First Time EVER Staying off Property (Scared)

We usually do split stays - though we're considering just off-site for our next Disney trip. Our split stays usually include Dolphin though, so on-site for location and perks but not a Disney hotel. Our issue is that there are 5 of us. Having 5 people makes it really hard to find a Disney hotel that's affordable. I looked up ASMu for our next stay and since we would need a suite, it was $288 a night! Um, no. I realize I looked it up without discounts but that's not going to make that number come down enough. Even Dolphin is currently $217 a night. (When we've found it for around $150 in the past but it looks like all rates have jumped since our last visit in 2014).

Even when we're on-site, we go off for dinner sometimes. We like having more food options. It's cheaper to eat off-site. Or, with kids, it's nice to have one parent go out and grab dinner and bring it back to the room if the kids need to relax.

We've discovered some places where we can get condo-like rooms for much less than Disney on-site. With 5 of us, it's really nice having a place with two bedrooms.

That being said, if an amazing PIN code arrives on my doorstep, we may end up with a split stay for our next trip. That's how we ended up at AKL several years ago. (That and my youngest wasn't yet 3, so we knew it was our last chance since we counted as 4 in the room).

Is 'off-site' just non-Disney or is it away from the area totally? I'll be staying on Disney property the night before the cruise but when I come back from the cruise, I'm going to Cabana Bay. I don't drive so it'll be with the Mears buses but my focus will be Univ. anyway. I think I'm set. I've been going to Disney parks for so long but this will be a totally new adventure - cruise, Univ. instead of Disney...

Is 'off-site' just non-Disney or is it away from the area totally? I'll be staying on Disney property the night before the cruise but when I come back from the cruise, I'm going to Cabana Bay. I don't drive so it'll be with the Mears buses but my focus will be Univ. anyway. I think I'm set. I've been going to Disney parks for so long but this will be a totally new adventure - cruise, Univ. instead of Disney...
I consider the Swan and Dolphin (and maybe Shades of Green) onsite, despite not being Disney-owned.

Everything else is offsite to me, including the DS Hotels, Four Seasons, and Bonnet Creek.

That's just me.

Swan/Dolphin still get the Disney perks of amazing transportation, EMH, and 60 day FP+ reservations so I still call them on-site but most non-Disney hotels would be considered off-site. It depends on the perks if they're not Disney owned. Cabana Bay would be considered on-site for Universal, not Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter