Flights

margot31

DIS Veteran
So my family just moved to Hawaii. We were AP holders in Fl for a few years so I can speak DW all day long and we were in driving distance. Now for me to get to a park I have to fly. The weather is crappy here and to cheer me up I started researching DL. I looked into flights. WOW!!! A little steep for our blood and we are willing to pay to stay at the resorts but wasn't expecting most flights to be over 400 per person and we are a 4 person family.

So who is a good airline to fly? When is a good time to go when flights might be lower? Normally when we fly we don't really have a choice of just picking dates and going as it is all based on my husbands work schedule and all. So its all based on when he has to be in the office or not traveling. I'll also ask for holiday purposes when is a good time to go Halloween or christmas decor time. My oldest gets a fall break.

Southwest isn't too bad. However, their current Hawaii flights are limited and you really need to be flexible with your dates. I think they've been selling really well.

Southwest, Alaska, Jet Blue and Hawaiian are my favorites...but I use Kayak to search and compare options and pricing then book that flight direct with airline (too many negatives when booking through third party IMO). Note that SW does not show up on search engines, have to look at them direct

Be sure to factor in Baggage fees to total price when comparing which vary from airline to airline (which is why I like SW...two bags free)

Flights to and from Hawaii are usually $$ - I would consider $400 regular price. I think you'll be hard pressed to find it for less.

Maybe look at different airports. Look at LAX, orange County and San Diego. When I went to Maui a few years ago it cost less for me to go out of Oakland and that was taking into account paying for parking my car at offsite parking for 7 days. I can see the SF airport from my house which means not having to pay for parking -usually I get a neighbor to drop me off I'm so close.
Also if you are used to WDW and looking to go to DL know that majority of the people stay off-site as there are many hotels within walking distance of the park. So plane tickets my be expensive but you might be able to save on staying off-site vs on-site.

I live in California and whenever I have flown to Hawaii I would say $400 is pretty standard. Sometimes I have found $350 round trip with absolutely no bells and whistle flights (no seat assignment, no bags, small seats, etc). Watch out for southwest or alaska deals and hopefully something pops up. I have heard the best day to buy flights is Tuesday. Also, unlike WDW, it is absolutely not necessary to stay "on property". Some of the off property hotels are even closer then the on property.

You might want to check out Southwest's "low fare calendar" to get an idea of when it's cheapest to fly with them.

I just pulled up their site. For a random time, I picked flying in June from HNL to LAX. 6/4/20 is $278 per person. Return trip on 6/9/20 is $328. So, $606 round trip per person.

ETA: Just hit me maybe the $400 you mentioned was round trip. If so, ignore my whole post :)

Use google's flight search (you can specify multiple departing and arriving airports). Inbound 1/23/2020, outbound (just an example, many options) 1/30/2020, Delta, lowest $360 round trip (well, maybe return flight has more connections than ideal, there is also a direct option for $388). Well, right that's close to $400. There are many dates for the range of $350-400.

Last edited:
Crappy weather in Hawaii? I'd take a crappy weather day in Hawaii over any dark, wintery day here in Washington. :flower1:

Have you ever experienced how hard it rains in Hawaii? Especially on certain sides of each island? Nothing like landing in Hilo where it's just pouring buckets.

Have you ever experienced how hard it rains in Hawaii? Especially on certain sides of each island? Nothing like landing in Hilo where it's just pouring buckets.
At least I'd expect it to be a warmer rain...
I'm also in the PNW, my house has had over 3 inches of moisture in 2020. Most with the temp mid 20's to mid 30's.
I try to escape to So Cal too. Will be going at the end of the month...

Margot31, Good luck finding budget friendly airfare to DLR.

Geemo

At least I'd expect it to be a warmer rain...
I'm also in the PNW, my house has had over 3 inches of moisture in 2020. Most with the temp mid 20's to mid 30's.
I try to escape to So Cal too. Will be going at the end of the month...

Margot31, Good luck finding budget friendly airfare to DLR.

Geemo

I dunno. I've seen it snowing in King County. But some of the hardest rains I've ever seen were on the windward sides of Oahu and Hawaii. That and Miami in September.

I have actually. Was there twice when there were hurricanes on the outer islands. Enjoy your Disney trip 8-)

$400 is pretty much the best you can get. I always do Hawaiian Airlines. Crappy weather is hot and humid weather here in Hawaii. I been loving the past couple weeks with the rainy windy weather which is rare for hawaii.

My family flew Alaska from the San Jose to Hawaii last September, the Week after Labor Day, for $238 round trip. Summer ticket prices were around $400. September can be hot in Anaheim, so there is that to consider.

I have a strong preference for Hawaiian Airlines. I feel anytime Hawaii schools have a break, flights are expensive. I'm not sure how willing you are to pull your kids out of school, but that will probably be the easiest way to find cheaper flights.

I have a general rule of thumb, aim for about AUD$100 per hour of flying time. So as it’s a 5.5 hour flight, US$400 seems reasonable (That’s about A$580).

As for slower times of year that may have cheaper flights to CA, usually right before and after holiday periods are your best bet. So between Easter and Mid May, Early December, Mid January, early to mid September etc. That’s just a generalisation though.

Sign up with the various airlines newsletters so you are informed of flight specials and keep in touch with the pricing trends. Flying midweek (Tue/Wed, sometimes Thu) can often be cheaper as well of course.

Summer time is hella expensive! Over $600 for round trip tickets! Best is off season when school is in session!

Alaska Airlines credit card has a companion fare program that helps us out every year. Additionally, the miles don't expire. They also will have some good sales on occasion to Hawaii. At least from Seattle.

... and what island are you on? Currently (1/17/2020) there are some crazy deals for the first week of March from Honolulu too LAX. Monday March 2nd, $260/pp, return flight Thursday March 5th $230/pp. Lower if you go for the saver fare... lower still if you do a connecting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter