Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

Not sure what you mean. If you book for next weekend, you can always cancel and rebook for another date.
I'm not sure what OP was meaning, but for my family, we usually need 3 days of park tickets, usually Friday-Sunday. We often have to travel on school holidays or in the summer. So most days are "reservation required". We fly in and stay on site. So I would have to make flights and hotel (flights not easy/cheap to change, hotel could be changed) and take time off of work prior to knowing if I will get any of my 'reservation only" days. And even if I get 2 of them at 30 days out, I may not get the third day. So I will have spent money to fly all the way to California, but only be able to go two days. So, that is what concerns me about the pass.

I'm not sure what OP was meaning, but for my family, we usually need 3 days of park tickets, usually Friday-Sunday. We often have to travel on school holidays or in the summer. So most days are "reservation required". We fly in and stay on site. So I would have to make flights and hotel (flights not easy/cheap to change, hotel could be changed) and take time off of work prior to knowing if I will get any of my 'reservation only" days. And even if I get 2 of them at 30 days out, I may not get the third day. So I will have spent money to fly all the way to California, but only be able to go two days. So, that is what concerns me about the pass.

Which is why the flex pass may not be the best choice for you. There are multiple types of passes in part because one size does not fit all. As attractive as the price point of the flex pass was to me, I opted to get DS18 a signature pass when we went last week because we were there for three days and I already have other multi-day trips planned for his pass year, one of which is on a national holiday. In addition, DS18 will be going to school in southern California starting next week and may spontaneously want to visit the parks occasionally. This way he doesn't have to be concerned with whether or not a reservation is available the day he wants to go (most likely a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) but can just go. For us, we decided we would get the value out of the signature pass for him, so I'm not going to sit around worrying about whether we could have gotten away with a flex pass. Other people's travel patterns are different and more flexible, so the flex pass suits them better, so that's a great deal for them and I don't begrudge them their enjoyment of it. I have in fact suggested it as an option for some relatives who would like to visit the parks but prefer to go only one or two days at a time spread out over the year because it seems like an especially great option for that kind of plan.

Our SoCal AP with MaxPass expires on 12/20/19 and we're thinking about switching over to the Flex AP. I have a question about the day that we switch over to the Flex AP. So with the other AP if we renew in person, the park usually gives us a day pass to enter the park even if we renew on a blackout date for the SoCal AP. With the Flex AP, since there are Black Out dates, No Reservations Available Dates, Reservations Required Dates, and Good To Go dates, that throws a little more into the mix.

So here's our scenario. Our SoCal Passes expire on 12/20/19. If we let them expire and then decide to purchase the Disney Flax AP when we plan to go, should we do it over the phone or in person? The dates that we would go would be Jan 10-13, 2020.The 10th and 13th are Good To Go dates but the 11th and 12th require reservations. Now let's say we go to the park and purchase the Disney Flex AP on Friday, Jan 10th. No problem since it's a Good To Go but aren't we rolling the dice with being able to enter on the 11th and 12th since we require a reservation and can only make a reservation once we have the Disney Flex AP? Is there any tips and tricks that I don't know about to help us "guarantee" entrance on the Saturday and Sunday. Please keep in mind that we would also have to purchase hotel rooms so that's another factor to consider. I don't want to upgrade to Disney Flex AP on Jan 10th, book hotels rooms for the weekend through Monday only to find out that Saturday and Sunday are booked.

Is there any benefit to instead of letting our current AP expire, we renew them on 12/20/19 but update them to the Disney Flex AP at that time? It seems that if I do this, I have a couple of weeks ahead of our schedule to then book Jan 11th and Jan 12th to "guarantee" our entrance but then the sucky thing is we'll have renewed our passes early and won't really be "using" it until Jan 10th. I would prefer to begin an AP 1 year period on the date that we first plan to use it to maximize our 1 year period with the pass.

Buy 4-day park hoppers (I've used Last Minute Travel several times - call them and you don't have to worry about getting a membership) then upgrade to Flex on your last day. 😊

Our SoCal AP with MaxPass expires on 12/20/19 and we're thinking about switching over to the Flex AP. I have a question about the day that we switch over to the Flex AP. So with the other AP if we renew in person, the park usually gives us a day pass to enter the park even if we renew on a blackout date for the SoCal AP. With the Flex AP, since there are Black Out dates, No Reservations Available Dates, Reservations Required Dates, and Good To Go dates, that throws a little more into the mix.

So here's our scenario. Our SoCal Passes expire on 12/20/19. If we let them expire and then decide to purchase the Disney Flax AP when we plan to go, should we do it over the phone or in person? The dates that we would go would be Jan 10-13, 2020.The 10th and 13th are Good To Go dates but the 11th and 12th require reservations. Now let's say we go to the park and purchase the Disney Flex AP on Friday, Jan 10th. No problem since it's a Good To Go but aren't we rolling the dice with being able to enter on the 11th and 12th since we require a reservation and can only make a reservation once we have the Disney Flex AP? Is there any tips and tricks that I don't know about to help us "guarantee" entrance on the Saturday and Sunday. Please keep in mind that we would also have to purchase hotel rooms so that's another factor to consider. I don't want to upgrade to Disney Flex AP on Jan 10th, book hotels rooms for the weekend through Monday only to find out that Saturday and Sunday are booked.

Is there any benefit to instead of letting our current AP expire, we renew them on 12/20/19 but update them to the Disney Flex AP at that time? It seems that if I do this, I have a couple of weeks ahead of our schedule to then book Jan 11th and Jan 12th to "guarantee" our entrance but then the sucky thing is we'll have renewed our passes early and won't really be "using" it until Jan 10th. I would prefer to begin an AP 1 year period on the date that we first plan to use it to maximize our 1 year period with the pass.

Here is what I would do.

Reserve your hotel for your Disneyland trip in January now, then let your current APs expire.

Go to Disneyland.com and create a NEW account with a different email.

When you are approaching your 30 day window for the 11th and 12th, purchase a new Disney Flex Pass with your new Disney account. Once the transaction is complete you can begin making FlexPass reservations. Since you would be booking those two dates right at the 30 day window you are pretty much guaranteed to get those dates.

Even though you can begin making reservations with your FlexPass the moment the transaction is complete the "clock" on your FlexPass won't start until you enter one of the parks, so you lose no days by going this route.

So, I had a reservation for today and Thursday at Disneyland and I scanned in at 1pm to Disneyland. When can I make a reservation for tomorrow? The app has no indication of when I may do so...

So, I had a reservation for today and Thursday at Disneyland and I scanned in at 1pm to Disneyland. When can I make a reservation for tomorrow? The app has no indication of when I may do so...
Once you scan in, you can make a reservation for a second day.

What if you scan in, made your second reservation for another day, and left the park? Are you allowed to come back in that same day even though now you have two reservations held for future dates?
Does it recognize that you’ve already scanned in for the day so allows you to return?

Once you scan in, you can make a reservation for a second day.
Well I still can’t make a reservation for now the third day. Had a reservation for Today and Thursday — now want to make one for tomorrow. Can’t do it :( maybe I need to do it not from the app.

Well I still can’t make a reservation for now the third day. Had a reservation for Today and Thursday — now want to make one for tomorrow. Can’t do it :( maybe I need to do it not from the app.
Can you log into Disney.com through a web browser on your phone and try that way?

Sometimes you can make a new reservation as soon as you've scanned in, sometimes it won't work until the next day (after midnight, I don't know exactly when).

Once you've scanned in you are good for that day, even if you make one for a later day.

It’s probably too early to know this, but do you think Saturdays and Sundays will now become days to especially avoid as tourists because of this new pass? I know for some time now, Saturday’s during the summer have been especially nice because of the number of AP blockouts. If a lot of flex APers are using their days on weekends, they could become the days to try and avoid again.

It’s probably too early to know this, but do you think Saturdays and Sundays will now become days to especially avoid as tourists because of this new pass? I know for some time now, Saturday’s during the summer have been especially nice because of the number of AP blockouts. If a lot of flex APers are using their days on weekends, they could become the days to try and avoid again.
The last few Saturdays in particular have definitely been more crowded than the other days of the week - which, as you noted, bucks the trend of “Saturdays during the summer” being lighter days.

I don’t know if that’s due to the Flex pass or to something else (for instance, the mere fact that people have heard they’re a good time to visit can make them a bad time to visit!), but it’s been pronounced enough that I’ll probably stop recommending summer Saturdays (which I’ve done in the past) until I see how next summer goes.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with people trying to get in the last few weekends before the end of the AP "Bring a Friend" promo. The prices on those tickets was a great deal!

I definitely think that has something to do with it, with this past weekend being the second to last it's available.

We were there Sunday and while it was busier than earlier in the summer, and fast passes ran out much faster, it was by no means really busy.

Randomly noticed this wording in the app underneath DDs Flex Pass

Gold pass? Never heard it referred to this way. Maybe they’re thinking of adding different flex pass levels? Like a cheaper Silver can only have 1 reservation every 30 days or something? Or 2 every 60?

Curious if this is just an App language error (and we know Disney never has issues like that... :rolleyes1) or if there will be some announcements soon. I do think Disney will do away with Deluxe and maybe other pass types and start pushing more folks toward a reservation type system...

View attachment 428228

Gold pass? Never heard it referred to this way. Maybe they’re thinking of adding different flex pass levels? Like a cheaper Silver can only have 1 reservation every 30 days or something? Or 2 every 60?

Curious if this is just an App language error (and we know Disney never has issues like that... :rolleyes1) or if there will be some announcements soon. I do think Disney will do away with Deluxe and maybe other pass types and start pushing more folks toward a reservation type system...
I noticed this wording too and wondered the same thing.

View attachment 428228

Great find, thanks for posting. That sure sounds like "tiers" are coming.
Based on crowds this week following unblocking of Deluxe... I think safe to say Deluxe renewals cratered in the past year due to the price & blockouts. Many have posted that they and/or friends/family did not renew Deluxe this year. Possibly as desired by TDA.

Maybe next step is offer tiers as you describe. Then they can somewhat manage attendance on short-notice. Keep in mind the big picture: They get airline booking reports, hotel occupancy data, etc. They know how many tourists are coming and when.

What they need to know is how many APs, or lack of APs, are coming on a given day. Smart.

Great find, thanks for posting. That sure sounds like "tiers" are coming.
Based on crowds this week following unblocking of Deluxe... I think safe to say Deluxe renewals cratered in the past year due to the price & blockouts. Many have posted that they and/or friends/family did not renew Deluxe this year. Possibly as desired by TDA.

Maybe next step is offer tiers as you describe. Then they can somewhat manage attendance on short-notice. Keep in mind the big picture: They get airline booking reports, hotel occupancy data, etc. They know how many tourists are coming and when.

What they need to know is how many APs, or lack of APs, are coming on a given day. Smart.
Gah this makes predicting crowd patterns even harder lol

I’m having the same issue! My friend was able to make another reservation as soon as he scanned in on Wednesday but I tried on Thursday on the app and website and it’s a no go.

I haven't been following this thread since July 4th, when reservations for DISNEYLAND and BOTH were mostly unavailable, although in the final hours of July 4th they both became briefly available, then unavailable, then available, etc. as people apparently cancelled their reservations.

Has anyone been keeping track of subsequent "Reservation Unavailable" days? I'm curious to know for how many days in the summer Disneyland wasn't available for the Flexpass. I assume reservations were available for California Adventure each day during the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter