Flounders and Excursions

Iggipolka

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We're cruising with Disney for the 1st time in March and are taking our 10 month old daughter with us. We're debating about taking a 4 hour snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas and leaving Lillian at Flounders during that time.
What happens if there is an emergency with her at Flounders? How would they notify us and get us back to the ship?
I'm quite nervous about leaving her for so long without being in closer contact to the nursery.

Thanks!

If you are on a DCL sponsored excursion, there is normally a CM along and they can contact that person. However, you would be on your own to get leave the excursion and get back to the ship. Since the excursion is snorkeling, it is possible that you would be out of range of wireless communication such that they could not communicate with anyone. DCL would not be able to interrupt an excursion booked by many guests to facilitate your situation.

If you are on a private excursion, they would not contact you.

What would happen--in the event of a medical emergency, the Flounder's staff would call the medical team who would take any action necessary to protect the life and health of your child. In the event of an "I want my mommy" melt down, the staff would do whatever they can to comfort her.

Unfortunately, this is a risk you take if you leave your child on the ship while you are off enjoying an excursion.

We are planning the Mexican Riviera for March 2011 and our younger DD will be 2 1/2 - the older one will be 8. We were considering an excursion, if they offer it, of zip lining - so DD8 could go to the kids club, but the little one would be in Flounders. But, if this excursion goes rather long, say 6 hours or something, what will they do for food? Just the crackers and juice - or will we not be able to leave her that long so that only one of us can go? (Grandparents are not an option - too old and unable to travel...)

We are planning the Mexican Riviera for March 2011 and our younger DD will be 2 1/2 - the older one will be 8. We were considering an excursion, if they offer it, of zip lining - so DD8 could go to the kids club, but the little one would be in Flounders. But, if this excursion goes rather long, say 6 hours or something, what will they do for food? Just the crackers and juice - or will we not be able to leave her that long so that only one of us can go? (Grandparents are not an option - too old and unable to travel...)

If you provide the food to Flounders (you can get it from the ship, but YOU must make the choices, not the CMs), they will feed the child. If the 8 year old is in the programming during specified dining hours, he/she will be taken to lunch/dinner with the group. If you tell the CMs in Flounders that you are on an excursion, they will work with you--they'll know to feed the child rather than worry about ruining a lunch or dinner when mom comes back.

We did an excursion in 2005 while on MR and left our daughter when she was 2. They had those old enough to eat regular food go next door and eat with the three year olds. They sat with them to help them.

That's good to know - I really wanted my DH and I to be able to do something together, which has not happened for a while without kids in tow. My DD will be 2 years 4 months, so getting close to kids club age, but not quite there. But she will certainly want more than crackers and juice.

Thumbs up for Flounders during DCL excursions. I would NOT go on a private excursion with my child in Flounders but feel very safe while on a DCL excursion. DS has been Flounders age for 3 different cruises and it worked out beautifully.

Once, in Grand Cayman, our excursion went long. No problem. They radioed Flounders and they weren't worried at all.

This all sounds very promising, now let's see what the Mexican Riviera excursions will be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter