First week January crowds?

jemtx

DIS Veteran
From those who have been there before what are the crowds like the first week of January (after New Years), say January 2nd or 3rd until the 5th or 6th?

I can't speak to the first half of that week right by New Years, but I've arrived on 1/4 with our first park day being 1/5. At the time I thought crowds were more than I'd expected, though still manageable. However, that was in 2017 and was my first trip since 2009. I went again this year during a less-busy week in early May and realized that the crowd levels in early January weren't bad at all, my expectations were just off because I was basing it on trips from a decade or more ago.

Looking at it now, I'd say those dates were very reasonable crowd-wise if you have your expectations set right. I'd imagine the days closer to New Years would be a bit busier as you wait for the holiday crowds to leave.

From those who have been there before what are the crowds like the first week of January (after New Years), say January 2nd or 3rd until the 5th or 6th?

We're there Jan 1-8, and I expect holiday madness until the weekend. Then a calmer second half of the trip, but not low crowds. I never expect low crowds any more--except maybe if I was willing to sautee myself on an August trip.

I can't speak to the first half of that week right by New Years, but I've arrived on 1/4 with our first park day being 1/5. At the time I thought crowds were more than I'd expected, though still manageable. However, that was in 2017 and was my first trip since 2009. I went again this year during a less-busy week in early May and realized that the crowd levels in early January weren't bad at all, my expectations were just off because I was basing it on trips from a decade or more ago.

Looking at it now, I'd say those dates were very reasonable crowd-wise if you have your expectations set right. I'd imagine the days closer to New Years would be a bit busier as you wait for the holiday crowds to leave.
Thanks for the reply. I had a similar shock this June with the crowds after not being in Disney for at least 10 years. 😮

We will be there Jan 1-5 as well. We are driving in Dec 31 but have no plans to try the parks that night. I know Dec 31 is one of the busiest days of the year, but how is Jan 1? Maybe the morning is slower from people sleeping in due to staying up for NYE (or maybe I have wishful thinking)?

We will be there Jan 1-5 as well. We are driving in Dec 31 but have no plans to try the parks that night. I know Dec 31 is one of the busiest days of the year, but how is Jan 1? Maybe the morning is slower from people sleeping in due to staying up for NYE (or maybe I have wishful thinking)?
I'd hit up whatever park has the earliest EMH New Year's morning!

I find the first 4 or 5 days of January just as crowded as Dec. 26-30th. Christmas crowds are still hanging around. That being said, I still find it totally manageable and enjoyable. :)

I find the first 4 or 5 days of January just as crowded as Dec. 26-30th. Christmas crowds are still hanging around.

This. With January 1st falling on a Wednesday next year, expect the holiday crowds to remain in full force til Sunday the 5th.

This. With January 1st falling on a Wednesday next year, expect the holiday crowds to remain in full force til Sunday the 5th.
You’re probably right. I was hoping for low crowds, but I’m probably dreaming.

We’re heading to the World 1/2 - 1/9. Have never been that time of year before, so I have no personal experience, but I’m expecting big crowds - especially with New Year’s falling mid-week. Nevertheless, we will manage our expectations, plan well and have a great trip!!!

We’re heading to the World 1/2 - 1/9. Have never been that time of year before, so I have no personal experience, but I’m expecting big crowds - especially with New Year’s falling mid-week. Nevertheless, we will manage our expectations, plan well and have a great trip!!!
Yes, I think modifying expectations is the biggest thing. We are going with my parents 1/1-1/5. We will do ADRs instead of fighting QS service lines and our FPs. Bonus for picking up lower tier FPs day of. We don’t need to try to ride everything. At least it won’t be as humid as it was in August!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter