First timer

DisneyShack

FEAR THE DUCK
Well not exactly but the last time I was at Dsneyland was 1981 (13 years old). Now I'm returning 26 years later with wife and 2 daughters (6, 9). We're arriving June 9th and staying at the Grand Californian. We'll only have two days for the parks so any advice or comments on things not to miss would be helpful. Also, what are the crowds like this time of year? Finally, what is the Grand Californian like? I have so many questions because it is all so new to me. Now WDW, I can tour with my eyes closed...:dance3:

Things I would not want to miss if I had 2 days in the parks:

DL
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Fantasmic!
RDCT Fireworks
POTC
Indiana Jones
BTMR

*Try a Dole Whip (if you like pineapple) and I hear the chicken at Bengal BBQ is really good.

CA
GRR
Soarin'
CS
ToT

Have a great trip!:thumbsup2

Well not exactly but the last time I was at Dsneyland was 1981 (13 years old). Now I'm returning 26 years later with wife and 2 daughters (6, 9). We're arriving June 9th and staying at the Grand Californian. We'll only have two days for the parks so any advice or comments on things not to miss would be helpful. Also, what are the crowds like this time of year? Finally, what is the Grand Californian like? I have so many questions because it is all so new to me. Now WDW, I can tour with my eyes closed...:dance3:

That's awesome! I hope you have a wonderful time. :thumbsup2 A lot has changed since you were last there, but a lot has remained the same too - that's just some of the beauty of the DL! Not sure where you've stayed at WDW before, but the GC is very much like Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are nice and the atmosphere incredible. The lobby is beautiful. And it sits right where the old parking lot was, next to DCA - so you're just a short walk away from DL's main gate. No buses to get around at DLR. Everything is walking distance.

At DL itself, some of the attractions that aren't at WDW include:

Matterhorn
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Pinocchio's Daring Adventures
Alice in Wonderland
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Indiana Jones - a must do!
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
The Primeval World diorama on the train around the park

You'll find that POTC is about twice the length at DL vs MK
Space Mtn is "better" at DL
Fantasmic is shown on the Rivers of America - no seating like at DHS, but the show is much better at DL
Tom Sawyer Island now has Pirates Lair as part of it - and is pretty neat to experience
The Enchanted Tiki Room is the original show - no misguided Under New Management part of the show like at MK

DL itself has a much larger concentration of rides and attractions in a single park compared to WDW. You'll definitely notice the size difference since DL is much smaller acreage-wise, but the atmosphere and history is wonderful. I hope you have a WONDERFUL time.

PP had a great list of not to miss! A couple rides I cannot miss is the Mad Tea Party, and Storybookland canals (but ride it as the sun is setting or just after, when there is still some light out to see, but dark enough that you can see all the little homes glowing!!)

I dont rememeber if she/he mentioned HM, but a definate must see! DOnt see how he/she could have missed that though!!

Have a wonderful trip!!

PP had a great list of not to miss! A couple rides I cannot miss is the Mad Tea Party, and Storybookland canals (but ride it as the sun is setting or just after, when there is still some light out to see, but dark enough that you can see all the little homes glowing!!)

I dont rememeber if she/he mentioned HM, but a definate must see! DOnt see how he/she could have missed that though!!

Have a wonderful trip!!

You're right - I didn't mention HM...it's a definite must see - it's different on the outside from MK - but very much the same on the inside, with a few differences. (Actually, MK has a new scene in it that DL doesn't have (the endless staircase scene) - so the inside of of MK's is plussed a bit over DL - though I definitely prefer the DL original. At DL, the stretching gallery is an elevator and you actually go down underground in order to move beyond the berm and outside the park. At MK, the floor stays put and the ceiling rises. I definitely prefer DL's version from the front gate until you board the Doom Buggy!

Another unique ride to DL is Casey Jr. Circus Train - it rides around and through the Storybook Land part of Fantasyland.

Finding Nemo has taken over the subs - but hooray, since they had closed it for about 9 years. It's great to have it open again - and it's definitely better than the little clamshell ride at Epcot.

At DCA you'll find ToT and Soarin - the queue theming for Soarin' is much better at DCA, since it was the original version. The film they put in at Epcot is the same as at DCA.

Grizzly River Run is very much like Kali River Rapids, but themed to CA's wilderness instead of India. It's a little longer and wetter than KRR too.

CA Screaming is a fun coaster - nothing too intense, but a must do, IMO.

That's awesome! I hope you have a wonderful time. :thumbsup2 A lot has changed since you were last there, but a lot has remained the same too - that's just some of the beauty of the DL! Not sure where you've stayed at WDW before, but the GC is very much like Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are nice and the atmosphere incredible. The lobby is beautiful. And it sits right where the old parking lot was, next to DCA - so you're just a short walk away from DL's main gate. No buses to get around at DLR. Everything is walking distance.

At DL itself, some of the attractions that aren't at WDW include:

Matterhorn
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Pinocchio's Daring Adventures
Alice in Wonderland
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Indiana Jones - a must do!
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
The Primeval World diorama on the train around the park

You'll find that POTC is about twice the length at DL vs MK
Space Mtn is "better" at DL
Fantasmic is shown on the Rivers of America - no seating like at DHS, but the show is much better at DL
Tom Sawyer Island now has Pirates Lair as part of it - and is pretty neat to experience
The Enchanted Tiki Room is the original show - no misguided Under New Management part of the show like at MK

DL itself has a much larger concentration of rides and attractions in a single park compared to WDW. You'll definitely notice the size difference since DL is much smaller acreage-wise, but the atmosphere and history is wonderful. I hope you have a WONDERFUL time.

Fantastic advice. I've been reading the UG and also visiting some other websites. We have stayed at the WL before so it will be nice to have that familiarity. Is the Indiana Jones ride like Dinosaur at AK? If so, we'll probably skip. When we rode Dinosaur, our DDs buried their heads in our arms and screamed the whole time...we all laugh about it now!! :rotfl2:

Fantastic advice. I've been reading the UG and also visiting some other websites. We have stayed at the WL before so it will be nice to have that familiarity. Is the Indiana Jones ride like Dinosaur at AK? If so, we'll probably skip. When we rode Dinosaur, our DDs buried their heads in our arms and screamed the whole time...we all laugh about it now!! :rotfl2:

While the ride vehicles are the same, the themeing is totally different and not to be missed, especially if you are an Indiana Jones fan. Try it at least once.

While the ride vehicles are the same, the themeing is totally different and not to be missed, especially if you are an Indiana Jones fan. Try it at least once.

The ride vehicles and track layout are actually the same - it's just the themeing and show building that are different. When I first rode Dinosaur, I had this remarkable deja vu feeling, - all you had to do was throw on some lights, add some fire effects and skeletons and you'd have Indy. Our sons had been on Indy first - then when they went on Dinosaur, they were disappointed because it's just so dark and hard to see anything - they definitely preferred Indy though, even though it's roughly the same experience.

... We're arriving June 9th ...

I recommend Jungle Cruise, and if you get a chance, it's also interesting and even better at night. :goodvibes

The Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes usually open at 11:00 a.m., and the lines just after it opens are usually short. :goodvibes

Unfortunately, it looks like Fantasmic will not be showing during your stay. :sad1:
According to this calendar:
http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200806.asp

Read all the stickies on this board! So helpful. If still wanting more handy info, I recommend buying or going to the library for the Unofficial Guide to DLR. Great read.

And if you want to see what is gone since you were last there....visit this site:

http://www.yesterland.com/

Have a wonderful time!!

:banana: :banana:

I just realized this is my 1,000th post! woot!!

Read all the stickies on this board! So helpful. If still wanting more handy info, I recommend buying or going to the library for the Unofficial Guide to DLR. Great read.

And if you want to see what is gone since you were last there....visit this site:

http://www.yesterland.com/

Have a wonderful time!!

:banana: :banana:

I just realized this is my 1,000th post! woot!!

Thanks for the tip. One question, we are staying at the GC and have a 2-day PH. From what I've read, although we do not have a 3-day PH we will still be able to take advantage of early entry days because we are staying at a DLR hotel, correct?

... we are staying at the GC and have a 2-day PH. From what I've read, although we do not have a 3-day PH we will still be able to take advantage of early entry days because we are staying at a DLR hotel, correct?

Yes, that's correct. All onsite guests can take advantage of the Magic Mornings. (For the dates of your trip, your Magic Morning will be Tuesday, June 10.) As onsite guests, you just need to show your charge slip (given to you at check in) and ticket at the gates and you will be allowed in.

HTH :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter