First Royal Caribbean cruise.

ChiefM

DIS Veteran
Our 2020 cruise last spring was cancelled with a different cruise line, like everyone else. We have been to Universal twice this year and my wife is not a big theme park person but didn't complain. My wife likes to cruise so I decided to book us one for next June on Independence of the Seas from Jun 20 — Jun 24, 2022. Hopefully this COVID stuff will be completely gone by then with no fear of this cruise getting cancelled. We have a 5 year old son so Coco Cay and the kids play area on the ship was a huge draw for us to book with RC.

Will RC offer a room upgrade as we get closer to the cruise date? We booked an interior room but I would like to upgrade and surprise the wife.

Our 2020 cruise last spring was cancelled with a different cruise line, like everyone else. We have been to Universal twice this year and my wife is not a big theme park person but didn't complain. My wife likes to cruise so I decided to book us one for next June on Independence of the Seas from Jun 20 — Jun 24, 2022. Hopefully this COVID stuff will be completely gone by then with no fear of this cruise getting cancelled. We have a 5 year old son so Coco Cay and the kids play area on the ship was a huge draw for us to book with RC.

Will RC offer a room upgrade as we get closer to the cruise date? We booked an interior room but I would like to upgrade and surprise the wife.

Did you book picking your cabin or did you book Inside Guaranty? If you went with the Guaranty there is a chance you will be upgraded but may just be a better location. I have done well with Guaranty but it's a risk I don't take anymore.

All of our RCI cruises we have never been upgraded, and our family that are very frequent cruisers, only the top members have occasionally been upgraded. Impossible no, but I would say unlikely.

I would book what I am happy with in your budget and not plan on anything else. Upgrades will likely go to RCL Crown & Anchor members at higher levels.

As you get closer to your cruise date (30 days before), you can « bet » on an upgrade. Which means you will tell them how much you’d be ready to pay for a certain upgrade.

It happens here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

I usually check how much more it would cost us to upgrade to other categories and then we offer about half that price.

Out of two cruises, it worked out once. We went from inside cabin to panoramic view (window going from the floor to the ceiling) for about 40$ (CAD) each, I think.

Until then, I would recommend to check prices once in a while as rates can change and some promos are better than other. You could actually get a better cabin for a low price difference.

Last edited:
As you get closer to your cruise date (30 days before), you can « bet » on an upgrade. Which means you will tell them how much you’d be ready to pay for a certain upgrade.

It happens here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

I usually check how much more it would cost us to upgrade to other categories and then we offer about half that price.

Out of two cruises, it worked out once. We went from inside cabin to panoramic view (window going from the floor to the ceiling) for about 40$ (CAD) each, I think.

Until then, I would recommend to check prices once in a while as rates can change and some promos are better than other. You could actually get a better cabin for a low price difference.

Apologies to the OP if this is what he meant ..... I thought he meant a FREE upgrade. 🤔

If he is willing to pay you gave him great info.

Since your question has been answered, I just wanted to add that since you are a year out, definitely watch the cruise planner prices for your cruise. Especially around holidays and double especially Black Friday. You may be able to find the waterpark tickets for around $40-$50 day/ Person. If you think your son would like the wave pool or lower slides depending on his height then? Also drink packages, dining, etc. Cruise planner items in general. We cruised with Disney 8 times before trying Royal and now we are nearing Diamond Members Status with Royal. We love their ships, with so much more to do and experience. If you have a good experience on your trip, I would encourage you to look at the Oasis Class. It will blow you little man's mind ( and wife's) the things available to do.

Apologies to the OP if this is what he meant ..... I thought he meant a FREE upgrade. 🤔

If he is willing to pay you gave him great info.

I thought OP maybe meant free upgrade as well … but I wanted to share that recommendation just in case they would be ready to invest a little bit more money to get a different cabin category. :)

Plus, with a recent promo, we went from inside cabin to Central Park view for a lower price than we originally had for the inside cabin. It’s worth watching prices as well.

Since your question has been answered, I just wanted to add that since you are a year out, definitely watch the cruise planner prices for your cruise. Especially around holidays and double especially Black Friday. You may be able to find the waterpark tickets for around $40-$50 day/ Person. If you think your son would like the wave pool or lower slides depending on his height then? Also drink packages, dining, etc. Cruise planner items in general. We cruised with Disney 8 times before trying Royal and now we are nearing Diamond Members Status with Royal. We love their ships, with so much more to do and experience. If you have a good experience on your trip, I would encourage you to look at the Oasis Class. It will blow you little man's mind ( and wife's) the things available to do.

Yes we have cancelled extras and rebooked them when they go on sale and even dropped price on overall cruise by checking in regularly.

So agree with the Oasis class. We went from Freedom to Oasis and will never look back. Last was Harmony, what a stunning ship with SO MUCH to do. But I like the cruise experience more than the port part.

I thought OP maybe meant free upgrade as well … but I wanted to share that recommendation just in case they would be ready to invest a little bit more money to get a different cabin category. :)

Plus, with a recent promo, we went from inside cabin to Central Park view for a lower price than we originally had for the inside cabin. It’s worth watching prices as well.

While we've never changed cabins as we are a group that specifically picks to be together with oversized balconies that connect .... we have gone back in to take advantage of sales and better promos often saving a tidy sum.

Thanks for all the info!!
Carnival would sent me an upgrade email, for $$ can upgrade to a bigger cabin. I was not sure if RC did this as well.

Harmony of the Seas is on the list as a must do. I did look at that ship but decided to depart out of Orlando so I can do a Disney day either before or after the cruise, can't miss out on the 50th celebration.

A Disney cruise is also a must do but the wife wants to wait till our son is a little older.

Thanks for all the info!!
Carnival would sent me an upgrade email, for $$ can upgrade to a bigger cabin. I was not sure if RC did this as well.

Harmony of the Seas is on the list as a must do. I did look at that ship but decided to depart out of Orlando so I can do a Disney day either before or after the cruise, can't miss out on the 50th celebration.

A Disney cruise is also a must do but the wife wants to wait till our son is a little older.
Yes with RCCL they send an email that is called RoyalUp. this is where you place your bid to upgrade to different levels of cabins. We have cruised the Harmony several times. I believe you would enjoy the ship. We like the Central Park Balcony. The Boardwalk balcony might really thrill your son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter