For those folks driving!

JoeCathy,

Thanks for the info. I did notice the different color route indicating a toll road. From the looks of it I will only have 1 toll crossing the chesapeake bay bridge, I hope I'm right. No worries I'll bring plenty of quarters just in case. I thought there was one in VA somewhere, but after some research I couldn't find any info on it.

PMFJI, but if you are taking 270 to I-495 to I-95S to I-4 to Orlando, you should not be going on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!!!:eek:

We'll be traveling that route in November. I'm not aware of any tolls along that route, unless you choose to take the Greene Way around Orlando to WDW, then the tolls would total around $5.00.

Originally posted by MulanMom
PMFJI, but if you are taking 270 to I-495 to I-95S to I-4 to Orlando, you should not be going on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!!!:eek:

We'll be traveling that route in November. I'm not aware of any tolls along that route, unless you choose to take the Greene Way around Orlando to WDW, then the tolls would total around $5.00.

OMG!! I certaintly didn't mean the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!!! LOL! That would really be out of the way LOL! But their is a bridge that you do have to cross, I just can't remember the name! :eek: Thanks for the correction. People would start to wonder if I should really be driving! Make sure to report on your drive down and back when you return. If you have any advice, I would love to hear it!

Thanks

Just drove down and back from Carver, MA

I used I95 the whole way and it was not that bad, just had minor delays with night paving in NJ and MD, but had a MAJOR delay in GA where the hiway went from 4 lanes to 2 lanes outside of Savanna. There was an accident which closes both lanes and we sat for an hour.

There are no tolls from VA to Orlando on I95.

There are plenty of tolls in and around Orlando unless you only use I4 which may or may not be congested depending on the time of day, etc.

417 seems to be the best way around the city and exits at Disney. It's between $3 and $6 to use 417

Originally posted by cranbiz
Just drove down and back from Carver, MA

I used I95 the whole way and it was not that bad, just had minor delays with night paving in NJ and MD, but had a MAJOR delay in GA where the hiway went from 4 lanes to 2 lanes outside of Savanna. There was an accident which closes both lanes and we sat for an hour.

There are no tolls from VA to Orlando on I95.

There are plenty of tolls in and around Orlando unless you only use I4 which may or may not be congested depending on the time of day, etc.

417 seems to be the best way around the city and exits at Disney. It's between $3 and $6 to use 417

Thanks for the toll information! I hope your trip was a great one!

Thanks for the I-95 info. I'll be doing the drive for the first time in 9 years next year. By the way, my In-Laws live in Deltona. Nice town.

NYfinfan - You're right, it is a nice town. And the fact that it's about an hour to the world is a plus! I bought there as my son is attending the American Motorcycle Institute in Daytona Beach (it was cheaper than renting). Where abouts in Deltona are your inlaws? My new house is near the intersection of Saxon and Providence.

kwdietrich1 - I had a great trip, not long enough though. I'm glad that I could help you. Hope you have a great trip.

Flying down for 5 days over Veterans day ( will include a trip to MK i think - Now I can get FL resident AP's) and driving down again in early December (big family trip)

cranbiz

If I remember correctly, my BIL and SIL live close to I-4 off of Saxon and my FIL & MIL live about 15 minutes off the Ramp off of Howland Blvd. They both sustained some roof damage from the Hurricane's but of course it was just below their deductible. This is the start of the time of year that I wish I didn't move back to the Snowy NorthEast. :D

NYfinfan,

We got lucky and only lost about 3 shingles. From what I saw on my last trip, they both could have been much worse. Many neighborhoods in Deltona were hit hard. I have a friend in Lake Mary who lost half of his roof from Francis and the other half from Jeanne.

I'm a newbie to this site. I linked to the wdwinfo cite mentioned and checked out distance and driving time. Beware, it's very misleading. Having driven from Columbia, MD quite a few years ago (1989), with 3 and 5 year olds, it took us 14 hours with stops every 2-3 hours. We've flown since. My inlaws have done it several times over the last 5 years and they're in their 70s and it takes them no more than 14. Their info on this site says 17 hours from DC? That's way over what it should take anyone. They also say use 50mph as avg. 60 is more like it. We stopped in SC on the way down and drove straight through on the way back. I'm now in Loudoun Country, VA and just my dh and I (kids in college) will be driving next fall and don't expect it to take more than 14 hours.

Also, we never use the DC Beltway unless it's the only way to get somewhere. Especially with the Springfield Interchange construction that's ongoing. We go through/around Manassas on 234 to 619 to I-95 at Triangle, VA. That saves us at least 20-30 minutes. But, that is really a "locals" route since 619 is a 2 lane road that runs through Prince William Forest and probably isn't on some highway maps.

My family drove down in August from Northeast Massachusetts.

One stipulation. I had to avoid major bridges and tunnels.
My wife has a fear of them.

So we took 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 to 4

In the car were : DW, DD (3.5), DS (.7), MIL, FIL and myself.
We left Friday night around midnight (I'll never do that again, but we were on a crash course with a hurricane coming up the coast :-) ).

Our first hotel stop was in Roanoke, VA. at about 5:30 PM on Saturday night. Woke up Sunday morning, left at about 7 am and next stop was Daytona (beach) at about 7 pm on Sunday night.

Woke up early on Monday morning, my daughter got dressed in her tink outfit and we took about 1 hour to drive into Disney World.

This was our first time driving. Things that I've learned.

1. It sounds crazy, but even if you have your route planned out. Bring maps of the entire east coast. We avoided terrible accidents that had the highways stopped for hours by going around back roads, etc.

2. Consider the ages of your children. We were actually more concerned about 400 bathroom breaks from our recently potty trained DD (3.5) . She had no problems though. It turned out that our DS (.7) had issues nursing, etc. while in the car. So we had to make more than anticipated stops on the way.

3. Don't bring your in-laws (just kidding). Seriously though with two additional people who are not in the immediate family changes the dynamic of the trip. It ended taking us slightly longer, because we had more stops with the bladders of my in-laws and the nursing of my son. It's a consideration.

4. Everyone in the family truckster sounds good in theory, but in reality, although we had seating for everyone. There wasn't a lot of room and made the trip a little cramped.

5. Don't stay at LaQuinta inn in Daytona. They overbooked the hotel, and it was next to a "seedy" looking bar with poeple drinking outside. We ended up getting moved to the La Quinta Inns and Suites on Daytona Beach which were o.k.

6. If you are a "sleepy" kind of person at night. Do all your driving during the daylight. It was extremely difficult for me after the sun went down to maintain after many hours of driving. I wish I was built for it, but I am not. At one point I pulled over, and purchased 2 Starbucks Double expresso shots. (4 shots) to stay awake. I was desperate and it worked.

Other than that... It was great! Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the trip report. We'll be driving down next October. I've done the drive twice but never with the Family.

1st Question: You said that you would never leave at Midnight again but didnt say why. Im curious because I thought it would be better for the kids to sleep while we drive. What do you think?

Sorry nyfinfan,

Let me clarify. It would have been advantageous to leave at night just for the reason you stated. We would have covered a lot of road in the time my DD (3.5) was sleeping. However, my DS (.7m at the time) was a terrible sleeper, so he still slowed down the progress and any benefit of leaving at that time.

Secondly, I had been up since 6 that same morning. I am already a very sleepy night driver, so it was sketchy for a bit (until about hour 3).
That's when I caught a second wind and felt good.

But I don't do well night driving unless I sleep a good amount that same day.
You probably don't have that kind of problem. That's an issue I have.

Hope that clears it up.

We've driven from PA for all 3 of our Disney trips & we're planning trip #4 for next year. Not as far as Mass. or NY, I realize, though still pretty far. But we truly enjoy the trip. I suffer from extreme motion sickness when I fly and so far no medicine has really helped. Since it takes several days for me to feel normal after a flight...well, who wants to feel like that on vacation? Lucky for me I LOVE the drive. I travel with my DSis - I'm a widow & her husband hates to travel - my son & her daughter, both now 10. We leave here in PA by 7:00 A.M. My DSis is a 'Day Person' so driving at night is out of the question. Plus part of the fun is seeing all the scenery on the way.

We travel down the PA turnpike (we're in the Poconos) to the Blue Route to I-95. We meet up with my DB, DSIL, nephew & niece (ages 10 & 9), in Maryland (usually Maryland House rest area) for breakfast. They come from northern New Jersey. Then we all proceed on our way. We don't technically drive 'with' each other(keeping each other in sight), though we make stops together and communicate by cell phone. We stay the first night in Florence SC - usually arriving between 7 & 8, depending on the number of stops we make. My group stays at a Choice Hotel, while my DB & Co. stay at a Marriott (due to our respective travel club memberships).

We leave Florence early the next morning - usually on the road by 6:30, after a Continental breakfast at the hotels. We make a late-morning brunch stop (like an IHOP) and arrive at Disney between 2 & 3. My other DSis & her DBF live outside Orlando & meet us at Disney.

The return trip is obviously not as festive, so we're considering trying the Auto Train for the way home. Something new & different. I actually read right here on The Dis about others doing that. We'll see...

I'd be happy to answer any questions about our drive experiences.

Jessica :wave:

Thanks for the info Craig. When we make the trip I hope to get some sleep the afternoon before we go.

You also said that it was good to have maps of the secondary roads. DId you get these maps from AAA or on your own. Also, were you able to read the maps while driving or did DW navigate. I was thinging about a GPS unit but figured that staying on 95 it wouldn't be of much use to me but now maybe I'll reconsider. Any chance for a new gadget is fine by me. :D

Drew

Originally posted by nyfinfan
Thanks for the info Craig. When we make the trip I hope to get some sleep the afternoon before we go.

You also said that it was good to have maps of the secondary roads. DId you get these maps from AAA or on your own. Also, were you able to read the maps while driving or did DW navigate. I was thinging about a GPS unit but figured that staying on 95 it wouldn't be of much use to me but now maybe I'll reconsider. Any chance for a new gadget is fine by me. :D

Drew

Drew,

I got them from AAA. DW definitely navigated. I had the route traced out on the map and written out, that way it would be easy to follow (This is not a slight to my wife. I wanted to make it easy with with little thought. Darling children were taking enough of her cycles in the car without having to pinpoint our location on a map). We ran into a number of bad accidents on the way down, but only had to get off the highway for one. It was so bad that after we looped around to get back on the route again, we noticed that they had closed the highway and rerouting traffic the way we came.

As for a GPS. I was (picture my index finger and thumb close together) this close to getting one, but had spent so much money on the trip, I couldn't consider spending more. Next time though, I will purchase one. So if your concious needs a kick I say get it for the trip(hope your wife won't be mad).

Craig,

You were exactly correct. I was trying to justify the cost in my head. I guess saving money by driving and not renting a car is good enough. I'm lucky that my DW usually doesn't give me a hard time because she knows how I agonize over big purchase's like this one. And if we get GPS , than we'll just have to get Sirius Radio too.:D

-Drew

Originally posted by nyfinfan
Craig,

You were exactly correct. I was trying to justify the cost in my head. I guess saving money by driving and not renting a car is good enough. I'm lucky that my DW usually doesn't give me a hard time because she knows how I agonize over big purchase's like this one. And if we get GPS , than we'll just have to get Sirius Radio too.:D

-Drew

LOL! that's a great idea(Sirius). I'll have to consider that too!

1st- cm monroe, appreciate your thoughts before & after, as a fellow MA goer.
My DH & I have made the trip as just us and have done it to and from straight thru (not recommended, we had intentions each way of stopping). However, with 2 kids now, ages 5 and 2, that is not an option. Safety is. That being said, my original plan is now in question after reading all posts.
Was planning on having the inlaws take kids all day prior to, and have worked up to my DH & I sleeping all day ( I know, you can never sleep when you want to, LOL) and then leaving around 7 pm with a vidio in for the kids to drift off to sleep. My question is how far we could get and where the earliest check in hotel would be. In 13 hours it would be 8 am, time for breakfast. We know from past experience that driving 95 will not be that hard at that time of night and figure we would be in NC or SC? If we keep going we could probably make SC for sure or even top of GA. Does this sound right, by 1 pm? That would be about 18 hours from South Massachusetts, CT line, w/1 hour break. Does anyone know a good hotel, (read safe), we could stay at with a 1 pm check in? Then, DH can sleep, or me a little and then switch, because he does the driving mostly. I can get by on 4 hours sleep. Then we could leave early am hours (say 4 am) and arrive at DW around 11 or 12 noon. Does anyone think this sounds sane or nuts?
Appreciate any feedback.:confused: :crazy2: :scared1:

DJFan88,

Well, your plan is agressive but you have a couple of good advantages.

1. If you are able to sleep a decent amount that day before you leave, I think your trip will be much better than mine. If I was able to sleep that day, my night driving would have been much better. Looking back, I wouldn't do it that way again, hurricane or not. I would only do the night driving if I was able to sleep that day.

2. You are leaving from Southern MA, and going 95 south. This is a much more direct route than what we took. We did kind of a loop around through ny, pa, etc.

3. We made it to Viriginia in about 15 hours with multiple stops (DS 7 months) So using that logic and the two points above, I would imagine you have no problem making to S.C.

However.......

Is your 2 year old potty trained? We were nervous with my DD(3.5) because she had potty trained late (3yrs old) but she did fine. Our main hold up was everyone in the car, plus my son needing to nurse a lot.

I didn't stop for any hotels in the NC, SC area, so I cannot comment there. Sorry. When are you going(what time of year)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter