Food in checked luggage

Now that I think about it, I wonder if flights between Canada/USA have different rules?

yes, there are. There are severe penalties for violating international restrictions which often cover agricultural products ie fruits and vegetables. A stray orange can result in denial of access to preclearance programs in future, or even fines. Unfortunately when this is pointed out many still decide to violate the rules. Personally, I would not take the risk

For those using preclearance programs and crossing international borders, there is a zero tolerance policy when flying for any food products.

As to flying with chocolate - I regularly bring 20 kilos or more when flying from Germany and have rarely had my bag searched. (I fly at least once a week every week of the year) I also carry several bars when travelling within the US in my suitcase and rarely have a TSA notice that it was searched.

While it MAY result in an additional search of the luggage, it does not guarantee additional search (especially not if American candy bars - think 20 bars of Lindt or similar size/density, as opposed to five American candy bars)

Am I able to pack any fruit in my checked luggage? Mostly considering apples as they won't get crushed in transit.

We also want to bring along oatmeal, granola bars, crackers, peanut butter, jam, trail mix, popcorn. From what I'm reading here, these are all OK, right?

I've brought apples, oranges, bananas, breakfast cereal, jars of peanut butter . . . in check-in luggage, you should not have a problem.

I've brought apples, oranges, bananas, breakfast cereal, jars of peanut butter . . . in check-in luggage, you should not have a problem.

the poster to whom you are responding is from Canada. If they are flying from Canada to the US they WILL have a problem

Yes, sorry! I'm just all excited about going tomorrow! ANY agricultural products are certainly forbidden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter