Florida begins reopening the state on Monday May 4th, when Disney?

We are also fine with a resort and dining stay if the resorts are mostly up and running. Mainly, I am thinking of the pool. We were planning an end of summer trip and are okay switching gears and focussing on relaxing by thee pool and trying some new restaurants (even is we need to get the food to go) rather than park days, but without a pool I don't think it would be worth it. What are most people thinking will happen with the pools? They weren't mentioned in the Phases of reopening for the resorts. Any ideas or consensus :)
Most of the public and private pools opened up down here in Florida last week.

Florida came out with its own guidelines for pools. Chairs separated, social distancing while in the pool, and someone there at all times making sure the rules are obeyed

I would imagine Disney will go along with these guidelines.

But we've been thinking about a resort/dining opening, too. How exactly would that work? Will the resort be near capacity with people? And the only thing to really enjoy would be the pool - which would be spread out for social distancing? Sounds like too many people for too little pool area. And then the restaurants are only going to be at 25% capacity? 50%? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't consider limiting capacity at that resorts - but not sure how you would do that with people who already have reservations. Still many, many questions to be answered.

Even if the parks and hotels are open what restrictions will be in place is my concern. I have a 2 year old that would not wear a mask if it is mandated along with I have asthma so in the heat that would be a nightmare. I believe a lot of people would have a hard time in a mask in summer heat. They need to give all UY’s an extension in banking points to make it a fair system. Some people may be stuck now but if you allowed them to free up points from a vacation they may not be sure they want to take they would be booming later in year already.
Here are the O.C. Task force recommendations for hotels and theme parks. Masks are required for CMs but it appears that they are not mandated for guests.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-for-reopening-businesses-in-central-florida/

my guess is they will start to open parks w phase 3 in Florida.

Highly doubtful of this. We are talking about likely early 2021 before phase 3 happens unless Florida completely drops the ball. Sorry but there is zero reason to basically remove restrictions on society until there is either a vaccine or herd immunity.

But we've been thinking about a resort/dining opening, too. How exactly would that work? Will the resort be near capacity with people? And the only thing to really enjoy would be the pool - which would be spread out for social distancing? Sounds like too many people for too little pool area. And then the restaurants are only going to be at 25% capacity? 50%? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't consider limiting capacity at that resorts - but not sure how you would do that with people who already have reservations. Still many, many questions to be answered.

They could keep the pools closed or hard limit capacity.

I think the challenge is getting people to and from the parks. Thinking possibly back on the Deluxe/DVC resorts only to start and dumping all the available busses to cover those resorts. Unless Disney has some untapped potential with the number of busses they have?

As far as restaurants and such Disney has "space". While not perfect they could do carry-out for sit down restaurants for a discount. They could send out notification that they can only give access to 25%. If you choose or are picked to do carry-out then you receive a discount of say 20% or something?

Well with DVC resorts I would imagine all their QS restaurants will be open "most" have some space inside to spread out. They would probably "suggest" mobile ordering. Also, I think they will put more seating and tables around the outside areas of the resorts.

They could keep the pools closed or hard limit capacity.

I think the challenge is getting people to and from the parks. Thinking possibly back on the Deluxe/DVC resorts only to start and dumping all the available busses to cover those resorts. Unless Disney has some untapped potential with the number of busses they have?

As far as restaurants and such Disney has "space". While not perfect they could do carry-out for sit down restaurants for a discount. They could send out notification that they can only give access to 25%. If you choose or are picked to do carry-out then you receive a discount of say 20% or something?
From what I've been reading, it sounds like it's possible the resorts will open before the parks do. My question was around the possibility of resort-only stays. The parks might not be an option for a period of time. But again - all rumor, speculation, guessing.....!

From what I've been reading, it sounds like it's possible the resorts will open before the parks do. My question was around the possibility of resort-only stays. The parks might not be an option for a period of time. But again - all rumor, speculation, guessing.....!

If its resort only then the restaurants will be open (likely with longer hours), Disney Springs possibly has delivery to the resorts, and they move characters to the resorts similar to hurricanes. I could also see them standing up more activities as well.

I would also expect its DVC only while the parks are closed. No reason for them to open All Stars as an example.

If its resort only then the restaurants will be open (likely with longer hours), Disney Springs possibly has delivery to the resorts, and they move characters to the resorts similar to hurricanes. I could also see them standing up more activities as well.

I would also expect its DVC only while the parks are closed. No reason for them to open All Stars as an example.
Believe me when I say i know there are way more questions than answers right now. But why do folks feel DVC resorts will open before regular resorts? And why would they send characters to the resorts, and then tell the kids they have to stay at least 6' away? That would be somewhat mean!

It's such an odd time for many things - but picturing a 'phase 1' Disney World is challenging. And I'm not contradicting your (or anyone's) answers. You may be right. But having some of the resorts full of guests, with no parks to go to and with social distancing requirements likely - they'll need to set up lounge chairs all around the resorts! But they have to start somewhere!

They don't offer health insurance to everyone they employ. As a p/t cm, I am not eligible for health benefits. Do I have health insurance, sure - through my f/t job. But if I get sick at my p/t job which in turn keeps me from my f/t job, there is a problem.
There are new Federal Cares Law enacted. https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance. Each state is different regarding comp claims, unemployment. I work in Workers' Comp law and typically claims of concurrent employment are handled differently, there a scales used for calculation of wages. The claims have been accepted and paid generally.

Believe me when I say i know there are way more questions than answers right now. But why do folks feel DVC resorts will open before regular resorts? And why would they send characters to the resorts, and then tell the kids they have to stay at least 6' away? That would be somewhat mean!

I believe the thinking is that Disney will want to give DVC owners the means to start using their points as soon as possible.

It is extremely important to note that this is all conjecture. Aside from some brief "soft" opening to get operations back up to speed, personally I think it makes no sense to open the resorts without parks. The resorts don't have enough amenities or activities to entertain more than a handful of guests, particularly with social distancing measures in place. Under normal conditions, people may come for a resort-only experience. But not when restaurant availability and pool crowds are severely limited. 2 minute character encounters aren't a reason to travel 1000 miles.

Few people are using DVC points to sit in their hotel room all day long.

But why do folks feel DVC resorts will open before regular resorts? And why would they send characters to the resorts, and then tell the kids they have to stay at least 6' away? That would be somewhat mean!

They would open DVC before anything because DVC is an ownership of a resort and if the resort can reasonably be open it should be open. The hotels on the other hand are really there simply as a place to stay for the parks.

Disney has all sorts of tricks regarding hurricanes to keep people occupied and I would suspect if only the resort was open they would go and grab these options to provide a good experience. You could still take pictures with characters they would just be different and possibly a very unique photo in the future to have.

2 minute character encounters aren't a reason to travel 1000 miles.

Then you don't go?

The MFs are already spent and I would rather give people the option especially locals to use their points than just have the resort closed.

An example of what they could do is having drawing seminars in conference centers at the resorts that have them. They could do a Disney TV experience while you are in the room where they deliver the materials to your door for those that don't have a central area.

I also think even if resorts are fairly empty it will start to give Disney a good option regarding processes needed. I doubt it will be empty though because hitting summer some people will be happy to go anywhere even if there is nothing to actually do there the whole trip.

We are also fine with a resort and dining stay if the resorts are mostly up and running. Mainly, I am thinking of the pool. We were planning an end of summer trip and are okay switching gears and focussing on relaxing by thee pool and trying some new restaurants (even is we need to get the food to go) rather than park days, but without a pool I don't think it would be worth it. What are most people thinking will happen with the pools? They weren't mentioned in the Phases of reopening for the resorts. Any ideas or consensus :)
How do you enforce a mask and social distancing in a pool? It's just not a possibility in my view.

They would open DVC before anything because DVC is an ownership of a resort and if the resort can reasonably be open it should be open. The hotels on the other hand are really there simply as a place to stay for the parks.

Disney has all sorts of tricks regarding hurricanes to keep people occupied and I would suspect if only the resort was open they would go and grab these options to provide a good experience. You could still take pictures with characters they would just be different and possibly a very unique photo in the future to have.
A hurricane iis NOT a pandemic.No one gets sick or dies after the hurricane is gone.

How do you enforce a mask and social distancing in a pool? It's just not a possibility in my view.
Why not? Tell people they need to stay x feet away from others in or out of the pool. Just like anywhere else.

From what I understand, resorts fall under hotels, which were essential businesses in most states, FL included. Restaurants would also have fallen under this, for takeout and delivery only. So at any point, Disney could have chosen to re-open resorts only. Pools can now open at 25% with distancing. This is likely reasonable to maintain that distancing, as smaller pools would allow fewer #s. These are all state, not Disney specific, of course. Waiting to hear what their plans are!

Here are the O.C. Task force recommendations for hotels and theme parks. Masks are required for CMs but it appears that they are not mandated for guests.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-for-reopening-businesses-in-central-florida/

Is that supposed to protect the CMs or guests? Based on what I understand, masks/facial coverings in general don't necessarily protect the users themselves. I personally think it's a moot point to require some people to wear them.

LAX

Is that supposed to protect the CMs or guests? Based on what I understand, masks/facial coverings in general don't necessarily protect the users themselves. I personally think it's a moot point to require some people to wear them.

LAX
They don’t say who it is supposed to protect. But unless it’s an N95 mask or similar, it isn’t protecting the individual wearing it.

They don’t say who it is supposed to protect. But unless it’s an N95 mask or similar, it isn’t protecting the individual wearing it.

That's my point (and I think you agree)! I have read that masks can offer some protection to others if an affected individual wears a mask (doesn't need to be N95) or some form of facial covering. Thus, if everyone wears them, then it at least offers some level of protection because some people can be infected and not know it. However, if only some people are required to, then what's the point, right?

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter