First time on a cruise period! What are your tips?

craylortech

Earning My Ears
I got an invite to come along on a Disney Cruise as an amazing graduation gift. It's a 7-day cruise to BVI, USVI, and Castaway Cay on the Disney Fantasy. I've never been on any cruise before, so I'm seeking tips and knowledge from anyone who's been on one before.

This could very well be a once in a lifetime thing, so I want to make sure I'm able to enjoy it as much as possible!

Here's what I've learned so far:
- Power strips are a no-go, so bring a USB splitter
- Have a plan for seasickness and have medicine ready, especially since I really haven't been on many boats and don't know what to expect
- Sit down restaurants are open for breakfast and lunch too even though they don't really want you to know that
- I've already downloaded the Disney Navigator app so I'm all ready to go there

I've also chosen to go with Verizon's TravelPass option to have cell service on the islands. I know the ship has WiFi but it's very expensive and I'd really like to disconnect for part of the cruise and go wifi free for part of it.

I'm ready for your knowledge and tips - go for it!

Take a lanyard with a card holder pouch for your Key to the World Card. That is your room key, ship ID, and charge card as the ship doesn't take cash.

Take some cash to use for tips for room service and porters. You can prepay your gratuities before your cruise, or you can pay at guest services on the boat. Your gratuities are for your room host and dining team. However, if you order room service, you can pay a cash tip when they deliver your tray. And then cash for the porters who take your bags at the port.

Take a sports bottle to keep drinks filled. The drink station is open 24 hours, but they only give you small cups. We take big 32 oz bottles for each of us and fill them up.

Remember to take a day bag for your embarkation day. You will want to keep your swim suit, any medications, sunscreen, travel documents, and anything else you may need for the day, as your luggage won't be delivered to your room until later that first evening.

Also at the restaurants, you can order as much as you want, including multiple dishes! Take advantage of that because the food is delicious and it's really hard to choose just one thing!

You are going to LOVE your Disney cruise!!!!!!!!

• The soda is free next to the pool and in the dining rooms.
  • You won't be able to do it all so don't try and rush to everything.
  • Check the daily navigator to see what's going on and what interests you. To check this on the app you don't need to use internet. You turn your phone onto airplane mode and then turn on the wifi and can use it for free. They also have a paper version, although I've heard they are no longer providing these in the room, but you can pick it up at guest services.
  • If you do excursions or explore the islands on your own, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. The ship will not wait for you if you are late. I try to aim at returning an hour before the ship leaves to give plenty of time.
  • Castaway Cay is really beautiful, go to the adult only portion Serenity Bay for a really relaxing beach experience
  • I always like to try new food when on a ship. It's a good place to experiment since if you don't like it you can just order something else and don't have to worry about paying for a meal you aren't eating. It's where I tried escargot for the first time, which is delicious.

Enjoy your cruise you'll have a great time!

Serenity Bay is 18+. Since the OP did not specify what kind of graduation was being celebrated, if it is HS, there is a possibility that some in the party may not be 18 yet (summer birthdays) and any only 17 would not be allowed in the 18+ areas. (And yes, they will card people.)

Have fun! Most cellular services are free in the USVI, since it's an American territory.
There's usually a walking tour you can join in on embarkation day - this can help you orient to the ship (it's HUGE).
There is a formal night on a 7-night cruise, but it's optional - you don't have to dress up if you don't want to.
You can buy one-day Rainforest Room passes, but only in advance (can't purchase on the ship. On the ship, you have to purchase "length of cruise" passes.)
There was a great post recently about doing the Baths on your own; I'll try to find it and link it here. ETA: Here was that post.

Take a lanyard with a card holder pouch for your Key to the World Card. That is your room key, ship ID, and charge card as the ship doesn't take cash.

Take some cash to use for tips for room service and porters. You can prepay your gratuities before your cruise, or you can pay at guest services on the boat. Your gratuities are for your room host and dining team. However, if you order room service, you can pay a cash tip when they deliver your tray. And then cash for the porters who take your bags at the port.

Take a sports bottle to keep drinks filled. The drink station is open 24 hours, but they only give you small cups. We take big 32 oz bottles for each of us and fill them up.

Remember to take a day bag for your embarkation day. You will want to keep your swim suit, any medications, sunscreen, travel documents, and anything else you may need for the day, as your luggage won't be delivered to your room until later that first evening.

Also at the restaurants, you can order as much as you want, including multiple dishes! Take advantage of that because the food is delicious and it's really hard to choose just one thing!

Thanks so much for all the information! I'm so looking forward to all the food and activities! Do you know if the ship takes a debit card? Since I'm traveling with friends, they booked the cruise and I'd rather not have it charged to their room and have to pay them back unless I have to.

Serenity Bay is 18+. Since the OP did not specify what kind of graduation was being celebrated, if it is HS, there is a possibility that some in the party may not be 18 yet (summer birthdays) and any only 17 would not be allowed in the 18+ areas. (And yes, they will card people.)

Good thinking, I am a minor (and will barely still be one at the time of the cruise)! I look way older than I am, so I could totally get away with it (trust me, I've been offered drinks before), but I want to be respectful of their rules.

Thanks so much for all the information! I'm so looking forward to all the food and activities! Do you know if the ship takes a debit card? Since I'm traveling with friends, they booked the cruise and I'd rather not have it charged to their room and have to pay them back unless I have to.

I'm honestly not sure how that works if you are staying in someone's room. They would have to be the ones to grant you charging privileges to their account. Does anyone else know how someone staying in a room with someone else that booked the trip can have their own charge account?

Good thinking, I am a minor (and will barely still be one at the time of the cruise)! I look way older than I am, so I could totally get away with it (trust me, I've been offered drinks before), but I want to be respectful of their rules.

Your KTTW card will state if you are a minor or adult

Have fun! Most cellular services are free in the USVI, since it's an American territory.
There's usually a walking tour you can join in on embarkation day - this can help you orient to the ship (it's HUGE).
There is a formal night on a 7-night cruise, but it's optional - you don't have to dress up if you don't want to.
You can buy one-day Rainforest Room passes, but only in advance (can't purchase on the ship. On the ship, you have to purchase "length of cruise" passes.)
There was a great post recently about doing the Baths on your own; I'll try to find it and link it here. ETA: Here was that post.

Speaking of formal night, do you know how dressed up people typically are? I've heard mixed stories ranging from "it's totally casual, you can wear shorts and a t-shirt" to "I was way under dressed, everyone had dress shirts on and I felt silly!"

Speaking of formal night, do you know how dressed up people typically are? I've heard mixed stories ranging from "it's totally casual, you can wear shorts and a t-shirt" to "I was way under dressed, everyone had dress shirts on and I felt silly!"
You are correct, it swings from cruise casual to tux and gown. I enjoy once a year dressing up for dinner. Mine is a little black dress, pumps and jewelry. You can get a second use out of that prom dress !!!

As @Disney_Life84 said, your KTTW card will state that you are a minor. And they will check all in the group if one looks younger. I have seen it happen. This is for the “On your Honor” places like the Adult areas on the ship, Serenity Bay, etc. You would not be able to book or be booked on anything like Palo Brunch or dinner - so that is something for your friend’s family to be aware of if they were planning to have a meal there (or Remy) as a celebration. You would not be allowed to attend.

In terms of paying, they will be able to assign financial responsibility to whomever they choose. They can leave yours as cash and you could add a card - or gift card - onto your account at Guest Services.

As @Disney_Life84 said, your KTTW card will state that you are a minor. And they will check all in the group if one looks younger. I have seen it happen. This is for the “On your Honor” places like the Adult areas on the ship, Serenity Bay, etc. You would not be able to book or be booked on anything like Palo Brunch or dinner - so that is something for your friend’s family to be aware of if they were planning to have a meal there (or Remy) as a celebration. You would not be allowed to attend.

In terms of paying, they will be able to assign financial responsibility to whomever they choose. They can leave yours as cash and you could add a card - or gift card - onto your account at Guest Services.

Gotcha. Like I said, I want to honor all rules Disney has anyway, so I wasn't going to try, but it's good to know that they are particular about that and don't assume you are 18+ if you look the part. Also, thanks for the info about the payment method, I'm really glad to hear that I can assign my own payment method so I don't have to deal with paying my friends back.

Curious question, why do so many people swear by taking a lanyard? I can bring one without a problem, but I carry my wallet everywhere, so what benefit would this bring over keeping it in my wallet?

Curious question, why do so many people swear by taking a lanyard? I can bring one without a problem, but I carry my wallet everywhere, so what benefit would this bring over keeping it in my wallet?

For me, the convenience of being able to just tap the lanyard with card in it vs digging in my pocket for my wallet for it and having to pull the card in and out. A minor thing, but it's what I prefer.

It's very nice to have just the lanyard and not have to worry about taking a bag or wallet everywhere you go. You don't need your driver's license for ID or cards for payment since your KTTW card is your ID, credit card, and room key all in one. You can certainly carry your wallet with you if you prefer, but I think you will find a lanyard is more convenient.

This is exactly how my BFF started cruising. My parents gifted me a cruise for my college graduation and paid 1/2 for BFF. (That one was on Carnival and so bad it took me 10 years to try it again. After 4 hours on Disney, I was addicted. That was 12 Disney Cruises ago....)

I won't add anything more specific here, as what everyone else has offered is great. The only 2 things I will add is to review (probably available at your library) the PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line book and to just read other peoples' trip reports on these Boards. If you're concerned about dress, over is always better than under! (I'm also one of those people who feel like jeans & shorts should be kept out of the main dining rooms....)

I presume the people you are going with already have all the documentation needed for you to go without your parents due to being a minor? It would be terrible to be turned away at the port!

I agree that for some people the lanyard isn’t necessary. I always have my phone with me anyway for photos so I use a case with a small wallet attached on a crossbody strap so I’m hands-free. I keep my KTTW card in the wallet part and was pleased to discover that I didn’t even need to take it out of the wallet for it to open my stateroom door. The one exception for me is getting on and off the ship—it’s easier to just swipe the lanyard if my phone is put away or I’m trying to juggle my phone, a bag, etc.

For people who don’t like to carry their phone or a wallet I can see why the lanyard would be preferred!

This is exactly how my BFF started cruising. My parents gifted me a cruise for my college graduation and paid 1/2 for BFF. (That one was on Carnival and so bad it took me 10 years to try it again. After 4 hours on Disney, I was addicted. That was 12 Disney Cruises ago....)

I won't add anything more specific here, as what everyone else has offered is great. The only 2 things I will add is to review (probably available at your library) the PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line book and to just read other peoples' trip reports on these Boards. If you're concerned about dress, over is always better than under! (I'm also one of those people who feel like jeans & shorts should be kept out of the main dining rooms....)

I presume the people you are going with already have all the documentation needed for you to go without your parents due to being a minor? It would be terrible to be turned away at the port!

Thanks for the info! I'll check the book out. And yes, they already have all of my documentation and to my understanding, everything is good to go.

Another curious question if anyone knows the answer: the people taking me are in the Castaway Club as this is their second cruise. My understanding is that CC members get some form of early boarding. Would I be grandfathered into that or will I have to board separately since it is my first cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter