First timer - advice on staying in park

firefox86

Earning My Ears
I've been to Disney once, about 30 years ago. My husband and daughter never have been. We're planning a trip at the end of May and I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the lodging choices. Kind of thinking we should splurge and stay in park since we've never been so it's a pretty special experience. Having a hard time swallowing that it's double the price, PLUS no free breakfast, no free parking, etc. Sounds like the Grand California is the one that would give us the best experience in terms of being closest to the park and being able to enter directly from the hotel (and much shorter walk than disneyland hotel or paradise pier); however, GC will be under construction at that time so the pool will be closed. Not sure if we'd have time to utilize or not but sort of feel like, for the price, I'd like it to be an option. Can you give me the scoop on the three? I like the sound of disneyland hotel in terms of the decor but my understanding is we'd have to walk through downtown disney to get there and wouldn't have a separate entrance to the park, is that right?

Any other lodging advice?

The GCH entrance is usually so backed up in the morning it's worth walking around to the main entrance. And it's only to DCA, so there's no reason to use it if you're going to DL. The main benefit to staying on site is MM/EMH access every day. In terms of walking distance, there are places on Harbor that are closer than DLH and PPH. Some of them probably have rooms that are closer than the farthest rooms at GCH. You have to decide what's important to you. If it's a private entrance and not walking through DTD, then I assume walking on Harbor is also out, your choice is really only spending the money for GCH. If you're willing to drive you can likely find something a little farther away that will make up for the $20 parking fee. There are also so places by the convention center that you could walk to the Toy Story lot from, and take that shuttle. Those hotels have parking fees one par with or more than the Disney owned hotels. But most of the places on Habor within walking distance have some sort of parking fee now. Hojo is the only one I can think of that doesn't, but that's going to be the same distance was walking through DTD, but on a city streets.

I agree with SMD.

Also, this sticky thread contains a ton of very useful information. --> https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...iews-hydroguys-tips-newbie-info-here.1072276/ I highly recommending it for anyone going to DL for the first time or for anyone who hasn't visited in a pretty long time.

here are my personal thoughts on the 3 "on site" hotels:

Paradise Pier Hotel:
  • cheapest of 'on site' hotels
  • pool is on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the hotel
  • Since they changed the security screening areas in Dec 2016, the downside to staying here is that you can no longer cut through the GCH on your walk TO the parks. You are required to enter DTD near ESPN Zone. This makes the morning walk longer. Big negative for our family.
  • access to use EMH (Extra Magic Hour) on every day of your stay.
  • largest hotel rooms of the 3, decorated in a beach theme
Disneyland Hotel:
  • lots of guests say that the DLH has the most "Disney magic" of the 3 hotels.
  • pool is way better than PPH
  • Trader Sam's tiki bar is here
  • Goofy sometimes greets guests in the lobby
  • not as far to walk as PPH, but you still have to enter DTD through the ESPN Zone security screening area and walk through DTD to the park gates. Other option is to use the monorail, which will take you to Tomorrowland station
  • rooms are really classy. Head boards on the beds light up and play a song. The head boads are really really cool.
Grand Californian Hotel:
  • smallest rooms of the 3 hotels
  • but closest to the parks. Avg price/night usually reflects this, but lately DLH hotel rates are almost the same as GCH rates. I think that's because of the GCH renovations & how the GCH pool is under renovation, too.
  • while it's the closest hotel to the parks, some of the rooms can be a REAAAAALLLLYY long walk from the lobby & elevators.
  • some people don't care for the rooms very much because the room feels dark and smaller. Not sure if this applies to the rooms post-renovation.
  • Direct entrance to DCA from the GCH that only PPH, DLH, or GCH hotel guests can use until 11am. BUT that entrance tends to get really backed up in the morning, so you're better off walking to the Esplanade and entering at the main gate with everybody else....ESPECIALLY if your goal is to ride Radiator Springs Racers first thing during EMH.
  • pool has cool water slides...well, it did before the renovation. No idea what it will look like when they're done!
  • Mandara Spa is on site
  • Pinocchio child care is here for children 3-12. Must be potty trained and out of diapers. PPH & DLH guests can use Pinocchio's Workshop. You have to make a reservation, though. $15/hour per child.
  • Best hotel lobby of the 3. The hotel's name starts with "Grand" for a reason. Seriously. I love the lobby of this hotel. BUT they're renovating the lobby starting in June (when we will be there).
  • decorated in Craftsman style.
  • location can't be beat!
To stay on site or off site:
I've often debated this myself when we are planning a DL vacation. Our family has done both.

Here are some "pro's" to staying OFF site:
  1. lodging is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE!
  2. this gives you more disposable income to do special stuff on your trip. For example, maybe a dining package like for World of Color or Main Street Electrical Parade. Or a character meal or 2. Or a World of Color Dessert Party, where you pay ~$70/person (less per person for kids) and you get a place to sit down, a couple of alcoholic beverages, and a ton of desserts to enjoy while you watch World of Color.
  3. It could also result in you being able to stay at DL for an extra day or 2.
  4. It still feels like a "Disney bubble" because basically EVERYBODY staying at 1 of the hotels along Harbor Blvd is there because they're going to DL.
  5. parking is less expensive. Or entirely free if you stay at Hojo's. Lots of DIS Boards people love Hojo's for the customer service...and you can park in their parking lot ALL DAY on the day of your check out. Most of the other hotels along Harbor Blvd require you move your car by a certain time on check out day.
  6. if you compare price of off site hotel vs on site hotel, you could usually end up staying twice as many nights at an off site hotel for what it would cost at an on site hotel, especially if you're comparing it to GCH or PPH.
  7. not all off site hotels are equal, though. The new Marriott Courtyard that's on Harbor Blvd between Fairfield Inn and Howard Johnson's (Hojo's) is the newest, but most expensive of the off site hotels on Harbor Blvd.
  8. prices can get even cheaper if you venture away from Harbor Blvd. But then you have to factor in either driving to the Toy Story lot or Mickey & Friends parking structure (and paying $20/day to park, on top of hotel parking) or taking an ART bus (http://rideart.org/). Or staying at a hotel that has its own dedicated Disneyland shuttle (like Candy Cane Inn).
Some "pro's" to staying ON site:
  1. can use EMH (Extra Magic Hour). But this is only a plus if you & your family will actually get up and USE the EMH. On days when regular park opening is at 8am, EMH starts at 7am. So if that doesn't quite float your boat, then staying on site might not be quite as worth it.
  2. you can use the package delivery service to have anything you buy inside the parks delivered to your hotel.
  3. You can also order special "room celebrations" for special occasions and they'll set up the celebration you've ordered in your room. This stuff is expensive, though.
  4. DL now holds a certain amount of dining reservations for their hotel guests, so if you're having a hard time getting a reservation for a certain restaurant, this can help. However, booking dining reservations really isn't a huge problem like it can be for a WDW vacation.
  5. There's really something special about staying in the Disneyland Hotel. Really.

Last edited:
Staying on site at DL is really not necessary in order to have a wonderful and magical time. You can have JUST as wonderful a time staying some place along Harbor Blvd! The high cost of staying at GCH or DLH has often prevented us from staying there.

So if you're going to stay somewhere OFF site and you want something CLOSE, then THE closest one aside from the GCH would be Best Western Park Place Inn. It's right at the cross walk. Here's a picture. On the top of this map is the new Marriott Courtyard. The Fairfield Inn is just south of that. But just north of the new Marriott Courtyard (which is the L-shaped hotel on the top with a big pool-looking area below it) is Hojo's Anaheim (Howard Johnson).
BWPPI.PNG

Best Western Park Place Inn charges $11-12 to park per day. You have to move your car by 11am on check out day. Free hot breakfast is included. It has a pool, but it's not GCH, PPH, or DLH resort hotel type of pool. BUT it is the closest off site hotel with the shortest walk. Park Vue Inn is probably a close second.

Thank you so much for the incredibly helpful information. I'm rethinking staying on-site to be honest, I'm leaning toward the Fairfield Inn. I'm driving my husband crazy with the indecision lol. I think of the three I'd be leaning towards the Disneyland hotel, I love the thought of the light up headboards, but it was a great point about if normal open time is 8 am that means extra hour means being there at 7, hadn't thought that through! And we'll be there 3 days so I think we'll have plenty of time to do the things we want to do...

Staying on site is a personal preference. We never have stayed on site as I cannot justify the cost. But for us the hotel just needs to be clean and comfy as we only sleep, eat breakfast and get ready for the day in it. A pool and hot tub is a bonus. I like to put the money saved from staying off site to character dining, candy apples (yum!) and more cups for my collection!

Where ever you decide to stay you will have a magical time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter