First time on a cruise period! What are your tips?

Another curious question if anyone knows the answer: the people taking me are in the Castaway Club as this is their second cruise. My understanding is that CC members get some form of early boarding. Would I be grandfathered into that or will I have to board separately since it is my first cruise?

Only Platinum (11+ cruises on Disney) get priority boarding (unless they are splurging for concierge). Everyone else is after that regardless of Castaway Club status.

But in terms of booking activities, etc. as long as you are in the cabin with them and not in a cabin by yourself, you would qualify for the Silver booking window of 90 days out. If they got you your own cabin, then your booking window would be 75 days out.

Curious question, why do so many people swear by taking a lanyard? I can bring one without a problem, but I carry my wallet everywhere, so what benefit would this bring over keeping it in my wallet?

I've not yet been on a Disney cruise and perhaps it's different on a ship as another poster mentioned since the other cards and cash aren't needed, but I think it's a matter of what you're used to. I've carried a wallet in my pocket for decades and it's no inconvenience to me to pull it out to pay for something, even if my hands are full. I know if I didn't have my wallet there, I'd have a mini panic attack thinking I've lost it before realizing that I'm purposefully not carrying it around.

I've not yet been on a Disney cruise and perhaps it's different on a ship as another poster mentioned since the other cards and cash aren't needed, but I think it's a matter of what you're used to. I've carried a wallet in my pocket for decades and it's no inconvenience to me to pull it out to pay for something, even if my hands are full. I know if I didn't have my wallet there, I'd have a mini panic attack thinking I've lost it before realizing that I'm purposefully not carrying it around.

Yep, that's kinda what my thought is. I carry my wallet 24/7 and I have a really nice slim wallet from Distil Union that isn't bulky and is super light and easy to store everywhere. I'm inclined to just store my KTTW card there because it's super easy to get cards in and out and would be one less thing to carry around.

Considering a lot of clothes made for women don’t have pockets or, when they do, don’t have deep pockets, carrying around a wallet just isn’t practical. But I would bring the lanyard anyway and see what works for you.

Is your friend also 17? If so, you will both be able to attend teen club functions. My teens loved them and met lots of other teens that they have stayed friends with through the years (attended each others wedding, etc.) If you plan on going, be sure to attend the first night when they have ice breakers and friend groups start forming.

Also, I second the idea of dressing nicely for dinner --- I would wear sun dress or nice pants and nice top (not shorts and tee) every night and something nicer (maybe that prom dress or a dress you would wear to church for formal and semi-formal nights. Just makes the occasion much more special and lets your hosts know you appreciate that this is a big deal.

Know going in that you will NOT be able to do everything that you would like to. Pick a few things to focus on that you really want to do, and let the rest go. You can have a very unrelaxing vacation on a Disney Cruise with so many activities to choose from. Have an amazing cruise!

Curious question, why do so many people swear by taking a lanyard? I can bring one without a problem, but I carry my wallet everywhere, so what benefit would this bring over keeping it in my wallet?

Another thing to note is the ship is "cashless" and your KTTW card will indicate your age so you won't need your wallet at any time while onboard. We keep ours in the safe and then just take them out for port excursions. We only take our driver's licenses out of our wallets for Castaway Cay because you need ID to reboard the ship.

Another curious question if anyone knows the answer: the people taking me are in the Castaway Club as this is their second cruise. My understanding is that CC members get some form of early boarding. Would I be grandfathered into that or will I have to board separately since it is my first cruise?

As mentioned earlier, only Platinum CC members have priority boarding. But, I wanted to add that you will be able to board with your friends (no matter what their level or boarding number) because you are all in the same cabin.

Have a great cruise! :)

I don't know if you'll be paying for some things on your own, but if you'd like to, you can use Disney Gift Cards. And, if your mom or dad has a Target Red Card, there is (unless that's changed) a 5% discount on purchasing the gift cards with the Red card. A little bonus.

You don't "need" a lanyard, but pop one in your suitcase in case you "want" a lanyard. Or you can buy them on the ship for $15+.

Is your friend also 17? If so, you will both be able to attend teen club functions. My teens loved them and met lots of other teens that they have stayed friends with through the years (attended each others wedding, etc.) If you plan on going, be sure to attend the first night when they have ice breakers and friend groups start forming.

Also, I second the idea of dressing nicely for dinner --- I would wear sun dress or nice pants and nice top (not shorts and tee) every night and something nicer (maybe that prom dress or a dress you would wear to church for formal and semi-formal nights. Just makes the occasion much more special and lets your hosts know you appreciate that this is a big deal.

Yep, my friend is also 17 and graduating, so I'll be excited to explore that!

Random side note.. I don't know why two people have assumed I'm a girl. I'm a guy, so I definitely won't wear a prom dress but I get what you guys mean about the attire haha

I don't know if you'll be paying for some things on your own, but if you'd like to, you can use Disney Gift Cards. And, if your mom or dad has a Target Red Card, there is (unless that's changed) a 5% discount on purchasing the gift cards with the Red card. A little bonus.

You don't "need" a lanyard, but pop one in your suitcase in case you "want" a lanyard. Or you can buy them on the ship for $15+.

Good idea on the gift cards! Sometimes PayPal runs sales on gift cards as well, so I'll be on the look out for that. Costco also runs gift card sales occasionally, and we have the higher membership that gives you 2% cash back on top of the sale price

1st time cruisers don't receive a lanyard.

Yep. And in my experience, even when cruising with someone who has - and being in concierge (my dad booked us in there for a 3-night - it was my sister's 4th or 5th DCL cruise as a paying passenger but my parents' and my first DCL and she got a lanyard but we did not). Some people have reported being given one up to the highest status in the cabin, but it's not supposed to happen, so I would never count on it.

Sorry about some of us thinking you are a girl! Alternate advice: my teen son wore polo and khakis to most dinners except formal and semi-formal he wore button up dress shirt and sometimes a tie or blazer....dressing in general got a bit more casual through the years. But, you should ask your friend what he and father will be wearing because some families still dress up (suit) on those night and you want to be respectful of their wishes. You will probably wear these for 1 1/2 hours during dinner then change to casual for teen club activities so 3 polos and 1 dress shirt will be enough.

Good idea on the gift cards! Sometimes PayPal runs sales on gift cards as well, so I'll be on the look out for that. Costco also runs gift card sales occasionally, and we have the higher membership that gives you 2% cash back on top of the sale price
Costco doesn’t have Disney GCs unfortunately. But Sam’s Club does, if you know anyone who has a membership there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter