Fort Chatter

Did they offer to move you to another resort. If the Fort will be closed for a couple weeks or more, I wonder if they'll continue to shift guests to other resorts or you'll just have the reschedule/cancel option?
No offer other than cancel or reschedule. I’m using Tracey from dreams so she’s been helping. Our check in date is 10/6 so from another post saying 10/6 could be a reopening date we may get lucky but I doubt it.

No offer other than cancel or reschedule.
At this point, they probably don't know if the Fort will be open. Since they don't know, they can't/won't offer anything yet. So, right now, the only options you have is to reschedule, cancel or wait.

When there is a definite answer on the Fort being closed, they should reach out.

j

At this point, they probably don't know if the Fort will be open. Since they don't know, they can't/won't offer anything yet. So, right now, the only options you have is to reschedule, cancel or wait.

When there is a definite answer on the Fort being closed, they should reach out.

j
Yeah we are taking a wait and see approach

I schedule appointments for an Orlando RV tech. He has clients who are having to reschedule their appointments with him at The Fort because they've been told it will be closed until at least October 7.

I schedule appointments for an Orlando RV tech. He has clients who are having to reschedule their appointments with him at The Fort because they've been told it will be closed until at least October 7.
Have they been told this by Disney? We have reservations starting 10/6 for a cabin and the only thing we’ve been told was that we need to reschedule or cancel.

It sounds like they don't know if the Fort will be open on the 6th yet. Only option is either reschedule, cancel or wait. As soon as Disney knows if your arrival date will be impacted, they will be able to offer something else.

The latest I have heard of people being moved is Tuesday Oct 4th.

j

What is the issue exactly? Is is still flooded and you can’t camp? Do the cabins flood?
Fort Wilderness experienced the exact same conditions as the surrounding area. Local reports have Ft. W getting 12+ inches of rain and Cat 1 hurricane winds. The damage to trees and structures could be the same as other areas experiencing those conditions. The electrical grid could likewise need to be dried out or repaired and the campsites cleared of debris

Fort Wilderness experienced the exact same conditions as the surrounding area. Local reports have Ft. W getting 12+ inches of rain and Cat 1 hurricane winds. The damage to trees and structures could be the same as other areas experiencing those conditions. The electrical grid could likewise need to be dried out or repaired and the campsites cleared of debris

I just an hour ago got my power back and I didn’t have nearly the flooding they did in Orlando.

I just an hour ago got my power back and I didn’t have nearly the flooding they did in Orlando.
WDW has power or the parks wouldn't be open. The problems at the FORT would be downed trees and flooding. Many areas will require pumps to remove the water. We've been there several times, where slightly above normal rainfall created many new lakes so I can't imagine what happened after IAN.

WDW has power or the parks wouldn't be open. The problems at the FORT would be downed trees and flooding. Many areas will require pumps to remove the water. We've been there several times, where slightly above normal rainfall created many new lakes so I can't imagine what happened after IAN.

Yep, I've seen a few times where after some local heavy rain (maybe a rapid downpour) that caused some water issues in the parks ... only to return to the Fort and find our site turned into a shallow lake. I can only extrapolate from that for the Ian damage.

Oh no doubt power is not the issue. I just know we didn’t get the same winds and rain Orlando did and it was enough to take trees down to knock out my power for four days, I can’t imagine the mess those pine trees made at the fort and the flooded sites.

Oh no doubt power is not the issue. I just know we didn’t get the same winds and rain Orlando did and it was enough to take trees down to knock out my power for four days, I can’t imagine the mess those pine trees made at the fort and the flooded sites.
I know after Irma they were cutting trees 24/7, but they also had to repave some road areas where the trees came down and punctured the roadways.

Power to the parks that are built up , remember the tunnels underneath, have back up plans to remove water and withstand winds, rain and flooding and hurricane forces. The fort campground has underground power lines in a lower area, and will be prone to busting with fallen trees, and water infiltration in the conduits if the water reaches a certian level. One area has nothing to do with the other. Its two compleatly diffrent animals.

Yep, I've seen a few times where after some local heavy rain (maybe a rapid downpour) that caused some water issues in the parks ... only to return to the Fort and find our site turned into a shallow lake. I can only extrapolate from that for the Ian damage.
We arrived a few years ago the day after a major rain. We were in the 1800 loop in an interior site. The water had pooled up to the back of our site. Over in the 1700 loop the area surrounded by the interior sites was a pond.

Power to the parks that are built up , remember the tunnels underneath, have back up plans to remove water and withstand winds, rain and flooding and hurricane forces. The fort campground has underground power lines in a lower area, and will be prone to busting with fallen trees, and water infiltration in the conduits if the water reaches a certian level. One area has nothing to do with the other. Its two compleatly diffrent animals.
Underground fairs much better during storms. If water was a problem how come we have thousands of miles of Transatlantic cables? Same for all the outer Islands all around Florida. If the lines are buried according to code a tree falling is not going to destroy a power line. That was even stressed during IAN they said if your power is underground you have a much better chance of not losing it.

Underground fairs much better during storms. If water was a problem how come we have thousands of miles of Transatlantic cables? Same for all the outer Islands all around Florida.
Only in certain situations, it dosen't fair better when the exposed ends are underwater. Thats when you get shocked. If the water rises higher then the electeical box you have problems. They have water pumps with electrical cords that can go underwater, and when used corectly they are fine. Add water to the point you plug them in and you are not. Its a saftey issue they dont want to take a chance on. All the boxes will probably get checked and dried out. Disney doesn't need bad publicity about the kid that got shoked at the campground. Again, you are compairing 2 totally diffrent things.

Only in certain situations, it dosen't fair better when the exposed ends are underwater. Thats when you get shocked. If the water rises higher then the electeical box you have problems. They have water pumps with electrical cords that can go underwater, and when used corectly they are fine. Add water to the point you plug them in and you are not. Its a saftey issue they dont want to take a chance on. All the boxes will probably get checked and dried out. Disney doesn't need bad publicity about the kid that got shoked at the campground. Again, you are compairing 2 totally diffrent things.
How many power poles and lines do you see on WDW property? Almost none because 99% of their utilities are underground feeding all the Parks and Resorts. All I said was they probably have power.

Last edited:
Every campsite has a power feed thats closer to the ground? As for the infastruture, no not many overhead lines that I see, but disney is great at hiding stuff. I have no idea where their substation and transmission lines come in, while that could be a problem , its not what I was speaking about. Its the power feeds at each campsite thats the main problem. Each campsite has a short pole with a power feed that will need to be checked and dried out?
How many power poles and lines do you see on WDW property? Almost none because 99% of their utilities are underground feeding all the Parks and Resorts. All said was they probably have power.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!