For Disney Regs. Any noticeable changes in meal quality for any reataurants?

Thanks gina for reminding me that I've been wanting to try Enzo, as well.:thumbsup2 Il Mulino has snuck up on me. Is that is the Swan?
pirate:

I agree Uncle about visiting the resorts as being part of our night out at the restaurants. I will say that we ate twice at Jiko & California Grill last year and the food and service were excellent. The lamb shank i had at Jiko was one of the best meals I have ever had out. I can't wait till later this year when I can have it again. We also dined at O'hana's and Liberty tree Tavern because the coulple we went with wanted to try them and I did not like either one. We will not be repeating them anytime soon. To me being at WDW and eating at some of my favorite places is what counts. Even if every meal is not that fantastic , it's being back at our favorite vacation spot. One example is Rose & Crown Pub. We always eat here on every trip and we always enjoy ourselves. The food has always been good for the simple fare they have. :)

Maybe my imagination, but a number of posts mention improving Signature restaurants for the foodies; with the suggestion that mid-tier restaurants be abandoned to the DDP folks who apparently wouldn't recognize quality if it walked up and bit them.

Mid-tier restaurants need some serious attention to quality as well. There are many of us who prefer the mid-level meals ('Ohana, Boma, etc.) aren't on the DDP, and also aren't unwashed hillbillies lacking the capacity to appreciate quality dining.

Some of us see no sense in taking children to restaurants targeted to adults, and paying exorbitant prices for them to be bored senseless and eat like birds. My idea of fine dining also doesn't include slogging into a restaurant after an exhausting day of tackling the parks. I appreciate and enjoy fine dining, but I prefer to do it when I can dress up, relax and make an evening of it.

That's not to say I don't enjoy an excellent piece of salmon or filet mignon and a good glass of wine; I just don't need linen tablecloths and china to enjoy my food. Quality, variety and reasonable prices needn't be mutually exclusive.

Well said!! Tho the OP didn't mention any particular type of WDW restaurant, it's certainly true that food quality can be (and is) a concern at any restaurant.

Mid-tier restaurants need some serious attention to quality as well. There are many of us who prefer the mid-level meals ('Ohana, Boma, etc.) aren't on the DDP, and also aren't unwashed hillbillies lacking the capacity to appreciate quality dining.

You mentioned probably 2 of the best examples of what I want to see MORE of at WDW.

It seems that many (most) of the other restaurants are become more and more generic - very similar menus, very similar experiences.

Boma and 'Ohana (especially Boma) are two of my favorites because they're a rather unique experience that is pretty true to the theme of the resort. I particularly like Boma because there are so many different dishes that you can't find anywhere else and would not get the chance to try otherwise. Plus, being buffet, there are things that I never would order as a "full meal" not knowing whether or not they would be to my liking.

This is why, IMHO, the Food & Wine Festival is so popular, and why we go every year.

I agree with the last 3 or so posts. I have loved CG and hope to get back there but I won't till I feel the quality is there. We've expanded outward to include the Citywalk restaurants and a few favorites along the way....notably Rengetsu and Hanamizuki. I'm dying to try Enzo on the Lake and a few others.

Shhh--don't TELL everyone! ;) Don't start going to Hanamizuki more! It's our secret hideaway when we are at Disney: quiet, friendly, excellent food. It's always our arrival-day meal.

Is Rengetsu actually any good? It looks like it's there for tourists in the worst way--in that "look at our pretty building while we separate you from your money, foolish Wisconsin-dwellers" way! :lmao:

We ate at Enzo's for a birthday party in March and it was very good, even for a large party of thirty or so. Passed appetizers were boring, but fish and beef entrees were both excellent and the lobster bisque was amazing, rich but not heavy, lightly fragrant with fresh fennel. It's a looong drive from the parks, though; almost an hour, I should think. I don't think we would go there normally, just because of the drive.

We are that unfortunate species: the broke foodie. I am a grad student (in an unprofitable field), DH works a non-profit job. Our palates have surpassed our pocketbooks for sure! What happens for us on vacation is we eat CHEAP fast-food style for many meals, and then a few "special" dinners to make it up. We don't really see the point of in-between if it's going to be mediocre. We don't do "casual dining" chains--it's simply not worth extra money food we won't enjoy much. Most Disney restaurants aren't worth it to us either, but we get tired of sandwiches and fast food all the time.

We were from Chicago up until recently, and we miss the food there A LOT. It didn't seem worth it to spend money on food at Disney before, because we had so many great restaurants locally, but this year we really started looking into it more, since there is nothing for us locally anymore. We were hoping for a bit of a food vacation. We're so depressed to hear how much Disney dining has lost in the last few years.

I want more recommendations for off-property "foodie" or "foodie-light" places! Anyone else have any? Or maybe we can start a new thread if this is too far off-topic.

Shhh--don't TELL everyone! ;) Don't start going to Hanamizuki more! It's our secret hideaway when we are at Disney: quiet, friendly, excellent food. It's always our arrival-day meal.

Is Rengetsu actually any good? It looks like it's there for tourists in the worst way--in that "look at our pretty building while we separate you from your money, foolish Wisconsin-dwellers" way! :lmao:

We ate at Enzo's for a birthday party in March and it was very good, even for a large party of thirty or so. Passed appetizers were boring, but fish and beef entrees were both excellent and the lobster bisque was amazing, rich but not heavy, lightly fragrant with fresh fennel. It's a looong drive from the parks, though; almost an hour, I should think. I don't think we would go there normally, just because of the drive.

We are that unfortunate species: the broke foodie. I am a grad student (in an unprofitable field), DH works a non-profit job. Our palates have surpassed our pocketbooks for sure! What happens for us on vacation is we eat CHEAP fast-food style for many meals, and then a few "special" dinners to make it up. We don't really see the point of in-between if it's going to be mediocre. We don't do "casual dining" chains--it's simply not worth extra money food we won't enjoy much. Most Disney restaurants aren't worth it to us either, but we get tired of sandwiches and fast food all the time.

We were from Chicago up until recently, and we miss the food there A LOT. It didn't seem worth it to spend money on food at Disney before, because we had so many great restaurants locally, but this year we really started looking into it more, since there is nothing for us locally anymore. We were hoping for a bit of a food vacation. We're so depressed to hear how much Disney dining has lost in the last few years.

I want more recommendations for off-property "foodie" or "foodie-light" places! Anyone else have any? Or maybe we can start a new thread if this is too far off-topic.

DH and I dined at RenGatsu ages ago, I was pregnant with our first (she's 13 now) and we were semi broke right out of residency and staying on I-Drive (only time we ever did that , next stay was at the Swan). The food, IIRC, was quite good, traditional Japanese, not chop suki throw it at you Japanese that a lot of people (my children included) enjoy. I always wanted to go back but we don't voyage offsite.

Hello old thread, nice to see you back from wherever you've been.

This is the Disney dining board. Although we've allowed here and there a few threads about off-site restaurants, they really should be posted on the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. If this thread from 2007 is turned into a discussion of off-site restaurants, it will indeed be off topic. I'd suggest starting a new thread on the Orlando board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter