First time to disneyworld should I bring my 20 month old?

The question you will have to answer is if leaving her will interfere with you enjoying the trip. For me it would; but all I know is Disney with my children. You likely have a Disney history without your baby. I also don't have a spouse so going on a kids free trip for me means packing up my children to stay with someone else.

I think it's great that you can leave her with her father and then she's left with you when he goes on a trip. It's true society looks at those things differently when they are the same. Partially because we (as a whole) don't give fathers enough credit and we (again as a whole) expect the world from moms.

For example, when I was married, we took my daughter on trips but every time we were asked why we didn't leave her with someone and people offered to keep her. Only traveled once a year though so didn't consider it. Since my husband died which was shortly after our 2nd child was born 9 years ago, no one has asked me about a child free trip or offered to keep them so I could take one. I'm pretty sure if I had died and my husband been left behind he'd have help coming from everywhere.

First, I’m sorry for your loss.

Second, you put that much better than I did. It seems to me that child rearing is still viewed 80/20 with moms having the most responsibility. But norms have changed so much so that 50/50 should really seem natural at this point.

I hope you and yours are doing well and you can get a trip to yourself if you so wish :)

Last edited:
The question you will have to answer is if leaving her will interfere with you enjoying the trip. For me it would; but all I know is Disney with my children. You likely have a Disney history without your baby. I also don't have a spouse so going on a kids free trip for me means packing up my children to stay with someone else.

I think it's great that you can leave her with her father and then she's left with you when he goes on a trip. It's true society looks at those things differently when they are the same. Partially because we (as a whole) don't give fathers enough credit and we (again as a whole) expect the world from moms.

For example, when I was married, we took my daughter on trips but every time we were asked why we didn't leave her with someone and people offered to keep her. Only traveled once a year though so didn't consider it. Since my husband died which was shortly after our 2nd child was born 9 years ago, no one has asked me about a child free trip or offered to keep them so I could take one. I'm pretty sure if I had died and my husband been left behind he'd have help coming from everywhere.

Hi,
First I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for the advice. I think I would miss her terribly if I didnt take her as I only have been away from her for one day and that was difficult but again everyone deserves a break (even moms) and often I know I don’t take them. It is true what you say about society and parenting roles. Ours are 50/50 and I still often get told how lucky I am that my husband is so involved but for us there was never another option as we both work out of the home. Yes, I’m grateful but I also expect his involvement because it is his daughter too. Also he is a teacher so I know he knows what is doing lol.

Thanks for all the tips all. I’ll plan the trip like I’m taking her and if I feel like I need the break I won’t no guilt. :)

I personally would take her with you. I've only been to Disneyland a few times, but Disney world is doable for us a few times a year. I have never left DS10 or DD1. DD1 will be on her sixth trip to WDW tomorrow! I will be honest, no way could I leave her for a full week. My DH goes on a hunting trip for 2 weeks every year, I don't know how he can stand to be away from the kids that long. If it were just a few days, I would do it.....but 20 months for a full week is quite a bit of time away. Will your parents be willing to ride swap with you, or are they unwilling to help if baby goes too? Maybe your DH would be willing to go with you all and you both can trade baby off between the two of you. Either way, have a great trip!

I personally would take her with you. I've only been to Disneyland a few times, but Disney world is doable for us a few times a year. I have never left DS10 or DD1. DD1 will be on her sixth trip to WDW tomorrow! I will be honest, no way could I leave her for a full week. My DH goes on a hunting trip for 2 weeks every year, I don't know how he can stand to be away from the kids that long. If it were just a few days, I would do it.....but 20 months for a full week is quite a bit of time away. Will your parents be willing to ride swap with you, or are they unwilling to help if baby goes too? Maybe your DH would be willing to go with you all and you both can trade baby off between the two of you. Either way, have a great trip!
I’m sure my parents would rider swap but unfortunately my hubby can’t go, he’s a teacher and school is in session. With the time away from her it is definitely a concern because I’ve only been away from her overnight for a day. I do have a mandatory work trip out of state which I’ll be gone for 5 days before the trip we will see how that goes...

My young parent reply would have been to take her no matter what.

My 22 years in parenting 4 kids reply is to leave her with your husband and enjoy your trip with your mom.

I wouldn’t feel guilty for leaving your child with her Dad. And I wouldn’t feel guilty for enjoying a nice trip without kids, even if it is Disney. Disney is for all ages, not just kids!

First, I’m sorry for your loss.

Second, you put that much better than I did. It seems to me that child rearing is still viewed 80/20 with moms having the most responsibility. But norms have changed so much so that 50/50 should really seem natural at this point.

I hope you and yours are doing well and you can get a trip to yourself if you so wish :)
This isn’t about child rearing. It’s about going on vacation without your child. My advice isn’t based on whether the dad is a responsible parent. It’s based on how I would feel leaving my baby/toddler behind to try to have fun at a family-centric place without her. Heck, my DD is 19 and we went on a WDW vacation without her in January and I missed her like crazy. Every college aged girl reminded me of her.

This isn’t about child rearing. It’s about going on vacation without your child. My advice isn’t based on whether the dad is a responsible parent. It’s based on how I would feel leaving my baby/toddler behind to try to have fun at a family-centric place without her. Heck, my DD is 19 and we went on a WDW vacation without her in January and I missed her like crazy. Every college aged girl reminded me of her.

It was a relevant tangent to the conversation. Once you have kids, you’re tied down and usually there’s no question about leaving them to go on vacation.

I was trying to present another point of view because she said she was feeling guilty considering the option. But you’re right. It’s about whatever she is comfortable with. I hope she has fun either way.

I’m sure my parents would rider swap but unfortunately my hubby can’t go, he’s a teacher and school is in session. With the time away from her it is definitely a concern because I’ve only been away from her overnight for a day. I do have a mandatory work trip out of state which I’ll be gone for 5 days before the trip we will see how that goes...

I'm sure it will go well, taking her or not. Your husband is capable of caring for her obviously given the day to day care he already provides. I lean towards taking her only because I've had an amazing time with my children at Disney every trip from 6 months and up. Everyone is different and what works for us may not for you!( And vice versa) You have to put it into perspective, if you do decide to go without her, she won't know where you are going and be upset as an older child would.....she also won't remember even 6 months later that you went away for the week. So, missing her, is pretty much the ' only' reason to take her....and make memories. She will be fine whatever you choose to do. The five day work trip will definitely help you to decide....either it will be an amazing relaxing ' get away' ( as much as work can be.) Or you won't be able to stop thinking about her....to where you can't relax. Have a good trip!!

We took 3 toddlers when they were about that age & it was a delightful trip! The biggest hassle was wrangling the strollers! They did nap in strollers most days but we also went back for ALL of us to rest in the afternoons, not just the babies!
We did try to keep them on their nighttime sleep schedules & We did use one of the sitter services one night for an adults only dinner.

I couldn’t emotionally handle being away from my baby for that long, and I would not be able to enjoy myself.

Obviously things come up that are out of our control, like work, hospitalizations, and other emergencies. But when it comes to situations within our control, you need to do what feels right for you. Nobody can tell you how you will feel.

I vote not to take her. Go enjoy yourself and have a break. You deserve some time for yourself. My kids were a few years older and my husband sent me on a 14 night Disney transatlantic cruise/ two days in the parks as a mother's day gift. My friend could not go but my husband convinced me to go by myself. Did I miss my family ? yes. But, I was nice to only have to think about myself. I decided what I wanted to eat, where and when. It was a great trip to recharge. Since then, I have done a few trips with just my mom, and another one with just my sister.

My husband would go on hunting and golf trips with his friends.

I'd take her just because she's still free...and 20 months is fun.

I've gone on kid free trips (for weddings), the first one was AWFUL. So I would not recommend the first extended time away from her be a Disney trip. The second trip, I won't lie...I almost forgot I had a kid.

Hopefully that work trip will help you flip the coin.

Same. As mentioned before, my son wouldn't even take naps before the trip and he HATED his stroller with a passion. Disney really wore him out though and he fell asleep without issue in the stroller and rarely got upset riding around in it since there was so much new and interesting stuff to look it. Granted, every kid is different, but I'd definitely recommend at least trying a stroller nap before going back to the resort. A lot of people on here say that they've tried going back to the hotel for naps and their kids fall asleep on the way there then won't sleep in the hotel.

If you’re staying in property take advantage of the extra magic hours early and late in the day. We would get the kids going by 7am and get to the parks by 8. With kid swap and fast pass planning, we got to do the adult rides and they only had to wait for one exchange. Then we’d take them to a kid friendly area. By mid-day they were worn out, the lines were all long, and it was parent time and relaxing at The resort.

MK & AK have pleanty of toddler friendly areas near most of all large attractions.

And don’t forget the shows - WDW is all about kids @ AK there’s the Lion King and Nemo which are fantastic - be prompt & get a good seat. Then there’s County Bear Jamboree and the jungle cruise and Toon Town is made for the little ones @ MK.

Have Fun

If you do take her, snap lots of photos! Also, I’m a HUGE proponent of going back to the resort to take a nap and a dip in the pool. I think it’s so important for young kids to have a break. You won’t be able to see everything anyway, just because the nature of having a young child slows you down. (Potty/diaper breaks, snack breaks, 4 times in a row on Its a Small World...😂)

Any advice and how your 1st disneyworld trip with a toddler went would help!

I definitely don't think 20 months is too young. We took DS for the first time at 18 months (we were visiting relatives in Florida, and just went to Magic Kingdom for the day) and he loved it! He napped in the stroller, and we were able to do plenty.

My tip is the baby care centers! Each park has one, and they are a calm spot if you need a break, stock items you may have forgotten, etc. -

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/baby-care-centers/

I think it completely depends on the child. We have brought our son with us when he was 11 months and 17 months. We also left him home once and went just the two of us. Honestly our son doesn't do great traveling. He didn't even seem to enjoy himself very much, he had trouble sleeping, etc. so we didn't feel too guilty leaving him home on our most recent trip! lol I vote go enjoy yourself and leave the baby home!

Hello All

I need some advice. I’m a Disneyland veteran and California native but I have never been to Disneyworld and it has been on my mom’s and my bucket list for years. Finally we are going in December, my mom, my step dad and myself for 1 week staying at the art of animation suites. The plan was originally to not bring my 20 month old however as we get closer to the trip I’m starting to feel guilty that I would be leaving her behind ( I’ve only been away from her for 1 day) but my parents think I’ll miss out on a lot because of her naps. I know we won’t be back to the World for a while but I’m torn. What do you all think? I’m planning to get season passes to Disneyland after the trip if possible so I know she will get to go there soon.

Any advice and how your 1st disneyworld trip with a toddler went would help!

Thank you
I took my DD when she was 19 months old two years ago and it was amazing. She slept in the stroller and we didn't miss out on anything - in fact it was our best trip to WDW yet!

Normally I would say - take the kid of course. (The mom in me). But in this case I think I would leave her at home.

1. She will be with the father and not some other friend/family member.
2. This trip was planned with your Mom and Step Dad as an adults trip. Adding in the child now changes the dynamics of the entire trip. I know you will miss her ( I miss my teens when gone) but she will be with Dad and you will have her when he goes on his trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter