Follow me to the Boardwalk! 10/23 - 11/7 UPDATED 4/13 BEACHES & CREAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dinner at Flying Fish Cafe was made a bit more interesting by the surprise reappearance of a character who had played a major role in a previous Flying Fish review. Some of you may recall that about two years ago I had dinner at Flying Fish Cafe along with three other DIS friends (emmysmommy, smile4stamps, and Couchy) plus two of their husbands. This dinner was the most bizarre dining experience I've ever had at WDW...actually, probably anywhere. The strangeness began with an innocent question to our server by one of my dining companions as to whether they had changed their bread recipe. Our server reacted very defensively, as if she had personally insulted him. From this point on, our server's attitude progressively worsened until ultimately the manager got involved. Not only did he provide us with a new server who was excellent (which for me would have been a satisfactory remedy to the problem), but he completely comped our meal. A meal for 6 that included appetizers, entrees, desserts, wine, and cocktails. :eek: This came as a huge surprise to me and to this day I still have no idea how or why this happened. :confused3 I mean, how could a complimentary basket of bread have evolved into this? Which is why I titled this bread and resulting experience in my dining review as "Much Ado About Nothing."

So now that I have set the stage, let's fast forward to this dinner at...

Reservation Details:

Flying Fish Cafe Dinner
Disney's BoardWalk
Date: Tuesday, 11/03/2015
Time: 7:55 PM - Dinner
Party Size: 1

After viewing the Osborne Lights at DHS for the first time of this trip, I headed back to the Boardwalk for my dinner at Flying Fish. They were quite busy that night so after checking in I had about a 15 minute wait. When I was seated, it was at a table in the same area of the restaurant as my dinner here two years ago. I was flooded with memories of that strange dining experience, so I was rather lost in these thoughts as I looked over the menu...

I was brought back to the current moment though by the voice of my server greeting me. And when I looked up from my menu, there he was. The same server from our "Much Ado About Nothing" experience! :eek: Needless to say, I nearly fell off my chair from the surprise. :faint: But if he noticed the stunned look on my face, thankfully he didn't let on...as I had no desire to relive our previous meeting. ;) I somehow managed a quick recovery (or I hope I did anyway) and placed my drink order. Then I tried to concentrate on the menu and making my choices before he returned with my drink and a basket of that "Much Ado About Nothing" bread... :laughing:

(Note to self: Eat the bread. Do not mention anything about it to your server...even if it tastes like dirt. ;))

But the bread did not taste bad at all. It might have been because I was very hungry (having not eaten anything in the last 9+ hours), but the bread actually tasted pretty good this time. :thumbsup2

Now back to my ordering dilemma. I have some long-time favorites at Flying Fish, so it would have been very easy to order those once again. I succumbed to this temptation when ordering my appetizer, as this is actually one of my favorite WDW appetizers.

Flying Fish Cafe Signature Crab Cakes served with Vegetable Slaw, Red Pepper Coulis, Ancho Chile Remoulade

From another angle...

Previously this appetizer consisted of one large crab cake but now is two smaller ones, which is nice because it makes it easier for two people to share. But luckily I didn't have to share, because I love these and ate every last bite. :thumbsup2

As for my entree, I really like their signature Potato-wrapped Red Snapper and have ordered this every time I have dined at Flying Fish, except for the first. But I was determined to expand my Flying Fish horizons and try something different. Many of the other entrees sounded good, but ultimately I decided to go with this one...

Grilled Hokkaido Scallops served with Pumpkin, Butternut Squash, Pecorino, and Mascarpone-laced Risotto di Carnaroli and Crispy Prosuitto

I swear this entree did not have a bad side...it was gorgeous from all angles! :thumbsup2 And not only did it look wonderful, but it tasted as great as it looked. Soooo good! And this coming from someone who has never been all that crazy about scallops. On the shellfish hierarchy, scallops fall somewhere in the middle between shrimp, lobster, and clams (which I love) and mussels and oysters (which I absolutely don't love ;)). So ordering scallops was a bit of a surprise choice for me, but when looking at the menu it seemed to call out my name...and I'm so glad that I answered the call. While I still would give the red snapper a slight edge here, I can honestly say that this dish gave my favorite a good run for its money. ::yes::

I rarely have room for both an appetizer and dessert in addition to an entree, so I usually end up choosing one or the other. But despite the fact that I had devoured my crab cakes and ate most of the entree, I still felt hungry enough to consider ordering dessert. Here are the desserts that I had to choose from...

I'd pretty much decided on the Berry-licious Sundae Deluxe but before my server came to take my dessert order, he delivered this dessert to the table next to mine...

Our Signature Flying Fish Cafe Caramelized Banana Napoleon with Crisp Phyllo, Banana Mousse, Creme Caramel, Exotic Fruit Coulis, and Bitter Chocolate

And no, I didn't reach over and steal a photo of my neighbor's dessert. ;)

I actually surprised myself and ordered this. It was a surprise choice for me because I had previously had this on my first visit to Flying Fish in 2010...and I didn't really care for it. But my daughter loves it and has always said that I was crazy for not liking it. So between that and a mild case of "coveting thy neighbor's dessert", I decided it was time to give their signature dessert a second chance. And... it was better this time. Still not among my favorite WDW desserts, but good. Which food-wise, made this a 3 for 3 meal!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Oh, and you may be wondering about the service. Well, I'm happy to say that I saw nothing of the bad attitude which this server had had during our previous experience. He was nice this time and provided me with good service throughout my meal. Although not quite at the top-notch level of service that I received at Yachtsman Steakhouse, I left Flying Fish that night feeling quite satisfied...both with the food and the service.

Next up: Breakfast at Kona Cafe

Your Tusker House pictures look great (and are making me hungry). Its the only character meal we've found where we actually enjoy the food too (and of course the Dawa Bar bloody mary doesn't hurt). We usually do the late breakfast/early lunch thing too, though me and my belly never have trouble with 2 meals ; )

Your Flying Fish meal looks delicious. I remember reading about the "much ado about nothing" trip very much and cannot believe you had he same server. It's a small world after all.....

Now back to the food, your scallops look and sound divine. I had something similar a few trips ago and it was sublime too. So sad we missed it last trip as it looks like it will be a while before it opens again.

You ordered my ideal meal! Oh my goodness, everything looks so delicious! If Flying Fish was going to be open during my August trip, that is exactly what I would order too....thanks for sharing!

Love the FF review! I, too remember the Much ado about Nothing review! So funny about the server! I cannot wait too eat there after the refurb! Hoping the changes make it even better!

I had to go back and read the Much Ado About Nothing review (it was before my time on the boards), what a bizarre chain of events. Who would have thought nothing liking bread could cause that reaction? Glad you had a better experience with him this time.

Needless to say, I nearly fell off my chair from the surprise. :faint: But if he noticed the stunned look on my face, thankfully he didn't let on...as I had no desire to relive our previous meeting. ;)
Do you think he remembered you? I'm glad that the service was good this time. :)

Flying Fish Cafe Signature Crab Cakes
That looks really good, but I would want a little more sauce with that.

Grilled Hokkaido Scallops served with Pumpkin, Butternut Squash, Pecorino, and Mascarpone-laced Risotto di Carnaroli and Crispy Prosuitto
I agree with you about the scallops but the risotto looks worth it. :)

Loved the TH review. Alexander and I did the breakfast/lunch meal last month and it was fun trying different things. Love all the character pics. I so remember your weird FF review from a few years ago, Brenda told me how crazy it was. Everything looks amazing that you had there. The scallops look like heaven on a plate. I have only been there once and I thought the snapper was one of the best dishes I have ever had. I can't wait to go back, except this time with my DH.

Great reviews! I've been enjoying your Instagram trip around the world, too. I had to write because I took your TH breakfast/lunch advice and booked a 10:30 a.m. breakfast for my trip last December. It was awesome! Since we stayed off premises, it was my plan to have Mickey waffles and I also wanted to try lunch. I'm not sure if this is a weekend only thing, but they were serving a spice encrusted beef roast that was absolutely delicious. I have to go back just to try to figure out what the spice rub was made of. Somehow my mom and I both ate a full breakfast and a full lunch with dessert--I think it helped that we'd gotten up at 6 to get to AK as it opened, had nothing but Starbucks, and walked a couple of miles at AK before brunch. All of that food at the breakfast rate--what a deal! Thanks so much for trip reporting!

Your Tusker House pictures look great (and are making me hungry). Its the only character meal we've found where we actually enjoy the food too (and of course the Dawa Bar bloody mary doesn't hurt). We usually do the late breakfast/early lunch thing too, though me and my belly never have trouble with 2 meals ; )

Your Flying Fish meal looks delicious. I remember reading about the "much ado about nothing" trip very much and cannot believe you had he same server. It's a small world after all.....

Now back to the food, your scallops look and sound divine. I had something similar a few trips ago and it was sublime too. So sad we missed it last trip as it looks like it will be a while before it opens again.

Yes, I was very sad to hear that Flying Fish will likely still be closed on my next trip, even though that won't be until the end of October. Bummer! :(

You ordered my ideal meal! Oh my goodness, everything looks so delicious! If Flying Fish was going to be open during my August trip, that is exactly what I would order too....thanks for sharing!

Sad about August, but hopefully you will get the chance on your next trip.

Love the FF review! I, too remember the Much ado about Nothing review! So funny about the server! I cannot wait too eat there after the refurb! Hoping the changes make it even better!

I totally agree! :thumbsup2

I had to go back and read the Much Ado About Nothing review (it was before my time on the boards), what a bizarre chain of events. Who would have thought nothing liking bread could cause that reaction? Glad you had a better experience with him this time.

That incredibly strange dining experience will forever remain a mystery to me. :confused3

I'm so pleased your server was good this time and your meal looks lovely!

Thanks and thanks for reading! :goodvibes

Do you think he remembered you? I'm glad that the service was good this time. :)

That looks really good, but I would want a little more sauce with that.

I agree with you about the scallops but the risotto looks worth it. :)

Considering he's probably waited on thousands of guests in the 1 1/2 years since our first meeting, I would say that it was unlikely that he remembered me...but I certainly remembered him and probably always will. :laughing:

Loved the TH review. Alexander and I did the breakfast/lunch meal last month and it was fun trying different things. Love all the character pics. I so remember your weird FF review from a few years ago, Brenda told me how crazy it was. Everything looks amazing that you had there. The scallops look like heaven on a plate. I have only been there once and I thought the snapper was one of the best dishes I have ever had. I can't wait to go back, except this time with my DH.

Ahh yes, the snapper. It's so good! :thumbsup2

Great reviews! I've been enjoying your Instagram trip around the world, too. I had to write because I took your TH breakfast/lunch advice and booked a 10:30 a.m. breakfast for my trip last December. It was awesome! Since we stayed off premises, it was my plan to have Mickey waffles and I also wanted to try lunch. I'm not sure if this is a weekend only thing, but they were serving a spice encrusted beef roast that was absolutely delicious. I have to go back just to try to figure out what the spice rub was made of. Somehow my mom and I both ate a full breakfast and a full lunch with dessert--I think it helped that we'd gotten up at 6 to get to AK as it opened, had nothing but Starbucks, and walked a couple of miles at AK before brunch. All of that food at the breakfast rate--what a deal! Thanks so much for trip reporting!

Glad to hear the TH brunch worked well for you. Thanks for letting me know! And thanks so much for following along on IG.

Kona Cafe Breakfast
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Date: Wednesday, 11/04/2015
Time: 8:35 AM - Breakfast
Party Size: 1

Early on Wednesday morning I took a bus from the Boardwalk to Magic Kingdom. On my walk toward the Resort monorail I noticed that the small boat which travels between the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Magic Kingdom was approaching the dock to unload its passengers. I did a quick change of plan and boarded the boat, getting off at the second stop for my breakfast at the Polynesian's...

I arrived early so was given a pager when I checked in at Kona Cafe (located on the 2nd floor). I used my wait time to take a few photos of the Polynesian's lobby below.

This was the second time that I had seen the refurbished Polynesian lobby (completed in Dec. 2014) and although I love the new lights...

I was still unimpressed with the small Tiki statue which is the lobby's new centerpiece...

Perhaps because I will forever associate its predecessor with the Polynesian Resort (now Polynesian Village)...

Granted the smaller Tiki statue allows for much more sitting room in the resort's lobby...

But I will always miss the beautiful waterfall. :worried:

Ok, enough with the reminiscing. Or at least I will switch topics and reminisce about my delicious breakfast at Kona Cafe. ;)

For those of you who read my last dining report (from my May '15 trip), you may recall that I was forced by my kids to choose between two of my WDW breakfast favorites...the Grand Floridian Cafe's french toast and Kona's pancakes. It was a hard decision but I chose the french toast, so my craving for Kona's pancakes had to wait nearly 6 more months to be satisfied. Therefore I hope you will forgive me for not changing it up here and ordering something other than the macadamia-pineapple pancakes from Kona's breakfast menu...

I did though consider ordering their Breakfast Special when I saw this paper sitting on my table...for about two seconds! :laughing:

After placing my order, it wasn't long before this plate was delivered to me...probably straight from heaven's kitchen. ;)

Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes topped with macadamia nut butter and pineapple sauce and served with your choice of ham, bacon or my choice of sausage

A little closer shot...

And one more photo from a different angle, where you can actually see some of the macadamia nuts inside the pancakes...

Now I happen to love the macadamia nuts inside the pancakes, but for those who would prefer a smaller dose of nuts you can also request your pancakes to be plain and then topped with the macadamia nut butter and pineapple sauce. A smaller size version of this is actually what is served on the Big Kahuna breakfast platter. As for me though, I say, "Bring on the macadamia nuts!" :thumbsup2 However, the one down side is that the nuts make the pancakes extra rich and filling, so consequently it is impossible for me to eat more than two of the stack of three big pancakes. And believe me, I've tried. ;) Also, I generally order bacon for my side at most restaurants when given a choice of bacon, ham, and sausage but at Kona I always get the sausage because I really like them here. They are not the skinny, overcooked sausage links that are often served at restaurants but instead are nice and big and well-seasoned.

So having satisfied my Kona pancake addiction, I boarded the monorail and was off to Magic Kingdom. When I was last there the week before the park looked like this...

But now Magic Kingdom had changed into its Very Merry Christmas attire...

I've heard that this transformation occurs all in one night but I'm not really sure which night this had happened. I do know that the final Not So Scary Halloween Party of the year took place on Sunday, Nov. 1st and this was Wednesday, Nov. 4th. So I'm guessing this was done either immediately following the conclusion of the party at midnight on Sunday (or whenever the last party guest had left the park) or perhaps they waited until the night of the 2nd. Regardless though, I was very happy to be able to experience the beautiful park decorations and atmosphere for both of these holidays. Like choosing between the GFC's french toast and Kona's pancakes, it would be difficult for me to say which of the two holidays I prefer. For me they are both equally magical. How about for you? For those who have been lucky enough to experience both, do you prefer the Halloween or Christmas decorations at Magic Kingdom?

Next up: Lunch at Beaches & Cream

I wish I had known about those pumpkin pancakes, maybe we would have squeezed in a breakfast af Kona. I loved Halloween at Disney, but am looking forward to experiencing Christmas next time we go.

After placing my order, it wasn't long before this plate was delivered to me...probably straight from heaven's kitchen. ;)

Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes topped with macadamia nut butter and pineapple sauce and served with your choice of ham, bacon or my choice of sausage

A little closer shot...

And one more photo from a different angle, where you can actually see some of the macadamia nuts inside the pancakes...

Now I happen to love the macadamia nuts inside the pancakes, but for those who would prefer a smaller dose of nuts you can also request your pancakes to be plain and then topped with the macadamia nut butter and pineapple sauce. A smaller size version of this is actually what is served on the Big Kahuna breakfast platter. As for me though, I say, "Bring on the macadamia nuts!" :thumbsup2

This is my favorite thing in WDW! I can just taste them through the computer.... *Droooooool*! Since my last trip I can no longer eat wheat, but I am hoping to be able to get an allergy-friendly version of theses wonders from heaven's kitchen in October.

Great review! It is because of your wonderful reviews, that I also love those pancakes. When we were there last they told me I can choose one, two, or three stacks. I am hoping to see if that is true on our next trip.

As for the Holidays I love both!

Kona looks fabulous as always. Glad you finally got your pancakes, even if they were 6 months in the making ; )

I can't believe they turned from Halloween to Christmas so fast. I can't even get my Christmas decorations down in a single day

After reading about the fabulous NY strip and red snapper, I HAD to get those when we went to Flying Fish. But I saw the scallop entree on the menu and it sounded soooooo delicious! I am so glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes I hate deviating from my favorite thing because you don't know if you'll like your new choice, but sounds like it was a winner. And I was eyeing up those crab cakes too.. they look equally as good. ;) I am excited to see what it is like post-refurb but having only been there once, I really enjoyed it and I hope it doesn't change too much. Can't wait to go back again.

Those pancakes are TO DIE FOR! Seriously! So filling, I couldn't finish either, but boy I wanted to.

Love your Kona review! One day I will get the pancakes, but I loved my Tonga Toast so much it would be hard to deviate :P

We were lucky enough to visit Disney in September when they had the Halloween decorations up, and then we went on a short trip before our Christmas family vacation. I loved both kinds of decorations, but the weather was so much better in December that I think it really made that season more magical for me. The giant Christmas tree, the castle lighting, and all the little touches were the perfect way to start our Christmas vacation. However, I think the Halloween Mickey lanterns on all the lamp posts were actually my favorite :) They are just so cute!

I've always wanted to try Kona for breakfast but never have. I've only experienced the Christmas decor. Some day I'll see Halloween.

I have never tried those pancakes, but have seem them in person while dining with friends (Brenda & Michael) and they look quite delicious. I agree that statue is way too small for that lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter