For those who stream exclusively

We pay for cable, but we don't use it. The package price through our cable provider is simply cheaper than internet by itself--by about $15/month! We stream all our tv shows and movies, either on our phones, kindles, or laptops, or on the blu-ray player in the living room. We have Prime with Showtime added, and Netflix, and Hulu. I share the cost of the Netflix and Hulu with one relative, and I share Prime with another relative, so I don't pay full price for any of the services. If I was paying full price I would probably only have Netflix. We don't watch enough of the Hulu and Prime shows to make that worthwhile. This is the first year I've kept Hulu year-round. For the last 6-7 years I've gotten Hulu only for the summer months, when the kids and I were out of school/work.

We pay for cable, but we don't use it. The package price through our cable provider is simply cheaper than internet by itself--by about $15/month! We stream all our tv shows and movies, either on our phones, kindles, or laptops, or on the blu-ray player in the living room. We have Prime with Showtime added, and Netflix, and Hulu. I share the cost of the Netflix and Hulu with one relative, and I share Prime with another relative, so I don't pay full price for any of the services. If I was paying full price I would probably only have Netflix. We don't watch enough of the Hulu and Prime shows to make that worthwhile. This is the first year I've kept Hulu year-round. For the last 6-7 years I've gotten Hulu only for the summer months, when the kids and I were out of school/work.

It sounds like you and I are I are in the same boat

The reason I went with YouTube tv (which I love) is I like having a dvr. Verizon was charging $30 to have a home dvr and second box (just for the equipment). That’s basically what I pay for YouTube tv (it’s $40/no taxes but I pay with discounted gift cards). So I’m paying $80 for internet, live tv (including sports for my ds, bravo, news and local networks for me), and cloud dvr. My local cable companies can’t touch this.

Just our internet is about $82 a month with all the taxes and fees.
I'm sure we could get some promotional deal and be paying not much more than $100 for cable and internet for a few years
We would probably still want Netflix and Amazon Prime anyhow though
It is when we start needing to add on multiple streaming services that I am starting to wonder if we will eventually be back to paying as much as we did for cable (or more!l

What about sports? I am considering cutting cables, but would love to watch stuff like NFL, Olympics, World Cup...etc.

We rarely watch live TV but we have playstation vue for football season. We have Netflix, been a member for many many years, Prime because we like the free shipping but we do watch a lot of their shows. Hulu is probably the one we use the least.

What about sports? I am considering cutting cables, but would love to watch stuff like NFL, Olympics, World Cup...etc.
I don't feel like we cut back going from Fios to YouTube TV. Still have the major networks, ESPN, MLB, NBA, etc.

I currently subscribe to Amazon Prime, YouTubeTV, and Hulu.

I pay $5.99/mo for Amazon Prime.

I pay $35/mo for YouTubeTV.

I pay $0.99/mo for Hulu.

I may Pause my YouTubeTV Subscription in the future, keeping my grandfathered-in price if I want to resume my Membership.

I may subscribe to Philo in the future for $16/mo.

YouTubeTV offers a lot of the channels that I currently watch such as ABC, The CW, CBS, NBC, Disney, TNT, SyFy.

Some of those channels I can easily get for free via Indoor Antenna or Mobile App, but I love the DVR on YouTubeTV. When I didn't have YouTubeTV, sometimes I would forget to watch one of my shows, and I didn't have any way to watch it because reruns are rarely a thing these days. So I love that I am able to record all of my shows on YouTubeTV with the DVR.

YouTubeTV is lacking some of the channels that a family member likes [Hallmark, Animal Planet, TLC, Food Network, Lifetime] so becoming a Philo Subscriber for $16/mo would interest that family member.

Overall, I'm not sure if services like YouTubeTV and Philo are worth it for me personally. I can learn to live without the shows that those services offer if they aren't available on Hulu. My family member on the other hand, I'm not sure if they could live without TV. It's a struggle just to get them used to the idea of streaming services instead of the traditional Satellite/Cable TV, especially because they like flipping channels. They still haven't tried using the Roku yet due to the fact that they currently have access to DirecTV for free. They will have to learn to use the Roku eventually when we move though because they won't have access to DirecTV.

I really don't want to pay $57.98 for all of these Streaming Services, but it is way cheaper than a Satellite/Cable Subscription and having to pay all of their ridiculous fees for Set-Top Boxes, HD Service, Broadcast Fees, etc..

Also, I am currently paying $49.99 for Performance Internet from Comcast.

I do think that Streaming Services are the better option over traditional Satellite/Cable TV Services though.

I switched to YouTube TV almost a year ago and love it. Internet Service is $39.99, YTTV $35, Netflix, Hulu free with cell service, Amazon Prime for free shipping. So for about $85 I have everything I need. I agree that if you must have hallmark, HGTV, Food Net. then Philo is an easy answer for $16 but I haven't found it necessary. YTTV has really figured it out and I expect better things down the road as they add and make changes. Their customer service is awesome as well ...which is almost hard to believe.

I switched to YouTube TV almost a year ago and love it. Internet Service is $39.99, YTTV $35, Netflix, Hulu free with cell service, Amazon Prime for free shipping. So for about $85 I have everything I need. I agree that if you must have hallmark, HGTV, Food Net. then Philo is an easy answer for $16 but I haven't found it necessary. YTTV has really figured it out and I expect better things down the road as they add and make changes. Their customer service is awesome as well ...which is almost hard to believe.

Sorry for being off-topic..

What Mobile Carrier do you have? I like that some Carriers offer Netflix, Hulu, or even Amazon Prime Membership as a bonus for using their service. I believe we are currently grandfathered-in to an old Family Plan at Metro by T-Mobile [formerly MetroMCS] with 2 Lines for $50. I really want to go with Xfinity Mobile because Service is free for Xfinity Internet Subscribers. You only have to pay for the Data you use. They don't currently allow Android Users to Bring Your Own Device though. I don't want to have to purchase a Verizon Phone just to use Xfinity Mobile.

Sorry for being off-topic..

What Mobile Carrier do you have? I like that some Carriers offer Netflix, Hulu, or even Amazon Prime Membership as a bonus for using their service. I believe we are currently grandfathered-in to an old Family Plan at Metro by T-Mobile [formerly MetroMCS] with 2 Lines for $50. I really want to go with Xfinity Mobile because Service is free for Xfinity Internet Subscribers. You only have to pay for the Data you use. They don't currently allow Android Users to Bring Your Own Device though. I don't want to have to purchase a Verizon Phone just to use Xfinity Mobile.

I’ve got Sprint ...they were offering it 2018 not sure if it is still going on. It’s basic Hulu(with commercials) but it does the job as a fill in

We use DirectTV Now. Our decision came down primarily to what me and my wife watch while also making sure the kids had access to the shows they love. DirectTV Now had both Nick JR and Disney which is a huge win.

Reactions: GAN
I have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I use Hulu and DH uses Netflix. My kids watch too much youtube.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter