Foam Sword in Carry-On?

alievans719

Mouseketeer
So I'm attending the Halloween party on Halloween, which is our arrival day. We're going to be Aurora and Philip, and I wanted to make a foam sword. I know that Disney won't actually have a problem with this, but I'm concerned since we're flying.

Because it's our arrival day, I have two possibilities: mailing it down ahead, or taking it on my carry-on. My intent with the sword if we take it in our carry-on, was to actually have the fake sword in two pieces: the hilt separate from the fake blade. Will this still cause trouble? I know I can ship it, but I just don't know how much it'll cost(I can ship it to a friend down there).

Anyone have suggestions? It's obviously a way away, but I'm beginning to feel like the cost to ship might just save me from the frustration. Has anyone had issues shipping fake swords in the mail?

i can't imagine a problem as long as there's no rigid structure to the "blade" part and it's not oversized. Worst case scenario, TSA might want to have a look at it if they can't figure it out from baggage scanner.

What all is involved in making a foam sword? If it's not a weapon, you won't have any problem.

What all is involved in making a foam sword? If it's not a weapon, you won't have any problem.

Really the whole thing (still at planning stage) is foam board shaped and painted. I'm hopeful that having it in two pieces separately wouldn't trigger any issues, but I don't want to see it get confiscated before the trip.

Because it's our arrival day, I have two possibilities: mailing it down ahead, or taking it on my carry-on.
There is a third choice: pick up your own luggage from the baggage claim and pull it out from there. You're not required to have DME collect your luggage for you from the claim, and if your tags don't arrive in time this is what you're supposed to do: just collect the bags yourself, pull the sword out, then hand them over to DME.

I would mail it. We took home a toy foam sword from SW, a pirate one. I put it in my checked luggage, as even though it was a toy, it was big enough I didn't want any issues with carry on. YMMV though.

Of course, TSA did confiscate a plastic light saber one time on the theory that it was a replica of a weapon. So, it's always, YMMV. - Suzanne

TSA will confiscate any item that looks remotely like a weapon, including all toys. If it gets through you are lucky.

There is a third choice: pick up your own luggage from the baggage claim and pull it out from there. You're not required to have DME collect your luggage for you from the claim, and if your tags don't arrive in time this is what you're supposed to do: just collect the bags yourself, pull the sword out, then hand them over to DME.
This doesn't affect the advice to the OP - sure, pick up your luggage if you choose - but guests whose DME tags don't arrive in time are "supposed to" bring their claim checks to the counter and describe the luggage. Magical Express has CMs who locate and pull the luggage, and send it with the tagged luggage. This procedure has been in standard practice for the entire existence of DME.

TSA did confiscate a plastic light saber one time on the theory that it was a replica of a weapon.

This happened to you?

What did they say when reminded that there is no such thing as a light saber, and therefore it's not a copy of a weapon since the weapon doesn't exist?

We've taken a hard plastic sword (came with the BBB Knight's Package for DS), a foam sword, and a large stormtrooper blaster through in carryon and haven't had a single problem.

This happened to you?

What did they say when reminded that there is no such thing as a light saber, and therefore it's not a copy of a weapon since the weapon doesn't exist?

We've taken a hard plastic sword (came with the BBB Knight's Package for DS), a foam sword, and a large stormtrooper blaster through in carryon and haven't had a single problem.

My only reason I might see a problem versus you guys not having a problem is that I'll have no kids with me, so I wonder if there may have been some leeway with having toy blasters and stuff and seeing that a child is with you. I don't know that that was the case, but as an over-worrier, I wonder.

We are talking about disassembled foam board. There is absolutely no reason that would be a problem. The bag will go through the X-ray and right out the other side. This is an non issue. I had every Black Widow accessory in my carry on, except for my handguns (those were in checked luggage), and they went through the scanner without a problem. Foam board is one step up from poster board. It is in no way going to been seen as a threat. If the suitcase was to be opened, a simple "We're going to the Halloween party at Disney World" will be all that is needed. A passenger isn't going to harm anyone with a paper sword and a paper shield. That's just silly.

We are talking about disassembled foam board. There is absolutely no reason that would be a problem. The bag will go through the X-ray and right out the other side. This is an non issue. I had every Black Widow accessory in my carry on, except for my handguns (those were in checked luggage), and they went through the scanner without a problem. Foam board is one step up from poster board. It is in no way going to been seen as a threat. If the suitcase was to be opened, a simple "We're going to the Halloween party at Disney World" will be all that is needed. A passenger isn't going to harm anyone with a paper sword and a paper shield. That's just silly.

Alright thank you. Like I mentioned, I tend to over-worry about things. Thank you again!

This happened to you?

It didn't happen to me personally, but the incident was widely reported in 2011. It was posted again in 2013 when actor Peter Mayhew was stopped at the checkpoint because his cane looked like a light saber. He was ultimately allowed to travel.

You can now check on the TSA app under "Can I bring my .....? It will tell you that light sabers don't really exist, but toy light sabers can be transported in checked or carry on. It finishes with "May the force be with you."

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2013/06/tsa-has-objected-to-lightsabers-before.html

By the way, according to the TSA "Can I bring my foam toy sword?" It is allowed in checked luggage only.

-- Suzanne

It didn't happen to me personally, but the incident was widely reported in 2011. It was posted again in 2013 when actor Peter Mayhew was stopped at the checkpoint because his cane looked like a light saber. He was ultimately allowed to travel.

You can now check on the TSA app under "Can I bring my .....? It will tell you that light sabers don't really exist, but toy light sabers can be transported in checked or carry on. It finishes with "May the force be with you."

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2013/06/tsa-has-objected-to-lightsabers-before.html

By the way, according to the TSA "Can I bring my foam toy sword?" It is allowed in checked luggage only.

-- Suzanne
But it isn't a foam sword. It's foam board, and in two pieces. The search engine is likely picking up the word sword and nothing else.

Here is the wording from the search. Since OP's item will look nothing like a real weapon, it does not apply. I don't even think paper shows up in an x-ray. Lol
image.jpg

Of course, TSA did confiscate a plastic light saber one time on the theory that it was a replica of a weapon. So, it's always, YMMV. - Suzanne

Of course it's a "replica" of an imaginary thing. That makes it all the more dangerous :rolleyes:. All you can count on a airport security is inconstancy.

Here is the wording from the search. Since OP's item will look nothing like a real weapon, it does not apply. I don't even think paper shows up in an x-ray. Lol
View attachment 112689

Foam board is thicker and denser than a sheet of paper. It could show on the X-ray, lead to a search and questions from the screener. The moment OP says the word sword, watch out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter