Flume "chicken" needs help...

Mabelette

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am willing to go on ONE, and only ONE flume ride with my son.!! So, which one is the least scary for a chicken? Which one should I totally avoid? THANKS, M

LOL...wish I could help, but can't. Its been 5 years since I've been to US and will be returning in June....I'll let you know when I get back. I have a son that wants to do it all. I hope I come back in one piece.:jester:

There are two flume rides at IOA: Jurassic Park River Adventure and Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls. JPRA's drop in 60 feet in the dark. Ripsaw Falls' drop actually goes 15 feet below the water line. JPRA can be scary because of the darkness, but Ripsaw Falls gets you really soaked.

Just my personal opinion but I think Jurrasic park is far less frightening. The boat you ride in is huge, you have a lap bar to hold you in. You literally feel like your going to fly out of Ripsaw Falls. :)

I would prefer to ride Dudley with a child because it is easier to hold on to another person in the log type seat. Maybe it is just me, but I am always afraid the kid will fly out when there is a bench seat without seatbelts and that makes those rides scarier for me!

I also think that you would have a better chance on Jurassic Park. The drop is more extreme, but it feels safer when compared to Dudley's bouncing, out of control feeling track. Plus kids love dinosaurs.:p

i really think that when you go you should see both rides and what ever looks less scary- do that- little tip, the scaryest part of a ride is before it:p

I vote for River Adventure as the less scary (at least as far as the drop is concerned).

In the Ripsaw Falls ride, the angle of the drop changes about half way down with the result that you feel like its a 90 degree angle.

But if you're really chicken, then avoid them both!

The final drop at Ripsaw Falls, at one point goes almost vertical. I can tell you that the effect is worth experiencing. The JP drop is 10 feet taller but ends at the braking platform guiding the boat to a gentle speed. Ripsaw drops you into the lake, under the TNT Shack and back up into the lake to the brake.

So, OK I think I am pretty sure that I think I will try JRP ride. How many seconds will it take for "THE DROP" I'll focus on counting down !!!. Thanks for all the advice and tips... M

I was scared of JP too. I went to the viewing area and watched the boats go down and said "no way!" I tried DDRF first because I figured a kiddy ride wouldn't be so bad. Wasn't till the third go-around that I found out there were HANDLES inside that log. (D'Oh!)

After going down DDRF a few times, I nerved myself up for JP and found that it wasn't as hair raising. If you're really scared and need the security, suck in as much as possible when they lower the bar. (It's got this HUGE HUGE pad on it, so PULL as hard as you can when it comes down on your lap) Once you're locked in, you ain't goin' nowhere! :crazy:

I personally think JPRA is the best of the two. Although the drop is 60-85 (I think it's actually 85) feet, it's a great feeling. I was a flume chicken too until I read some things on the Internet about this ride prior to my 1999 vacation. That got me psyched. I haven't touched Dudley though. Maybe it's better than JPRA, maybe not. it's your choice. which are you going to vote off the island?

IOAfan:bounce:

The last drop on Ripsaw falls is a blast!! Under that shack and back up again...woohoo!!

The drops on the flume rides, and any other roller coaster actually, will feel a lot better if you make sure that you look straight ahead of you as you go down the drop. Don't close your eyes or the drop feels a lot worse than it really is.

I would pick Jurassic Park if you were not sure, you really cannot see the hill until your are going down it and the dinosaurs are pretty cool. Ripsaw Falls you can see the hill and there are not seat retraints at all, this ride fells a little stepper to me. Both are great fun.

by the way if you were any hats on these rides- you will loose em!!

anywho-they are both great rides but i am very pleased with dudley. i have liked dudley so much that when it was 39 degrees outside in the winter (when the park was open till 11) i went on it twice!!-i was the only one on it and i got really cold!

When you say it is better to 'look straight ahead' instead of closing your eyes, do you mean follow the direction of the flume, or look out beyond and focuse ahead on something. ?? I'm getting really technical about this (LOL) I need to do it right!! I think you are correct about NOT closing your eyes. It would probably make me more dizzy !!. thanks, M

Sorry, I meant follow the direction of the flume. Look straight ahead of your car. It makes a HUGE difference. Works on the coasters as well. It takes that feeling out of your stomach. But if you like that feeling, just ignore everything I just said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter