For those of you who *hate* heavy DL crowds and went during heavy crowds...

Are FP end times being enforced? I have read on some threads that they are or can you use the FP anytime after the start time?
The FP sticky thread says to collect as many in the morning as you can (by paying attention to times for next pull) and use them later in the day even though some would be past their end time -is this still possible?

Are FP end times being enforced? I have read on some threads that they are or can you use the FP anytime after the start time?
The FP sticky thread says to collect as many in the morning as you can (by paying attention to times for next pull) and use them later in the day even though some would be past their end time -is this still possible?

No! The times are enforced. If you show up after your time is up you will not be able to ride. This has been going on for a couple of years now.

We just go back and the crowds were crazy! It was much worse than we expected. I'd say if you are concerned about the crowds, don't go lol.

I hate crowds, and always plan trips during off times. However, I was in town and had the chance to go on Saturday, which was a super busy day and I was able to do a ton with proper planning.

- Arrived at gates at 7:25.
- Let in at 7:35
- Waited by rope by Soarin
- Road Soarin (first ride of the day)
- Waited for a friend to arrive who came in about 8:35.
- Got FP for Soarin
- Got FP for WOC
- Rode TSM (about 20 min wait)
- Used FP for Soarin
- Got FP for TOT
- Rode Monsters Inc (walk on)
- Rode Chew Chew Train (5 min)
- Rode RSR Single Rider (15 min)
- TOT with FP
- Got another FP for Soarin
- Ate lunch at burger place beside Soarin (waited about 15 min and we got a free drink for waiting so long). We got in line about 11:45, but by the time we left there the line up was crazy.
- Walked around Grand California hotel
- Little Mermaid (10 min)
- Golden Zephyr (walk on)
- Ferris Wheel (20 min) Non Swinging (swinging had a crazy line)
- Got FP for California Screamin
- Road Soarin
- Decided we didn't want to ride California Screamin so gave away FP
- Watched Frozen sing along
- Watched Aladdin (The line did close about 20 min before the show as it was PACKED and every seat was full)
- RSR Single Rider (about 25 min)
- Lined up for Pixar Parade and watched that (got a place second row right as show started (this has a very long route so easy to get spots))
- Dinner at Flos V8 cafe
- Shopping for about 1 or 1.5 hours
- WOC

Keep in mind this was at a very leisurely pace, looking in lots of stores, lots of photos etc.

There were a lot of people on the walk ways and it was very busy, but we got to do everything we wanted to do, and I would do it again. Of course I prefer the slower times, but I had a great time!

So since the OP asked, did you regret going? I'm just curious. :earsgirl:
I wish we'd gone to WDW instead but I don't regret it. If you're concerned about the crowds and you think it might be an issue for you, then you should rethink when you're going to go. We've never been to WDW when it's that crowded and we won't ever go to either DL or WDW when it's crowded again. For us, it does take away some of the magic. To add to that, if you're not able to go frequently or maybe only once and you're concerned about crowds, then plan around it. I knew it was going to be busy and I thought I was prepared for it but I wasn't. We've been when it's not nearly as crowded and for us it was just much better all around. So we tried it when it was busy and it wasn't for us. Now we know...

We've never been to WDW when it's that crowded and we won't ever go to either DL or WDW when it's crowded again. For us, it does take away some of the magic. To add to that, if you're not able to go frequently or maybe only once and you're concerned about crowds, then plan around it. I knew it was going to be busy and I thought I was prepared for it but I wasn't. We've been when it's not nearly as crowded and for us it was just much better all around. So we tried it when it was busy and it wasn't for us. Now we know...

I definitely hear what you are saying. We usually go AFTER Thanksgiving. 5 years ago we went on Black Friday and the crowd was insane and I said never again. In the years since we went on Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. This year we went on Wednesday, Thanksgiving Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday because we got APs. Our friends joined us for the last 3 days and their kids were not used to waiting in lines at all! In previous years we rarely waited and rarely needed to use FPs.

Because we just bought APs (we live in AZ) and we had 5 days to visit I wasn't overly concerned with the crowds. Navigating through the sea of people, the excessive wait for Hyperspace Mountain..(we rode 4 times with FP but the morning we didn't have FPs our group waited and it took 2 hours from start of wait to get off. My husband and I didn't wait because I can't go that long without a potty break or 3), and the crowds on Main Street after the parade. Those were my only gripes.

My husband and I regularly look at the MouseWait app and now the Disneyland official app. I don't know how not crowded it ever gets. It seems to me it's always crowded. But, we're going to try different times this year and we'll be able to see how it is in Spring and October(but I'm sure that's just as busy as November/December).

Last edited:
How was it? Did you regret going? Did you adjust ok?

I know it's always crowded but I've always tried to avoid the crazy periods (weekends, xmas, etc) but our Dec 6-11 trip is looking like it's gonna be nuts.

I am really worried (maybe freaking out) about crowds and my family of 5. Kids are 7, almost 9 and 11.

I'd love to hear from those of you who really hate the peak season and then went on to survive it...

thanks everybody!:thanks:
My wife and I were there between 11/21 and 11/26. We encountered the biggest crowds in my memory. Probably on the 24th and then I also remember BIG crowds the 25th and 26th-the biggest crowds were all at Disney Land. We did not regret going and we adjusted very well-also had some very precious memories/experiences.

Lessons learned: we were educated and had a plan. We've been listening to podcasts this year and were anticipating big crowds, so we had specific plans for the mornings and when we expected the biggest crowds/what we planned to do during those times.

E.g. we watched the fireworks and PTN our first night there-when we were fresh. We knew where we were going to sit, got there early, and sat in shifts for the couple hours while we waited (not necessary in hindsight, but it was helpful. fyi).

We were strategic with our MMs and got Peter Pan and the Matterhorn during those times with minimal waits. There was luck involved here also-PP wasn't working on our first approach, so we had to flex. We also used the MM to be there when the fast pass line opened for hyper space mountain (didn't really like it and didn't ride it again. fyi). We also did TSMM during a MM and rode it more times during that run then we ever have over the course of 4 years.

We never waited in any long lines and either used opportunity (luck, earlier mornings, or later evenings) or fast passes to get on the most popular rides. Scratch that, we did wait in line for the Aladdin show, but I don't know how that can be avoided.

Generally we avoided the crowds or left the areas when we encountered them-always around parades at Disneyland. So have strategies for negotiating the parades/fireworks. We discovered many rides close when they go on and getting around can slow to a crawl or even stop-so try to anticipate them.

We also had some great experiences outside of the parks. E.g. looking around the DLH and PP-they all have beautiful holiday decorations

We also targeted our days/times for Trader Sams and the Cove Bar-aimed for an early lunch-11 am and never had to wait more than 10 minutes (no wait at all at Trades Sams-love that place!).

I won't sugar coat it, the crowds were bad, but we probably had our best trip ever. You can too. Just be prepared.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just be prepared. Good luck!
While DL is a magical place, it certainly isn't the Lego Movie, where everything is awesome. :laughing:

I prepare ahead of time and usually have a good time. Whereas my friend, Jill, just shows up at 9 a.m., complains about bag check times, line lengths, food lines taking too long (go figure, she tries for lunch at noon and dinner at 5) and not being able to find a spot to watch the parade because she just got off of a ride and ran to watch said parade.

A little planning ahead of time can't hurt. Learn how the FP's work. Know which rides you "have to" go on and which you can try to make. Eat early - added bonus is watching the late-coming vultures circle tables, waiting and watching for you to finish that.last.bite. Sometimes being able to offer your table to someone is completely gratifying. ::yes::

I also am a huge advocate of using a backpack for a bottle of water and 2 granola bars - just in case I look at any given plan and decide to chuck it. :rolleyes:

We were in the parks December 5-8. I went in thinking I was prepared for heavy crowds. I wasn't. It was incredibly crowded, even on Tuesday. At times, especially over the weekend, you literally could not move in the parks. On Saturday it took us 40 minutes to get from the turnstile line to Big Thunder Ranch. Much of that was due to Candlelight Processional set up in the front of the park, but it was also because of overcrowding and really poor crowd control and traffic control.

To me, it felt like I have always imagined it would feel during Christmas week. It was still Disneyland, it was still fun...but not as fun. The massive crowds and long lines everywhere affected our enjoyment. Even if you plan well, use fastpass, get there early and stay late, etc. - you still have to walk around and get from place to place. And it is just hard to stay full of the vacation spirit when it is constantly a slog just to get from point to point.

I also felt like many CMs were rude or at least short with us - something I have never really experienced. I think the crowds must have an effect on how they handle their jobs.

We moved our trip from mid November to this week and I really regret it. We are east Coasters, so we visit WDW often but DL is a special treat every few years. I know we won't be back for a while and this trip just wasn't fulfilling.

We were in the parks December 5-8. I went in thinking I was prepared for heavy crowds. I wasn't. It was incredibly crowded, even on Tuesday. At times, especially over the weekend, you literally could not move in the parks. On Saturday it took us 40 minutes to get from the turnstile line to Big Thunder Ranch. Much of that was due to Candlelight Processional set up in the front of the park, but it was also because of overcrowding and really poor crowd control and traffic control.

To me, it felt like I have always imagined it would feel during Christmas week. It was still Disneyland, it was still fun...but not as fun. The massive crowds and long lines everywhere affected our enjoyment. Even if you plan well, use fastpass, get there early and stay late, etc. - you still have to walk around and get from place to place. And it is just hard to stay full of the vacation spirit when it is constantly a slog just to get from point to point.

I also felt like many CMs were rude or at least short with us - something I have never really experienced. I think the crowds must have an effect on how they handle their jobs.

We moved our trip from mid November to this week and I really regret it. We are east Coasters, so we visit WDW often but DL is a special treat every few years. I know we won't be back for a while and this trip just wasn't fulfilling.

Yikes! Now I'm a little petrified about our trip this weekend :(

Yikes! Now I'm a little petrified about our trip this weekend :(

Sorry! I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I am just a person who usually takes "it is so crowded" with a grain of salt. We have been to WDW and DL many times where I come back and there are posters complaining about crowds and I think, "I didn't think it was that crowded."

But this was just...like nothing I have ever seen. Saturday was beyond anything I could have imagined.

But it was still Disneyland. There were still wonderful moments. The second parade was super empty. The early entries on the weekend (7am) were wonderfully uncrowded. We met characters we can't meet in Florida - and character lines are still very short, compared to WDW. The weather was perfect.

Sorry! I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I am just a person who usually takes "it is so crowded" with a grain of salt. We have been to WDW and DL many times where I come back and there are posters complaining about crowds and I think, "I didn't think it was that crowded."

But this was just...like nothing I have ever seen. Saturday was beyond anything I could have imagined.

But it was still Disneyland. There were still wonderful moments. The second parade was super empty. The early entries on the weekend (7am) were wonderfully uncrowded. We met characters we can't meet in Florida - and character lines are still very short, compared to WDW. The weather was perfect.

All good to know! :) This is one of those trips that we planned without realizing that the 60th anniversary would still be going on and that the crowds would be higher because of the closures coming in January. We are used to WDW at the same time in December and it is usually pleasant and not crowded at all in the first 2 weeks of December, so we were thinking Disneyland would be similar. Nope, lol. We are lucky, though, that we are able to visit the parks once a year, so it is okay if we can't do *everything* this trip. And DH is aware that we need to be early risers (which is not the norm for us on Disney trips :) ). :santa::santa::santa:

I scheduled our DL trip for this November 19 - 21st thinking it wouldn't be so bad crowd wise. I was dead wrong! The 20th and 21st were so packed. I am glad we rode all of the Disneyland rides we wanted to on the 19th in anticipation of the crowds. This was our first Christmas trip and I have to agree with the PP and felt that many CM's had a short fuse. I don't blame them at all because I encountered a ton of rude people this trip. We did make the most out of the trip despite the crowds. My recommendation is if it gets too crowded head over to Olaf's Snow Fest at DCA. On Friday we hung out there for hours. It was very relaxing and the kids had a blast playing in the snow and sledding. That was a highlight of our trip since we live in the Bay Area and my kids have only seen snow once. It was funny because we went to Big Thunder Ranch for lunch on Thursday and they had this older gentlemen who is a singer and sang to our kids at lunch. We go to Olaf's Snow Fest on Friday and there he was again! The kids loved that. I wish I got his name. He was awesome and made our kids feel special even when they called him out saying they saw him at the BBQ lunch, lol!

That being said we will never go back during Christmas again. Granted we went at the 60th anniversary on top of Hyperspace Mountain opening AND we went on a Friday and Saturday. I think we will stick to our regular summertime trips or off season.

Ok we went Friday and yes crowds were up but because we planed and went early we got alot done, sat I was sitting all day for Candlelight, Sunday was off and on slow and crowded. Tue and wed were less.

I will make a much more detailed post later. Just got home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter