Flooded POTC boats

The reason this whole mess bothers me is because it essentially removes another ride from MK for me. I have a toddler and a baby (well, I will next time I'm in the parks) and I have to wear sneakers to the parks to be comfortable. Those three things make riding a ride where I may get soaked a no-go. So MK has lost a ride (one of the best ones for a nursing mother, actually, since it's a dark ride and pretty long), but my AP just went up by an unreasonable amount. Not good, Disney. Not good. Just fix it.

I am sure Disney will get right on this issue, as soon as the Imagineers are freed up. They are working on refurbs for It's a Small World, so that it will have the same water-based excitement that POTC now does. The little sing-y children are now going to have water cannons that blast at you as you float by. As well as a waterfall to go through at the end.

Good times ahead!

Honestly it doesn't matter what people here admit to. If Disney thinks it's functioning within their range of normal that's all that matters, no?

That's one of my points. That isn't all that matters. And posters acting like the complaints aren't legitimate or like everything is status quo are kind of being ridiculous.

I can't imagine Disney thinks it's functioning within their range of "normal." But they obviously think it's functioning within their range of "acceptable." And they'll continue thinking that until enough people stop accepting it.

I'm not saying people should throw a hissy-fit. Or let it ruin their vacation. I'm saying there IS a problem here no matter how many excuses some people try to make. And offering Disney feedback about these experiences and concerns is a very good idea.

The longer people stay silent, the longer it's going to take for them to find some way to fix it.

The thing that seems to be apparent is that they are really pushing the idea that "it's a water ride" as many people have reported hearing from CMs. (Not blaming CMs in the slightest, I'm sure that is what they are being told to say)

The fact it has been through quite a lengthy refurb and came back online not fixed, or perhaps worse, tells me that this isn't going to be fixed ever.

The only thing that may help is when they get sued for something. But even then, they can point to the "You may get wet" signs. I do think they will need to put a height restriction on it at some point through if it keeps up.

The saddest thing is that they are taking a classic ride that was never meant to be a water ride, letting it function in a broken state, and with that, taking away its rideability for many folks.

Last edited:
I doubt it would be real tough for them to install a splash wicker on the front of the boats that would deflect some of the water forward rather than up and over the front.

I will definitely wait the extra time to sit in the back! Thanks for the heads up, we used to love getting the front row for the "experience". I guess the new experience is slightly soggier and I am not interested in that. I save splash mountain for last for the same reason.....wet and hot at WDW is not my favorite sticky feeling.

I will definitely wait the extra time to sit in the back! Thanks for the heads up, we used to love getting the front row for the "experience". I guess the new experience is slightly soggier and I am not interested in that. I save splash mountain for last for the same reason.....wet and hot at WDW is not my favorite sticky feeling.

Remember: Siting in the back doesn't guarantee a dry ride. Quite the contrary (see post #1). The standing water in the boats prior to departure only gets higher after the drop: the added water from the wave/splash in the front row adds to the existing water which subsequently rebounds back as an internal wave that reaches the sixth row.

We rode this last time we were at the parks. Were seated in the first row and got completely drenched. Was not expecting that at all...even our jackets were soaked. NOT fun!

We're DLR fans, and alternate between the two coasts. Compared to DLR, the WDW version of POTC is a let-down any way. I guess this solidifies my excuse to skip it on our upcoming trip!

We rode on a party night (10/31). We saw a boat pull up in front of us with a lot of water in the bottom. They kept that boat empty and put us in the next (dry) one. When we went down the drop we heard the people in the front scream, so I'm assuming they got wet. We were in the back row (DH and I only) and were fine. Nothing from the cannons.

I dunno, considering it is a water ride, I expected to get a little wet. As hot Florida can get, that can be a blessing!

I dunno, considering it is a water ride, I expected to get a little wet. As hot Florida can get, that can be a blessing!

I totally agree. Getting a 'little wet' is to be expected.

Getting drenched to your underwear, having your shoes immersed in standing water, or getting hit by a wave that sends water up your nose... Those things are not to be expected.

The most we have ever gotten wet is just a bit from the cannon balls. Nothing like what so many are describing here. The drop was never something that got us wet. Even the two drops at DL never got us soaked like I'd being described here.

I totally agree. Getting a 'little wet' is to be expected.

Getting drenched to your underwear, having your shoes immersed in standing water, or getting hit by a wave that sends water up your nose... Those things are not to be expected.
If that's what the ride does then you're better off going back to the resort and hitting up the pool.

This is one of the rides we were planning on taking with our 2 1/2 month old grandchild. We took our own children on it when they were three months old. It no longer sounds like this will be an option.

my wife and daughters there last week, daughters in front row wife in second, water in second row 2 inches over DW shoes before the end... daughters got more soaked than they ever have on splash mountain.... we have rode this ride at least 100 times over the years and never got more than a splash.... they really need to do something its never been a wet ride.....

The reason this whole mess bothers me is because it essentially removes another ride from MK for me. I have a toddler and a baby (well, I will next time I'm in the parks) and I have to wear sneakers to the parks to be comfortable. Those three things make riding a ride where I may get soaked a no-go. So MK has lost a ride (one of the best ones for a nursing mother, actually, since it's a dark ride and pretty long), but my AP just went up by an unreasonable amount. Not good, Disney. Not good. Just fix it.

FWIW, I went on with a baby recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) and it was fine. And I nursed on the ride.

I can report that the seats were not 100% dry and I did feel a light and brief mist while sitting in row 2.

In my observation of our boat, I cannot say that it fit the definition of "flooded". But it certainly wasn't dry.

Plan to ride it again on our next visit very soon.

my wife and daughters there last week, daughters in front row wife in second, water in second row 2 inches over DW shoes before the end... daughters got more soaked than they ever have on splash mountain.... we have rode this ride at least 100 times over the years and never got more than a splash.... they really need to do something its never been a wet ride.....

Indeed. It's a very different ride experience now. And not for the better. Hundreds of bad experiences posted on this thread since October 27. Earth to WDW execs: "Hello!"

Yes, you can add us to the list of people who have gotten drenched recently. Its not so bad getting wet, its just that after a lifetime of only getting lightly sprayed on Pirates, it was a major surprise to get soaked!

I assume you have not had the 'pleasure' of visiting WDW during one of those rare winter freezes when the temp.s drop below 32F. I have, twice. Even when it doesn't get so cold that they cover the plants up there are cold snaps when there's no hot Florida sun to warm you up - think walking around in very cold air with wet clothes, especially at night, there's nothing blessing like about it.
I think Disney has enough notice that they'll have to fix things. They are on notice that the ride is creating a slip and fall hazard To people getting in and out of a boat not designed to take on water as well as exiting up a ramp made slippery by people tracking water onto it from said wet boat.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter