First timer what should I know when I book?

teachmedis

Mouseketeer
I am going to book our first Disney cruise on the 21st when the 2023 cruises are released to the general public. What things should I have figured out by then? I know which cruise I want, and that is about it. Thank you!

Very exciting! Lots to consider, but once you know which cruise and sailing date, you'll want to review cabin options. Do you want a veranda, or is a "oceanview" window? Or, is an interior room just fine? Its personal preference and budget.

Then think about where you think you'll spend the most time (kids clubs? Or adult spaces?) That may help you decide which deck(s) you'd like your stateroom to be on.

If you have an early or late dining preference, you'll want to decide that. You can also add transfers from the airport to port, insurance, etc. But you can add those later if you like.

Enjoy the planning! We usually do some port/excursion research too (after booking) for when you book excursions later (after your paid in full date.)

Don't make it too complicated.

There are so many different ways to vacation on a cruise and everyone has different preferences. Only by doing you will know for sure what works for you.

Go for the most educated guess you can make. Don't overthink it.

Once you know when you want to sail and where you want to go:
  1. Get your budget set
  2. Determine what type of stateroom you want ($$$) and where, on the ship, you want your stateroom to be located
  3. What time do you want to eat
That's pretty much it for booking.

Before we booked our summer 2022 cruise we talked to Disney for some advise. The CM we talked to advised us to book our cruise directly online if we knew what we wanted instead of waiting until our TA could book it. You have 30 days to transfer your booking to a TA. They also advised us that the website opens early for booking. We went on at 4 am (mountain time) and were able to book right away.

Before we booked our summer 2022 cruise we talked to Disney for some advise. The CM we talked to advised us to book our cruise directly online if we knew what we wanted instead of waiting until our TA could book it.

Of course, Disney will tell you to book directly through their website. You just save them 5%-%10 commission. That could be $500 or more that you left on the table! Disney was happy to add that amount to their profits. Disney pays a much smaller commission on TA transfers which may never occur.

Know the game! Of course, the rules may change someday, like it did for airline tickets.

-Paul

We use Costco to get the cash card back. So it is the same % whether we book through Costco or book on the Disney website and then transfer it within the 30 days.

We will book ourselves, as we do with disney world trips. I believe myself to be my own best advocate, I used a TA once and found it laborious. I'm sure there are better agents than what I used, but if I'm going to tell someone to do something, I might as well do it myself. I appreciate the tip though, I always value money saving options.

We will book ourselves, as we do with disney world trips. I believe myself to be my own best advocate, I used a TA once and found it laborious. I'm sure there are better agents than what I used, but if I'm going to tell someone to do something, I might as well do it myself. I appreciate the tip though, I always value money saving options.

I get that. I often feel the same way. But the TA does have a few benefits. They get a commission from Disney and they usually share part of that commission as onboard credits or other gifts. Also, if you need to make a change or if you have a special request, they'll call DCL and wait 1-3 hours on hold so that you don't have to. That alone is worth it!

I'm usually a do it yourself-er, but our cruise was less expensive through Costco and we will get a $120 Costco card on top of that, so it was a pretty simple choice.

I am going to book our first Disney cruise on the 21st when the 2023 cruises are released to the general public. What things should I have figured out by then? I know which cruise I want, and that is about it. Thank you!
The big thing to remember is the importance of booking a placeholder while you're onboard. Even if you're not sure you will cruise again, book one, as they're refundable, and 10% off of a Disney cruise is a significant savings.

The big thing to remember is the importance of booking a placeholder while you're onboard. Even if you're not sure you will cruise again, book one, as they're refundable, and 10% off of a Disney cruise is a significant savings.
Thank you that is a big savings. I think this may be a 1 and done. But I'm certainly open to going again if the family enjoys it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter