Flat restaurant surcharge per check

Saw my first restaurants adding on 3% for paying with a credit card while on vacation. One in Key West, one on 30 A. We just paid with cash at those restaurants and used the credit card at all the others.

This fee is optional. Pay cash and avoid it.
How can I pay cash? I don't use a bank and can't deposit the cash I don't use. I would rather just pay the 3% surcharge.

I would prefer to patronize restaurants which price their meals based on their costs and doesn’t nickel and dime their customers with fees. I understand that food costs have gone up, so that entree that used to cost $10 may now cost $15. However, the credit card fees are a cost of doing business, and other fees are simple money grabs. Price your product appropriately and allow me to choose whether I want to eat in your restaurant or not.
Exactly. I absolutely despise when a business adds all different charges and fees which you don't see until you're ready to checkout (if online) or worse, when the bill comes after you enjoyed your meal.

People hate being tricked and I think these fees, rather than baking it into the price, just turn people away from a business.

Just got back from Busch Gardens Williamsburg. They had a 5% surcharge on all food checks.
From what I heard, the surcharge notice is in tiny print within a similar background on the menu boards making it difficult to notice.

E1BC8927-4DE6-414C-907B-1BBF4D10492E.jpeg

1315AE8D-B69D-4071-B04E-E894238EF263.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t seen this yet. Lots of new menus with prices increase and/or cutting expensive ingredients.

I also hate the “new”. 4% or so charge for Using a credit card. Seems to be the locally owned places not the chains yet.

I have used credit cards almost exclusively for almost 20 years. It’s just easier for me and I get the points. Now it is costing more when eating/drinking out at many places.
Ironic isn't it, how the restaurants/retail get charged for credit card transactions so the credit card company can pay you the points for using and now you're upset that the restaurants/retail try to get back what they have to pay for you to get the points?

One local breakfast/lunch only joint has been charging a CC fee since they reopened after covid. The notice is on the door, the menus, and a card at each table. I don’t mind a small business doing this.

I think it’s a 3% fee, and the first time I encountered it I checked my receipt later and it turned out to be something like 3.0037184%. They’re probably fleecing their customers for an extra combined $5 per day!!!!

There is a way to eliminate these fees, just like there's a way not to pay an enormous amount of money for a cell phone or for a truck. No one will do what is necessary though and instead the fees will eventually be on everything we spend money on because we just grumble but accept the fees.

I also hate the “new”. 4% or so charge for Using a credit card. Seems to be the locally owned places not the chains yet.
Am I crazy or did it used to be illegal to charge a higher price for credit cards vs cash years ago? At least in Florida, I remember it used to be a law.

Ironic isn't it, how the restaurants/retail get charged for credit card transactions so the credit card company can pay you the points for using and now you're upset that the restaurants/retail try to get back what they have to pay for you to get the points?
I think the people paying cash should be upset. They are paying for my juicy credit card benefits.

Am I crazy or did it used to be illegal to charge a higher price for credit cards vs cash years ago? At least in Florida, I remember it used to be a law.
I thought it was usually part of the agreement between the business and the credit card company. That in order to be able to accept their cards you couldn't charge customers more to use them.

From what I heard, the surcharge notice is in tiny print within a similar background on the menu boards making it difficult to notice.

View attachment 680475

View attachment 680476

Best thing I did was buy the Busch Gardens Black Friday deal last year (unlimited quick queue, food, and 1 day in the parks) - we did that day and then the free Vet's Day for a great 2 day getaway. Since we got to the parks late on the 1st day, I only had to buy one meal, but I noticed the charge on the check.

Made me so happy to not have to pay it anywhere the 2nd day, especially with the counter service prices. That rib platter (which was one of the only things I could eat in the parks, but that's an allergy story - without the roll and fries and with an allergy sub of coleslaw) plus a cup of fruit and a bottle of water was over $30...

In fact, for 2 meals for 7 (where the 7th person just shared b/c we had enough stuff), I spent $168 and $183 at CS...and a snack for 6 with a soda was $70...I cringe to think if I had to pay that OOP, or if I had to do that for 7-10 days on a Florida vacation. And these are CS, not TS, prices...

I am so addicted to the 4.5% discount at restaurants I don't think I could ever give up using credit cards

After some Googling it's supposedly illegal in 5 states, including mine. But I know of a local pizza place in town that started charging added fees for credit card use a couple years ago, so 🤷‍♀️.
Apparently it's fine to offer discounts for using cash in those states, but not to add a fee to use a card.

Reactions: shh
After some Googling it's supposedly illegal in 5 states, including mine. But I know of a local pizza place in town that started charging added fees for credit card use a couple years ago, so 🤷‍♀️.
Apparently it's fine to offer discounts for using cash in those states, but not to add a fee to use a card.
I believe that’s how Florida handled it. There was the listed price, and then you could offer a cash discount off that price, but you couldn’t penalize patrons by adding a credit card fee on top of the listed price. That seems fair to me, because I can base my choice on the listed price and know it won’t be higher than that (other than sales tax, but that is not the fault of the restaurant).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter