First timer - last minute cruise (maybe)

MickeyWaffles

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

We are WDW (and sometimes Disneyland) people and have never done a Disney cruise. We have airline miles (so we can fly free) and are debating booking a Halloween cruise for a few weeks from now.

Since this is so last minute, will I have trouble booking dining? Character meet and greets? I don’t really know how it works and honestly have never researched Disney cruises much. We have wanted to do one but always are planning our next parks trip. We are itching for a Disney fix and the kids are off school for a long weekend so this would be perfect.

Are there any reasons why you wouldn’t book a last minute Disney cruise?

For the main dining room rotation you will likely be late dining. If you want early dining: you can ask Disney to put you on a waitlist for early dining if you wish. Also, keep checking as early dining may become available. Also, when you get on board the personal navigator will have instructions for where to go to make dining changes, go to that session and they may be able to change you to early dining.

For the upcharge adult restaurants, they may be booked. However, the navigator will give information on where to go on board to see if there are reservations available. They hold some back for booking on the first day of the cruise.

For character meet and greets the only ones that need reservations are Frozen and the Princesses. The rest are first come first served. Again, the navigator will have info on where to go the first day to see about getting a reservation for frozen and the princesses [if you didn't already get one through online booking of activities] as they hold some back; it is usually the port adventure desk.

The ticketed princess meet is when they have 4 or 5 princesses in one area and you see them all then. They will have individual meets at other times that don't require tickets, so you would still be able to see them. The Frozen one is only done with a ticket. You will have a wonderful time, even if you don't get tickets to some of the stuff, there's still so much to do.

You will see the characters all over the place for photos. Only those two groups (Princesses in a group as well as Frozen characters) require tickets.

We booked last minute and it showed only late dining available. We were switched shortly after. Just had to waitlist it. As others have said, go directly to the place the navigator tells you to make changes.

It’s so much fun. And last minute, you can keep an eye for any hurricanes lurking around if you’re going soon. Have fun!!!

We booked at 69 days out from our cruise for our first time. The only thing I personally wish we could book but will just wait until we are onboard to possibly grab is Brunch at Palo.

Watching a bunch of Vlogs I don't think its the end of the world to miss a character breakfast or princess meet+greet simply because there seems to be so many times to meet a variety of characters. Not to mention again you might get lucky and get a last second ticket when on board.

The main reason not to book last-minute DCL cruises is that unless you booked a GT or other last-minute discount, the cruise probably costs more than if you booked it far in advance. If you're doing a port-focused cruise, like to Alaska or Europe, then you might want more advance time to plan several excursions. And some people (mostly families with young kids) have a set-in-stone insistence on getting the first seating dining time, so they can have an early dinner each night, and first seating is often unavailable close to sail date. If you want to participate in a fish extender group, those usually finalize their members several weeks before sailing, so you might be shut out of that.

Beyond that, last minute cruises are great! There is less waiting for the cruise! Dining is available to everyone onboard, so no need to make reservations, and most activities onboard and on Castaway Cay are first come, first served.

Last edited:

Just booked it! I’m really excited about it because we weren’t planning this at all ... and now it’s just a few weeks away! Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions and knowledge.

We did get the late seating. While its not preferred, with the time change I think my kids will do ok. We will make it work! They adapt to different schedules pretty well at WDW so hoping for the same here.

Yay!!

Yeah!!! So excited for you! If you do want early dining, call in and put in a request. You just never know!!!

Have fun!

Thanks again, everyone! We waitlisted early dining as many of you suggested and it already came through today. I’m shocked, I really wasn’t expecting that having booked so late. Hooray!

Thanks again, everyone! We waitlisted early dining as many of you suggested and it already came through today. I’m shocked, I really wasn’t expecting that having booked so late. Hooray!
So happy for you. You’ll have a great time. We just got off of ours. We were able to get the meet and greet tickets just by going to guest services on embarkation. You’ll have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter