Foot Care, Socks etc

Seconding the Crocs. I have a pair of crocs sandals that I love because I don't have to worry about them getting wet! But yeah, watch the sunscreen. Learned that the hard way.

I wear Crocs all year long, and wear them without socks in the summer. The idea of socks in Florida gives me heat stroke BUT I've found that I have to wear them with my Crocs in WDW or my feet turn into crazy, bloody blisters on the first day! It's awful... but now I wear socks under my crocs and I'm OK. I know, I know... here come the Fashion Police! However, I don't really care what it looks like, if it keeps my feet intact and the pain away!

My current "foot regimen" is to spray my feet with antiperspirant, then wear socks and my crocs. I think my socks are Nike wicking socks- but whatever they are, I got them at either Walmart or Target, so not expensive. I always carry moleskin and slap some on at the first sign of discomfort or a "hot spot." I also have these little gel-line toe tubes that I bought at Rite-Aid (or Walgreens) that I slip on over my pinkie toes if they start to blister. DD wears whatever sport sandals she has, but learned that if she put moleskin on the inside of the straps, she's far more comfortable. She's also good in her sneakers. She used to wear whatever sandals or flats were comfortable, but has found that there isn't enough arch support for her anymore. I have friends that swear by socks and walking shoes, and my sister wears Keens. It really, really depends on your feet, and what is comfortable for you.

We wear tennis shoes. We used to get terrible blisters on every single trip. We started greasing our feet up, and we have not had any blister problems since. Worked like a charm for us.
:worship: This! ^ I took Mr & Mrs DD's advice and have done this for the past 3 trips (2 of them were 2 week trips, too) and haven't had one blister since. I slather the Vaseline on and then wear NON cotton footies with my sneakers. It sounds gross but it is not! My feet feel fabulous at night and there's no Vaseline residue. I do the same process during out midday breaks and put on clean footies. I wish I had known about this sooner because I suffered with horrible blisters every.single.trip. Not anymore! Thank you again @Mr & Mrs DD :flower3:

I can walk comfortably in just about anything. I tried crocs in the parks a couple times, but there was one time MK when it started raining and my feet kept slipping out, even with the strap holding my foot in. Since then I haven't worn them. Currently I wear my new balances, but when its cooler out I wear my merrells, sometimes I wear boat shoes or flip flops if we're just going in for dinner and don't plan to walk too much.

Good thread.
I have plantar fascitis but I HATE my feet being hot so not a fan of sneakers in summer. Flat shoes are OUT with PF.
I have ordered body glide, I have compeeds & Bandaids for blisters, will toss in the moleskin as well. (got HUGE blisters in Vegas last month)
Ordered Croc 3" wedges (SUPER comfy; I am on my feet all day & they rock), plan to take Sofft 2.5" wedges, Fit flops & just ordered some ASICS. (I have orthotic inserts for them as well.
Have not had issues with feet in past but PF has been flaring more the last year so I am SUPER paranoid with 10 days at parks. Going to BE PREPARED.
Only 40 lbs. allowed for suitcase--but I won't skimp on shoes!!!

:worship: This! ^ I took Mr & Mrs DD's advice and have done this for the past 3 trips (2 of them were 2 week trips, too) and haven't had one blister since. I slather the Vaseline on and then wear NON cotton footies with my sneakers. It sounds gross but it is not! My feet feel fabulous at night and there's no Vaseline residue. I do the same process during out midday breaks and put on clean footies. I wish I had known about this sooner because I suffered with horrible blisters every.single.trip. Not anymore! Thank you again @Mr & Mrs DD :flower3:
EXACTLY right. We feel the same way. It's not messy and it works!!

Good thread.
I have plantar fascitis but I HATE my feet being hot so not a fan of sneakers in summer. Flat shoes are OUT with PF.
I have ordered body glide, I have compeeds & Bandaids for blisters, will toss in the moleskin as well. (got HUGE blisters in Vegas last month)
Ordered Croc 3" wedges (SUPER comfy; I am on my feet all day & they rock), plan to take Sofft 2.5" wedges, Fit flops & just ordered some ASICS. (I have orthotic inserts for them as well.
Have not had issues with feet in past but PF has been flaring more the last year so I am SUPER paranoid with 10 days at parks. Going to BE PREPARED.
Only 40 lbs. allowed for suitcase--but I won't skimp on shoes!!!

If you haven't tried them yet, give Vionics a shot. They even have a 30 day money back guarantee so you can wear them for a bit and see how it goes. I wear them exclusively now and never have more than the mildest pain from PF anymore. And that's generally because I get stupid and go barefoot at home for too long. They were created for arch/heel pain to provide proper support.

For OP, the kids and I never ever wear sneakers or socks in the parks. Way too hot and sweaty. DH just wears whatever he wears at home and he's fine. The kids wear their usual sandals and I wear my Vionics. We have band aids and sometimes mole skin on hand just in case. It's usually only an issue if we travel in winter and try wearing shoes we haven't worn for several months. But if I catch the spot quickly and use even just a bandaid it's usually fine.

Everyone's feet are different. I personally cannot wear sandals if I am walking any distance, as they just don't have the support I need.
I wear tennis shoes or walking specific shoes (currently Reebok Cloudride DMX) that are mainly mesh uppers. I also always wear Injini socks when walking more than a normal day. Have not had any blister issues with these socks, as prevent any skin on skin contact. I also wear these when hiking at home.

Wear what you know is comfortable. That means the same socks you usually wear, and shoes that are not new. One trip I made the mistake of buying moisture wicking socks in a brand I hadn't used before. Huge mistake! Thank goodness I had some mole skin along because I all but covered my whole feet in it. In addition to buying some plain cotton socks.

I also bring 2 pairs of shoes that I intend to wear in the parks. I switch out each day, sometimes in the middle of the day if we go back to the room for a break. My feet are not happy if I try to wear the same pair of shoes day after day. Plus, if you get caught out in the rain you will want a dry pair for the next time you are at the parks.

I have one weird piece of advice regarding foot care: don't get a pedicure before your trip! They'll smooth off all your callouses, and you'll be left with very tender skin on your feet. Nothing to protect against blisters. So even if you're tempted to go for a pre-trial pedicure, don't let them file down your callouses. Your feet will thank you!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter