Food Preparation Equipment

I don't remember ever being asked about bringing cooking equipment when I've checked into any hotels anywhere.

Does this happen to you often?

Why would you take that literally? It's a saying.

If you were to ask if you could bring it, you would be told no. Someone actually once emailed Disney and was told no. Wish I had saved that thread so I could just link it every single time this comes up.

Why would you take that literally? It's a saying.

If you were to ask if you could bring it, you would be told no. Someone actually once emailed Disney and was told no. Wish I had saved that thread so I could just link it every single time this comes up.

Bring what?

In the studio that we are staying in, it is equipped with paper plates and bowls along with a can opener, dish washing liquid, kitchen towel, scrubbing sponge and other tidbits that make cooking easy and convenient. While it does not have a full size stove and oven unit in it, it's pretty clear that it has a designated area that is intended for the purpose of cooking and food preparation, as well as clean up.

In looking at the room service menu, I see plenty of things that would be more smelly and disturbing than what I am cooking or how I am cooking it. I mean, if someone is interested in micromanaging what I do in the privacy of my own room (which I have paid for with my own hard earned money), then where do their right to butt into my business stop and mine start? I mean, if we are going to protest things on the basis of it being smelly, then maybe we should ban people having a bowel movement in their hotel rooms because the smell of it might linger and offend other guests (including the following guest). I mean, burnt popcorn tops the charts as far as smelling bad. So if we are going to ban things based on the smell that they make, then where do we draw the line for that? To me, I think it's fine so long as I'm not having to rewire electrical outlets in order to run the equipment or in any way alter the room. If Disney has a problem with anything that I choose to do, then they can make a rule against it and communicate that to me. Until and unless they do, then anyone else's opinion on what I cook or not and how I cook it or not does not matter one iota to me.

In the studio that we are staying in, it is equipped with paper plates and bowls along with a can opener, dish washing liquid, kitchen towel, scrubbing sponge and other tidbits that make cooking easy and convenient. While it does not have a full size stove and oven unit in it, it's pretty clear that it has a designated area that is intended for the purpose of cooking and food preparation, as well as clean up.

In looking at the room service menu, I see plenty of things that would be more smelly and disturbing than what I am cooking or how I am cooking it. I mean, if someone is interested in micromanaging what I do in the privacy of my own room (which I have paid for with my own hard earned money), then where do their right to butt into my business stop and mine start? I mean, if we are going to protest things on the basis of it being smelly, then maybe we should ban people having a bowel movement in their hotel rooms because the smell of it might linger and offend other guests (including the following guest). I mean, burnt popcorn tops the charts as far as smelling bad. So if we are going to ban things based on the smell that they make, then where do we draw the line for that? To me, I think it's fine so long as I'm not having to rewire electrical outlets in order to run the equipment or in any way alter the room. If Disney has a problem with anything that I choose to do, then they can make a rule against it and communicate that to me. Until and unless they do, then anyone else's opinion on what I cook or not and how I cook it or not does not matter one iota to me.
well you are not allowed to smoke in your room. Preparing food often has more odors and leaves residue, that food delivery does not. What you do in your room can and does effect others in rooms around you (also paid with their hard earned money). Cooking in areas not designed to be cooked in can increase the risk of fire, bug and rodents, and smoke - which can set off alarms and cause the evacuation of the hotel. Outlets in areas designed for cooking are different than normal outlets. People using hair straighteners and curling irons tend to unplug them when they are done.
As for bowel movements - every hotel I have been to has fans in the water closet for such things. Also rooms get cleaned between guests so if the smell is lingering, the room was not cleaned. And according to the PP Disney does have a problem with people cooking in rooms not designed to be cooked in. They provide toasters and microwaves for people to use in common areas. IF you need more than that, they offer options.

Outlets in areas designed for cooking are different than normal outlets. .
Ummm...no, they're not. Outlets within a certain # of feet (I think 3 or 5) of a water source are required to be GFI but there's no provision in the electrical code for intended use ;) So kitchens, bathrooms, utility rooms, ect all have exactly the same outlets.

I thought it has something to do with the fire code, so there are rooms that cooking is not allowed in because of that. I don't think its really about offending smells.
Anyway thought it was strange that a mod started this thread, its almost like they are setting a "speed trap" to catch people talking about breaking WDW rules. :rolleyes1

Ummm...no, they're not. Outlets within a certain # of feet (I think 3 or 5) of a water source are required to be GFI but there's no provision in the electrical code for intended use ;) So kitchens, bathrooms, utility rooms, ect all have exactly the same outlets.
right so the outlets by the table in a room would be different than one in the bathroom area.

I have a feeling that if you were to ask upon check in, you would be told that you cannot use cooking appliances (like electric frying pans, toaster ovens, crock pots and deep fryers). But they probably would not object to a coffeemaker or electric kettle because their heating elements do not get as hot as the larger appliances previously mentioned. However, since phone CMs are notorious for giving out bad information, I would just ask when I got to the resort. If the answer in NO, then leave the appliance in your luggage and make the trek to the food court to heat your meal.

So the bathroom is designed for cooking? o_O

They would have the same outlet as a kitchen.
I didn't say that. In fact I think it's rather disgusting to cook in a bathroom. But my guess is that is where most people cook. The outlets there are designed for use near water. Outlets in other areas of the room like near the tables would not be designed for kitchen or bathroom use.

I have brought waffle maker, electric griddle, and a hot pot to hotels before. I've cooked breakfasts a lot. Once I made tacos. I always unplugged them when I was done. I also clean up my mess. I've done this in regular hotel rooms (not Disney), and in DVC resorts. If we are staying at Disney it would be in a studio at least. I don't remember studios having rangehoods. So I don't see why that is different than a regular room as far as smells. I made Mickey waffles in the room at the Royal Pacific Resort.

When we went to Yellowstone, we had to sign a paper that stated no cooking in the rooms. I've never seen that anywhere else.

Edit to add that I have never cooked in the bathroom!

I didn't say that. In fact I think it's rather disgusting to cook in a bathroom. But my guess is that is where most people cook. The outlets there are designed for use near water. Outlets in other areas of the room like near the tables would not be designed for kitchen or bathroom use.
The point is, outlets are designed based on the distance to a water source.

I'm not sure why you would guess most people cook in the bathroom. Especially since you think it is disgusting.

I'm not sure why you would guess most people cook in the bathroom. Especially since you think it is disgusting.

I think they are called GFCI outlets and they are designed to interrupt if water comes in contact , or if the circuit overloads - same as a hair dryer does.

For starters the counter would be somewhat designed to deal with heat generated by appliances because things like curling irons generate heat. I don't cook on my kitchen table because I don't want to damage it by the heat given off from cooking appliances. I would hope people would at least have the courtesy to not use a table that may be damaged by heat. Even crockpots say to use on a heat resistant surface. So leaving one on a table or dresser could damage the furniture. Same with a hot pot or electric griddle. If you need to cook get a room with a place designed for that. It's that simple

I don't remember ever being asked about bringing cooking equipment when I've checked into any hotels anywhere.

Does this happen to you often?
It happens infrequently if at all because most properties presume guests will not be traveling with cooking appliances.
In looking at the room service menu, I see plenty of things that would be more smelly and disturbing than what I am cooking or how I am cooking it.
Room service items are prepared in professional kitchens generally away from any guest rooms. Odors generated during the cooking process would generate and remain in the cooking venue.
I mean, if someone is interested in micromanaging what I do in the privacy of my own room (which I have paid for with my own hard earned money), then where do their right to butt into my business stop and mine start?
Do you mean, what you do the room you (temporarily) rented from a company, any and all t&c you agreed to join registration? When you create a potentially dangerous or disruptive situation. Heidi ,my hard-earned money pays for my rent, but there's things I can't do in my apartment.
So if we are going to ban things based on the smell that they make
No, smell is a red herring.
If Disney has a problem with anything that I choose to do, then they can make a rule against it and communicate that to me.
Beproactive. Communicate to them what appliances you're bringing and intend to use in their room.
So the bathroom is designed for cooking? o_O

They would have the same outlet as a kitchen.
Designed for? Naturally not. Used for in a hotel room where cooking appliances aren't provided by the property? More than likely.
But they probably would not object to a coffeemaker or electric kettle because
With the Pop renovations, it appears fewer and fewer rooms will bd coffeemaker-less.

Unless you are in a villa that has an actual kitchen, bringing appliances into a hotel room is certainly against fire code and potentially dangerous to you and those in nearby rooms.

We asked at BC before our last trip and were told by CM's there that bringing a toaster was fine.Yes, they have toasters that guests can use down in the Marketplace but that isn't an option for many with severe allergies.
Whom did you ask? If you weren't at the BC front desk, or speaking with housekeeping, you didn't get a definitive answer. Phone CMs identity themselves as being in the resort, but they in off-site call centers.

Having worked for a company that had three toaster fires in a year while people were present but outside the lunch room, it would seem toasters in rooms can easily be unsafe.

We asked at BC before our last trip and were told by CM's there that bringing a toaster was fine.Yes, they have toasters that guests can use down in the Marketplace but that isn't an option for many with severe allergies.
But don't you see, if you ask at the resort, the CM could be wrong. If you call, they could be wrong. And if you can't find it in any publication, it is because they just haven't published the information yet.

The only tried and true method of finding out something official about Disney, is to ask here. Or at least that is what seems to be the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter