Florida resident question

When I was much younger (say, 1959) my father would travel to California on business and bring me back L.A. newspapers, and there would be ads for Disneyland in the papers. I always wondered how that park could survive during the off-season. I guess they had special promos and off-season deals for local residents. (Duh!)

BTW I never got to DL until 1970, so I had become and still remain a bit manic about it.

Watching this Florida Resident credentials issue come up time and again, I must say I learned some new things this round, and formalized some generalizations as well:

Snowbirds get the FL rates. (These are people from cold states who have winter homes in Florida.) That is so nice.

Florida residents also get great deals on annual passes, but Orlando locals complain about the parking fees, or about the long walk to SSR to get the free bus. Again, “Duh?”

DVC members get a discount on AP rates, but not as good as FL residents. (not sure about that.) Personal thought on APs: why would someone want to go THAT often? There are other things to see in this great country. (And I have been to WDW yearly for the past 16 years: check my signature. But we’ve done other things. EM me if you really care.)

There are, or should be, “blackout” periods for all these discounts during the heavy vacation seasons) Christmas, Easter, etc.) ( It’s just business, as Vito Corleone said.)

“Codes” come out when Disney has excess inventory to fill. Prayers (and frantic postings on DIS) don’t help. Check with Vito.

Disney has also done a good job dreaming up special events (flower and garden, food and wine, Marathon, Halloween, pre-Christmas, numerous others) to bring in both long distance tourists and locals not tied to school schedules. They are also very clever at scheduling some attractions as “seasonal.” (meaning often closed.)

But: they have expanded privileges for on-site resort guests, while they have vastly increased the number of on-site guests in the past ten years.

On-site, AP, FL, DVC, (gosh, I forgot Concierge!) all of these preferential groups are heading for a snitty collision course in these boards if Disney does not RIGHT AWAY either build another park or do a major expansion of MK in their unused area. (This is a separate topic. Sorry!)

From MY self-centered point of view, since DVC members have made a major cash investment in Disney, they should get “Front of the Line” privileges at every ride and 20% of every restaurant’s tables should be held for them for same-day call-in reservations. We should be able to park in the EMPLOYEE parking lots right behind Main Street, and enter the park through the Utilidors, if that is how they are spelled. We should get a 10% discount in all the shops, and a 25% discount in the EPCOT “graveyard.” Oh, I forgot: special seating at FANTASMIC! And a pre-dawn Safari tour that includes animals giving birth, just as we saw in Disney’s VANISHING PRAIRIE.

Gosh, the last person posted here two hours ago and signed off. I hope my insights are not in vain

Love it! Florida resident means just that. If you want the discounts, move to Florida. Jeesh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter