brown sauce available to accompany my fine feast, I inadvertently spilt tomato sauce over my pristine white shirt, that I had foolishly decided to wear. :rolleyes1 Caught in a no mans land of confusion as to whether I should utilise the final 45 minutes before my train leaving and returning home to change, thus maintaining a facade of semi-respectability, or to attempt to obscure my inability to eat properly by hiding the mark on my shirt by juggling my ridiculously heavy suitcase and man bag continually for the rest of my journey to Manchester. My laziness dictated the latter approach was the only truly viable option.

Anyone that's been to Leeds knows that we truly are a friendly bunch, but put a newly arrived train with limited seating in front of us, and any sense of decorum disappears as quickly as a fast pass to Toy Story Mania. One quick shoulder charge later, I was in possession of a spot for my suitcase, and a much prized window seat, I graciously accepted the knowing glances from my fellow travellers as they acknowledged my herculean efforts that had secured such luxury. Those of you that have travelled via train over the Pennines will know what a fantastic journey it is, the mill towns of Batley and Huddersfield give a nod to their industrial past, but once beyond you have the rolling hills with beautiful countryside. Today was quite overcast, and once we gained height there was the fantastic spectacle of the mist rolling down from the peaks and into the the villages below - I can imagine that the weather in these remote places can be quite challenging, but I wouldn't mind living in a place which delivers as much when it's sunny, as it does when the weather could be deemed miserable.

Talking of misery, I was soon in Manchester. A brooding town, ever since the House of York banished them over the hills with a flea in their ear, evicting them from picturesque Yorkshire forever. I had considered wearing my Leeds shirt, in celebration of our recent spectacular slaying of the less famous United at Old Trafford, but I figured that the quietly in, quietly out approach was probably more condusive to an enjoyable stay. :thumbsup2

I disembarked at Manchester Airport train station and rang Bewley's from the freephone at the station. They didn't answer. I rang again three times before assuming that I must be doing something wrong. I glanced out of the window and could clearly see the hotel, so I decided to walk over, after all, it couldn't be too far. Whoever penned the phrase appearances can be deceiving, clearly tried to walk from the train station to Bewley's. I toured several car parks, a garage, and a busy dual carriageway before I managed to ascertain a final approach, which unfortunately resulted in me immersing my brand new, limited edition, faultlessly white Adidas Kegler trainers into an inconveniently positioned pool of black gloop. The fact that I had had to speed into the gloop to avoid being knocked over by a van that had specifically speeded up to ensure some form of inconvenience to myself, made matters worse. The mathematicians amongst you will appreciate the equation of pristine white trainers, divided by a pool of black gloop, multiplied by additional weight of ludicrously overladen suitcase, equals maximum devastation. :teacher: :mad::headache::mad:

I sullenly plodded into the reception much like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles when his hire care wasn't at the correct place and he had to walk five miles back to car hire desk. How I laughed when the clerk mentioned that the "phone hadn't stopped ringing", I couldn't resist speculating as to what the phone call may be for, "a lift from the train station perhaps?", but I cut my losses and left for the room. Thankfully, the male trait of not wanting to complain about things and kick up a fuss saved me from returning to reception to complain that none of the lights worked, it's been a while since I travelled, so after showering in the dark I remembered that you're supposed to put the room card in the light switch to make them come on. It's instances like that which will make you understand why Caroline has to be present pretty much permanently to ensure that I can do menial tasks, such as turning lights on. :headache:

Anyway, time for one last quiet brew before my unsuspecting travellers join me, more later... :thumbsup2

Glad to have caught you, my friend ;) Would love to have seen you mincing into the hotel in pristine gloopy trainers :lmao::lmao:

Can't wait to hear all about the surprise.....rock on :thumbsup2

lol Puds. I never realised you were such a messy sort of chap - shirt and trainers ruined in one trip!

Very much looking forward to your full report.

Kev

And so, as I return prior to my two week sabbatical, to the unveiling of the web of deceit we had created.

I got a phone call about 4pm from an excited Billy and Isabelle, they declared that the had "driven over to Manchester to see me", and came running up to the room. Clearly both are potential police officers, as my room got a thorough going over, and it wasn't long before a large yellow envelope with Mickey Mouse on it was discovered. Caroline joined them on the bed, and read the card to them both.

SDC12320.jpg

It was funny watching their reactions, Isabelle sussed that something was going on relatively quickly, but Billy wasn't sure what was happening. Isabelle dashed off at the part where it said to look for the passports, and was very excited. Billy asked where we were going. :rotfl: Once it sunk in, both kids were excited and Isabelle became quite emotional, when we'd chatted about what we could do at WDW, she really struggled to come to terms with it all. Billy asked where we going again.

SDC12323.jpg

Isabelle was mildly excited at the news, Billy thought we were flying immediately and headed for the runway

SDC12329.jpg

Too much to take for our little lady

SDC12331.jpg

Always read the small print, however enticing the contract

SDC12322.jpg

Passport's located, just one more sleep to go! :banana:

We gave the kids some time to jump around and let off some steam, before we got the cases from the car and parked at Terminal One. Both kids had presents from both sets of family, which widened the conspiracy and made them equally culpable, phone calls to both involved lots of thanks.

Tea was in the brasserie at Bewley's, minestrone soup, steak with pepper sauce for me, soup starter and salmon main for Caroline, chicken nuggets for Bill and Isabelle plastered pasta bolognaise all over the place. Ice cream for Bill, chocolate cake for Caroline and toffee pudding for Isabelle. Considering the two children's meals were free, the bill still came to £60 (including tip) though that included a pint of Heineken and a glass of Pinot Grigio, which caused my stiff upper lip to quiver but as it was paid for by month's of copper blighting my pockets I couldn't really complain. The waitress was the same one that had served us when we stayed over for our DLP trip, but she wasn't as engaging with the kids as she had been on that trip, however I have to say that the food was extremely good.

And so, we returned to the room and after watching the Disney trip planning dvd, we toasted our two week holiday with a drop of the old bubbly, the mildly posh stuff for us, the less posh, less alcoholic (read none!) stuff for the little 'uns.

SDC12348.jpg

The kids settled down and went to sleep a mere two hours later than normal.

And there I'll leave it for it. It was a brilliant feeling to genuinely surprise the kids, I was feeling a little guilty that we had not had an obvious holiday throughout their six week break, but here we sit on the eve of our flight to Florida. Billy has struggled to comprehend what's ahead of him, and will be blown away by our Florida holiday, Isabelle really touched us with how appreciative and grateful she was, and is. Caroline is beaming. Life is good.

See thee later. :thumbsup2

How fantastic - I am so glad all your planning went off without a hitch (well bar the messy shirt and ruined trainers):rotfl:

Hope you have the most amazing holiday and can't wait to read all about it.

I have loved reading your pre-trip report and you really make me laugh - so I know it will be a good one.

Tammy

I'm so pleased that the surprise went according to plan. I hope you all have an amazing holiday :thumbsup2

You must have been so relieved it all went to plan!

Sounded like a fabulous night before, enjoy the main event and I cannot wait to hear all about from a Yorkshiremans point of view, nay, a Pudsey fella's point of view! xx

Oh im so pleased you had such a lovely response from the kids:love:

Really looking forward to hearing more about your trip:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter