First time at the Fort and have a few questions

jlbridg2

Mouseketeer
We are renting an RV that will be delivered along with a golf cart to the Fort in late January. Usually we stay in a DVC villa and order groceries. In the villas they hold them at bell services and deliver to your room when you call down for them. Does anyone know how that works in the RVs? I've seen they put them in the cabins but haven't seen anything about RV delivery. If the best answer is to go do our own shopping we can do that I just want to make sure I leave time in the plan for that trip off property.

Any things we should not miss? We have 2 boys, ages 6&4. We usually do 5 nights at WDW but are doing 6 so we can do more at the Fort (including walking around and relaxing at the site) without feeling like we are missing our usual stuff.

We are staying in a Premium spot, any loops you recommend? We will have a golf cart so we can get around without having to use the internal buses much and will have a car to get around when leaving the resort.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these Fort newbies!

Most of us coming in with RV's have our food already in our trailers. Not sure how they do the deliveries at the Fort. I would plan on doing your own shopping, there are several places just off site.

Any of the premium loops are good, we like 1400 it is close to the campfire.

They will hold your groceries until you call for them. As far as which site it really depends on your preferences. Families with young children like to be near the Meadow. Some like to be far away from there as it tends to be quieter.

Go looking for the turkeys with your golf cart.

Teach the kids how to roast marshmallows at Chip & Dale's Campfire sing-along each night. Stay for the movie.

Take them down to the Horse Barn to see the horses that work Main Street and give the wagon/carriage rides at the Fort.

Enjoy a boat/monorail ride during mid-day. Take the small boat to Contemp or big boat to MK to start. Include the ride on the monorail to epcot (I did this yesterday). Just stay on the monorail at epcot and head back and resume.

At the Poly get a Dole Whip (Pineapple ice cream). On the ground floor of the lobby, go outside towards the lake and it's a small window immediately on the left. The only other flavor is vanilla.

There are activities for kids around the pool area every afternoon. Check the monthly recreation calendar you will get at checkin (has the movie schedule too).

Rent a canoe and paddle the Fort canals.

Chase the ducks near the Meadow TP pond.

Bama Ed

There are nice playgrounds throughout the Fort, one right by Crockett’s Tavern. My 6 year old loves to ride around in the golf cart and the boats - destination anywhere. He can spend hours digging in the sand at the beach while we relax on the beach lounge chairs. He also loves the pool games every afternoon and the splash area is perfect for their ages.

Thanks everyone! Glad to know they can hold the groceries. I really don't want to use up any of our time grocery shopping but with little kids and to make the camping experience more what we are used to the food is a must.

I'm excited about renting a canoe, I didn't know that was an option at the Fort. The marshmallows are always a must at any Disney resort and adding Chip 'n Dale will be great fun. We'll have to work a breakfast in at Trail's End, we've done dinner there before but hadn't thought about it for breakfast.

We’ve ordered from Garden Grocer twice. We were able to reserve a time frame for delivery, they not only delivered the groceries but also unpacked it all and placed all the frozen & refrigerated items in the freezer/frig. They were great. Only problem both times was we ordered way more food than we were able to eat or take home on the plane with us.

Also, take the one-mile walk (during the day) on the trail to Wilderness Lodge. It's old, wild Florida, and will give you even more opportunities to discover native trees, plants, and perhaps a bit of wildlife. Have your kids watch the geyser, and then have an afternoon snack on the lake at beautiful Geyser Point. Take the boat back over to the Fort.

All great pieces of advice, I'll add three...

1) As another who was a DVC vet coming into the Fort for the first time 2 years ago (although we were bringing in our own rig), I encourage you to continue to pay attention to those on this forum. They are well in the know and more than willing to help you make the most of your time. I actually had the chance to say a quick hello to @bama_ed when we were there and thanked him for his help as I planned our first Fort trip. His response was, 'Our job was to make Dad look good!' They did - so take advantage of the same.

2) Unlike DVC and other resorts, there are no towels at the pools - take your own from the camper.

3) Enjoy the change of scenery and pace. We were genuinely amazed at how you could be on WDW property but so much apart from the hustle and bustle of Disney. We had spent a cumulative total of about 2.5 months on Disney property prior to our first Fort trip and found it to be a completely different experience. We still enjoy the hotel stays, and will continue to use our DVC in the coming years. We will also, however, take advantage of the truly unique opportunity that is the Fort. Be open to doing Disney a little different, this time, and you will love it.

All in all - what was supposed to be a 'one-time' trek of hauling our camper 1,300 miles to the Fort has become a new normal, and we love it! So, have fun!

Hope the trip is going well and that you got your groceries fine. The Fort is a great place to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter