First time on Magic

Ngambill

Earning My Ears
We just booked a trip on the Magic. We have sailed the Fantasy and Dream before, but never one of the smaller ships. What is your favorite thing about the smaller ships (other than that its smaller)? Any tips or advice for the Magic in particular?

Well, my favorite thing IS that it's smaller. The dining rooms don't seem so loud, you don't have to walk an acre and a half to get to the drink station, etc. I like the pools better on the classics, too.

The only thing we liked better about the magic was rapunzel’s dinner show and how the dining room was decorated with the hanging lanterns. We like the fantasy for everything else.

Before the Magic got an update, I would have said she felt older and more dated than the new ships. She still does, a little, but not nearly as much. Aquadunk is a more terrifying experience than the Aquaduck since they drop you into the slide.

The pools on the older ships are WAY better, at least for the adults-only areas. You can actually swim laps in them. Good luck trying that on the Fantasy lol.

I prefer the smaller size, especially at disembarkation. The staterooms are slightly larger (a little wider). I prefer the Cove Cafe setup; it feels a bit more private and like a retreat whereas on the Fantasy, it's more like just an enclosed pool bar. I like Palo better on the Magic; food is not really different, I just like the layout and decor a bit better. I prefer the Promenade Lounge on the Magic; I'm not sure there's quite the equivalent on the Fantasy. We like the piano bar on the Magic better. I prefer having the adult-only hot tubs closer to the pool on the Magic, although I like the pool itself better on the Fantasy. I prefer the gym on the Magic - both the location and layout. I used to prefer the buffet restaurant on the Magic over Cabanas on the Dream/Fantasy though I haven't sailed on her since they turned it into Cabanas.

There's plenty of things I prefer about the Dream class ships over the classics but in general, we still prefer the Magic over the others.

I loved the Magic, though perhaps I've now got a soft spot for it having sailed 13 nights across the atlantic. But I do really like the smaller size of it, it's so easy to navigate and get around. I also loved Rapunzels. My kids had a great time in the kid pool areas, even without the Aquaduck. Funny enough the only space I didn't really love was the Promenade Lounge b/c it's just an odd shape, long and skinny.

I like the adult pool areas better on the smaller ships. I have only sailed the Magic and the Dream.

And I guess less people.

We’ve sailed the Fantasy, Wonder & Magic (just last summer). Hands down best service & food in the MDR on the Magic. It was substantially better.

The worst time on the Magic is a Very Merrytime cruise. It is packed - standing room (or sitting on the floor) only for activities in the lounges. For the parties (Winter Wonderland, etc.) the atrium is a can of sardines - worse than the people soup pools, if that's possible. In general, we like the larger ships. I don't like Aquadunk and I missed Mid Ship Detective Agency.

We love the Magic. It's so much nicer because there are fewer people, so really no lines to disembark at ports, and much shorter lines at dinner time, etc. Rapunzel's is really fun, with a few of the thugs even greeting people before they enter the restaurant. And the thug takeover of Mc Gill's Pub, turning it into the Snuggly Duckling for the evening, was lots of fun.

I have never sailed on the Magic before, but we are booked on a summer cruise to Northern Europe in 2020. We have previously sailed on the Dream. My kids loved the Muppet Detective Agency and I was worried they don't have anything like that on the Magic.

However, I am excited about the smaller size of the ship. Hopefully, that also means shorter lines for the characters, food, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter