Food to pack

cdurham1

Most magical at the most magical place on Earth
DVC Platinum
3 of us are going at the end of July. Probably only going to hit a couple of restaurants and probably only a couple of counter service places. Anyone have a good resource on a list of food people like to pack to eat in the parks? Trying to get some ideas that will survive in my backpack in the heat, everyone will like, filling, and doesn't violate any WDW rules

Have you thought about carrying a cooler backpack? You could use ice (needs to be in zip lock bags no loose ice). It would keep drinks, as well as a few sandwiches good.

Disney policy just states, "no loose ice, no glass (except baby food who types) and no alcohol". Everything else is allowed.

Lenny and Larry cookies are a good option. They’re filling and can hold you over until dinner.

No food rules from Disney, you can bring in whatever food items that you want. Don't bring in a real knife. The issue is going to be keeping something cold enough throughout the day. I would invest in a good quality cooler bag. I also do not recommend tuna salad. I saw(smelled) a family that had that and I can't imagine that they did not get sick from it, it was so ripe. 🤢

I think it depends on what kind of eating you want to do and what you'll be carrying into the park. I bring food in, but I do not bring a cooler, so that cuts down on what I can bring with me.

Depends on what you like and what dietary restrictions, if any, you folks may have.
My favorite quick snacks are some sort of meat sticks, beef jerky. Protein bars are an option but don't tend to fill me and aren't always the tastiest!

Depends on what you like and what dietary restrictions, if any, you folks may have.

We like nuts, but we have no allergies and are pescatarian so the meat sticks wouldn't work for us. A small amount can be very filling, they add a bit of extra protein which is great when we're snacking on a lot of sweet stuff & carbs, they don't squish and they don't go bad or melt in the heat. We're partial to cashews and pistachios.

Now the mystery is solved as to what’s in the enormous back packs, LOL.

Bags of dry tuna in all the flavors they come in, Vienna sausages, beef jerky, salami, hummus pretzel packs, Oscar Meyer Lunchables, olive mini packs, spicy freeze dried soybeans/edamame.

Go to a local bakery outlet and grab a box of Little Debbies or similar for dessert. Capri Sunlites to drink if not free water at the QS kiosks. Don’t forget a bag of clementines.

Grab a green salad at a QS and the group of you can share it with the protein.
Have a good time.

ETA: Just noted you are pescatarians so remove all the meat suggestions that don’t apply.

Last edited:
Backpack and heat is a challenge I only take in non-perishables and nothing that will melt. So lot of nuts, banana chips, coconut slices, etc. There are places to buy fresh fruit around so we don't take those. Since we always start with a decent breakfast, lunch just varies for us.

Local here... it's been hitting in the mid 90's everyday... plus the humidity so this is something to think about...and it does not take that long for all the ice to melt, and/or your food to go bad... this is a no no... Plus with the heat you will not want anything to heavy on your stomach, not a good combo at all..

Depending on where you are staying if you have a microwave, and a fridge..

When planning like this, I like to just go stand in the grocery store aisle, and really look at what you can get and what will work for your needs.

So I would opt for eating breakfast in room... Cereal, Milk, juice, pop tarts, breakfast bar, packaged muffins. Belvita makes a bunch of different things that you could use for breakfast and in the parks, and are filling... maybe add in some fruit like bananas, grapes or apples, or those clementines or fruit cups.. oops almost forgot... yogurt and oatmeal is another option use hot water from the coffee pot.

What to carry into the parks - Protein bars, nuts, dry cereal, dried fruit, fruit roll ups, gummy fruit snacks, Belvita cookies.

Other items for the room, ramen noodle soup packages or the bowls, you can use hot water to make them from the coffee pot.

You could get some sandwich stuff for in room, keep it simple, and get only what you need. Chips, Crackers, deli meat and cheese, PB & J.

Another thought you will need some type of container to keep your items in and from getting crushed, in the back pack... Dollar tree has alot of options. Some type of ziploc bags. While I really don't like Pringles the canister will hold up in a back pack. Don't forget the hand-wipes.

You can always split meals, both at QS and TS restaurants, order appetizer platters and share if you need more you can add in a side salad, or get dessert.

Going to one of the local grocery stores/Walmart at the beginning of your trip will allow you to load up on things. They have LOTS of single serve items and packages designed for people in hotel rooms/going to parks. I try to stick to things like salads, fresh fruit, cheese, veggies and dip, hard boiled eggs, tuna snack packs, even the occasional microwaveable pasta/noodles. I also normally buy some sandwich fixings. We're DVC so we have a microwave and get oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. I'll normally buy some trail mix, protein bars etc. I do try to stay away from too many processed meats and sugary things. I know they're easy and fast but they typically make me feel like crap. I try to make sure I eat balanced most days even though I'm on vacation. I just feel better overall!

Honestly I don't bring a meal in to the parks because I hate bringing something that bulky and having to keep it cold. I'll bring a few snacks that will hold up in the heat (normally a clementine or two, protein bar, some trail mix or nuts, maybe some baby carrots. Most days we eat a good breakfast, go to the parks (snack on my munchies if I'm hungry) and then return to our room mid-day where we eat lunch (from what we've picked up from the store) and relax for a bit. Then we head back to the parks (reloading on snacks if necessary) and typically eat dinner there. Depending on our day, sometimes we'll order food to our rooms if we're there. Pizza delivery or meal delivery for the win! If we're staying in a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen we'll typically get a frozen meal or something easy like eggs to cook.

So it all depends on how you plan your days. If you're going to stay in the parks all day then yes, you'll need ice packs/ice to keep the food cold and a larger bag. If you plan on going back to your rooms for a rest, you can just eat there.

I usually pack snacks that won't get too squished. Granola bars, Belvita bars, fruit snacks, gummy snacks, dried fruit. Stay away from crackers or things that are easily crushed. I also take a water bottle with me and re-fill it throughout the day.

I don't usually eat breakfast in the parks, so I do a grocery order and keep yogurt and bananas in the room.

I use an insulated lunch bag that I put inside my crossbody. If I have access to a freezer I freeze water bottles. If not, I double bag ice from the hotel ice machine. If you need more you can ask for a cup of ice at any venue that sells fountain drinks.

I usually have some sort of trail mix, individual hummus packs with veggies, and fruit-Cuties, grapes and small apples keep well. I’ll also often bring cubed cheese and crackers or pasta salad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter