Fleet deployment with new ships

I heard a rumor (from a Palo server - not ours but at another table) that one of the new ships may go to or be based in Australia. (So maybe Australia, New Zealand, Phillippines, New Guinea, Indonesia, maybe French Polynesia.)

That may make for an interesting itinerary but I am hoping that one of the ships will go out of Japan or China (do a 10-12 day Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, etc.).

I also heard a rumor that "no way will Disney go to Asia," from another server but why not, after all there are Disneylands in a couple of places in Asia and I know that Japanese people loooove Mickey - as I witnessed at Tokyo Disneyland. Why not have one of the new ships do a couple of Asian tours in the summer and it can come back to the States for Carrib, etc.

I heard a rumor (from a Palo server - not ours but at another table) that one of the new ships may go to or be based in Australia. (So maybe Australia, New Zealand, Phillippines, New Guinea, Indonesia, maybe French Polynesia.)

That may make for an interesting itinerary but I am hoping that one of the ships will go out of Japan or China (do a 10-12 day Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, etc.).

I also heard a rumor that "no way will Disney go to Asia," from another server but why not, after all there are Disneylands in a couple of places in Asia and I know that Japanese people loooove Mickey - as I witnessed at Tokyo Disneyland. Why not have one of the new ships do a couple of Asian tours in the summer and it can come back to the States for Carrib, etc.

Personally Id looooove a ship in French Polynesia! We visited Bora Bora, Tahiti and Le Taha'a a few years ago and had the best time. I really want to visit Moorea, Samoa and a few more islands.

The arguments I've heard against Asia involve cultural differences that would not mesh with what we consider a family cruise (gambling, smoking) and ironically a few things that are MORE family oriented like multi-generational families sharing space which would be hard to do in the little cabins. You either configure the ships differently with totally different food and entertainment options or fail due to upsetting one or the other side of that seasonal split. Supposedly.

Stateside, the only ports that can accommodate the three new ships (today) are Tacoma, Jacksonville, and Port Fourchon, LA (south of New Orleans) as those are the only ports in the US that can refuel LNG (Liquid Natural Gas) which the new ships will burn for fuel. Port Canaveral is in the process of fabricating their facilities and Miami has one on the drawing board as does the ports of LA/Long Beach. That's it. So, it looks like the 3 new ships will mostly work the Bahamas/Caribbean runs while the older 4 disperse

Not sure about international ports, but it wouldn't surprise me if Singapore, Tokyo/Yokosuka and Busan could refuel LNG, but I could only imagine the first two as homeports for DCL ships.

ETA: did some digging. Gibraltar is in the process of fabricating an LNG fueling station, Singapore is establishing a ship/barge based system - as is Montreal, Rotterdam has a full refueling capability right now as does Zhousan. Full list below:
CURRENT
Europe
Rotterdam
Hammerfast
Barcelona

North America
Tacoma
JAX
Montreal
Port Fourchon
Panama
Dominican Republic

Asia
Singapore
Kochi
Yokohama

PLANNED
Europe
Gibraltar
Dunkirk
Hamburg

North America
Port Canaveral
Miami
LA/Long Beach

Asia
Busan
Zhousan (in process of increasing capacity)

Last edited:
It’s delusional to think the 3 new ships will end up anywhere except the Caribbean/Bahamas. It’s the #1 cruise market. I think 2 of them are going to PC with the 3rd going to Miami.

I could see the dream or fantasy adopting a wonder like schedule where it does west coast and various Caribbean itineraries from smaller ports. The wonder will permanently be on the west coast.

We know that 1 ship will sail from Miami year round, and a 2nd will sail seasonally. Starting in 2023 and 2024 respectively. I think the permanent one will be a triton class. The seasonal one being the Dream or Fantasy, which will take on the Magic’s schedule of NE, Europe, and Caribbean.

I can’t for the life of me think where the Magic will go. Maybe year round from NYC? I had thought I heard the Asian cruise market was turning out to be a lot smaller than expected, which Disney wouldn’t take a risk on.

It’s delusional to think the 3 new ships will end up anywhere except the Caribbean/Bahamas. It’s the #1 cruise market. I think 2 of them are going to PC with the 3rd going to Miami.

I could see the dream or fantasy adopting a wonder like schedule where it does west coast and various Caribbean itineraries from smaller ports. The wonder will permanently be on the west coast.

We know that 1 ship will sail from Miami year round, and a 2nd will sail seasonally. Starting in 2023 and 2024 respectively. I think the permanent one will be a triton class. The seasonal one being the Dream or Fantasy, which will take on the Magic’s schedule of NE, Europe, and Caribbean.

I can’t for the life of me think where the Magic will go. Maybe year round from NYC? I had thought I heard the Asian cruise market was turning out to be a lot smaller than expected, which Disney wouldn’t take a risk on.

I do think the magic could be used to increase the sailings out of New York. It could also be used for adding more southern caribean sailings out of a Florida port. You could also see it used to give New Orleans and Galveston get more departure dates.

Also some cruise lines run partial Panama Canal crossings where they just go halfway through the Panama Canal and come back to Florida. If the demand is there, you could potentially see Disney do this as well.

i was sitting around thinking about Disney’s new ships this morning. Why are you guys opinions on how they will deploy the new ships. I could see 2 or the ships relieving the dream and fantasy on the Canaveral circuit to free them up to be more mobile like the magic and wonder.

I don’t see Disney having 7 ships based in the carribean in winter though. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one cruise out of Australia in winter.

Also, any rumors that they might decommission and sell the classic ships in the years following the new ship rollout. I’m not sure how big of a cruise line Disney thinks their high end family market can support.
With 3 Diseny ships already using Castaway Cay and Disney starting construction on a new private island, it would seem that they would be adding an additional ship to the East Coast. According to one of the Captains, the new ships will be bigger but hold the same number of guests.

With 3 Diseny ships already using Castaway Cay and Disney starting construction on a new private island, it would seem that they would be adding an additional ship to the East Coast. According to one of the Captains, the new ships will be bigger but hold the same number of guests.

“Bigger” is only 3-4%.

They are not going the behemoths of the seas route. Thankfully.

Another "rumor": One of the ships may port in Tokyo with a potential itinerary of Tokyo, Shanghai, Busan (Korea), Jeju Island (Korea) and Osaka (Japan). There would be 5 and 10 day routes. Not sure with the current uncertainties with Hong Kong if they will keep the Shanghai stop. I would love to see this type of route include Vietnam, Taiwan and/or Singapore. Again, this is only a "rumor" or what they contemplated a few years ago. Not sure if they decided to follow through but would be awesome! :)

I believe that the first new Triton will relieve the Dream and the Dream will go to Alaska. The second will relieve the Wonder and the Fantasy will take over.

That is if they follow the same pattern they did when the Dream class ships came out.

I did hear that the Dream is / is to be prepared for colder waters, that helped my guess.

I know that many of the ports in Alaska and also in Europe can't handle bigger ships. I'm not sure, however, if that means "Dream/Fantasy" sized ships, or if those are small enough, and it's the super ships that other lines have been building that can't go there.

We just took a shuttle from hotel to Port Canaveral and had a very chatty bus driver...thank god it was a short trip. Has anyone else heard that Disney will expand the port area to be a mini Disney Springs? He even said Fish Lips, other restaurants and marinas will all be gone as Disney expands. Would make sense with more ships coming into play.

We just took a shuttle from hotel to Port Canaveral and had a very chatty bus driver...thank god it was a short trip. Has anyone else heard that Disney will expand the port area to be a mini Disney Springs? He even said Fish Lips, other restaurants and marinas will all be gone as Disney expands. Would make sense with more ships coming into play.

Gotta love the bus driver rumor mill. I doubt DCL will expand that much in PC. Even if they did, I really doubt they'd take out Fishlips. It's too popular. Getting rid of marinas would be a contractual nightmare. Not that DCL doesn't have the money but it would probably get pricier than they want.

Re: Alaska

I would love to see two ships in Alaska with one doing the rounds trip from Vancouver and one doing one-way itineraries.

Think of the ABD add on options. $$$$$$

Gotta love the bus driver rumor mill. I doubt DCL will expand that much in PC. Even if they did, I really doubt they'd take out Fishlips. It's too popular. Getting rid of marinas would be a contractual nightmare. Not that DCL doesn't have the money but it would probably get pricier than they want.

Which I was I thought. It was a very interesting 10 minute drive to the port to say the least.

I know that many of the ports in Alaska and also in Europe can't handle bigger ships. I'm not sure, however, if that means "Dream/Fantasy" sized ships, or if those are small enough, and it's the super ships that other lines have been building that can't go there.
I think it’s referring to the mega ships, the new Norwegian Bliss is about the same size as the Dream and she’s up in Alaska.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!