First Haircut

CouponGirl

DIS Veteran
I'd love to hear some people’s first hand experiences with the “baby’s first haircut” package at the Harmony Barbershop (and whether it’s a recent experience or from years ago... not sure if there would be any difference).

I’m mostly wondering if it was an actual haircut or if you left and felt you needed to go schedule another haircut once you got back home. I know that sounds silly, but for some babies they may only need a little snip here and there while others are blessed? :crazy: with a wild amount and need a true haircut. We would be doing it for the experience of having the first haircut at Disney, but don’t want to leave disappointed if we don’t have realistic expectations.

Also wondering if a photographer is there - I’ve heard different things and from my reading it seems that CMs don’t always have accurate info so even if they say one will be on hand that may not actually be the case.

Our experiences are based on about 6 years ago or so, but I would imagine things are pretty much the same. We never experienced having a photographer, but someone with more recent experience may chime in about that. Our more recent experience was with our youngest DD and she just got a little trimmed off the bottom, much more of an experience than haircut, but that is exactly what we requested. They save a little bit of the hair for the parents and the kiddos get a certificate and my first haircut ears. We did it with our youngest DS after his adoption and it was a first haircut in America(he was actually almost 3). The CM's thought it was lovely and we asked for him to get an actual haircut and he received one. It's a really cute experience and you basically get what you ask for haircut wise.

Our experiences are based on about 6 years ago or so, but I would imagine things are pretty much the same. We never experienced having a photographer, but someone with more recent experience may chime in about that. Our more recent experience was with our youngest DD and she just got a little trimmed off the bottom, much more of an experience than haircut, but that is exactly what we requested. They save a little bit of the hair for the parents and the kiddos get a certificate and my first haircut ears. We did it with our youngest DS after his adoption and it was a first haircut in America(he was actually almost 3). The CM's thought it was lovely and we asked for him to get an actual haircut and he received one. It's a really cute experience and you basically get what you ask for haircut wise.
Thanks! Glad to hear you can get what you request!

My son got his first haircut at the barber shop in Sept. 2017. He had just turned 1. We did it for the experience but he really was overdue for his first haircut and needed it.

It was very cute and I think one of the best deals for a special experience at WDW.

We got the first haircut ears, certificate, little snip of hair. They also put my 2 year old daughter up in the chair and pixie dusted her hair to make her feel special too.

No photographer but we got great photos on our own. They set up a pose with him wearing his first haircut ears - we took the photo from behind him so you could see the writing on the ears and and his face smiling in the mirror. Really cute.

They asked us what we wanted for the haircut - his hair was pretty uneven so we just asked for it to be cleaned up into a pretty standard boy cut. His next cut was at home a couple months later.

We had a great experience and I would recommend it.

My son got his first haircut at the barber shop in Sept. 2017. He had just turned 1. We did it for the experience but he really was overdue for his first haircut and needed it.

It was very cute and I think one of the best deals for a special experience at WDW.

We got the first haircut ears, certificate, little snip of hair. They also put my 2 year old daughter up in the chair and pixie dusted her hair to make her feel special too.

No photographer but we got great photos on our own. They set up a pose with him wearing his first haircut ears - we took the photo from behind him so you could see the writing on the ears and and his face smiling in the mirror. Really cute.

They asked us what we wanted for the haircut - his hair was pretty uneven so we just asked for it to be cleaned up into a pretty standard boy cut. His next cut was at home a couple months later.

We had a great experience and I would recommend it.
Thanks for sharing! That’s wonderful they made your daughter also feel special :) and I love that they set it up so you could get some cute photos!!

We did it in 4/2017 with our little guy, he was 7 months old and very much in need of a haircut. It was a great experience! I would have paid twice as much. He got a very good hair cut, they even used clippers on him. The ears were adorable. We went straight from there to meet mickey. There was no photographer there and fyi the place is really, really small. I would suggest a change of clothes because they did not use a cape. I highly recommend it!

We did it in 4/2017 with our little guy, he was 7 months old and very much in need of a haircut. It was a great experience! I would have paid twice as much. He got a very good hair cut, they even used clippers on him. The ears were adorable. We went straight from there to meet mickey. There was no photographer there and fyi the place is really, really small. I would suggest a change of clothes because they did not use a cape. I highly recommend it!
Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear it’s such a great experience!

Thanks for the tip about the change of clothes. I wouldn’t have even thought about that - or realized they wouldn’t use a cape.

I've done this with all 4 of my boys, most recently with 16 month old twins in June 2018. As others have said, you get snippets of their hair, a first haircut Mickey ears hat, and a certificate. They do real haircuts, my older boys always get their hair cut there also and they like the cuts better than the ones they get at home. My DH also occasionally gets his cut, but doing 5 haircuts takes a bit of time out of our day! They are good with kids, and will do them on the booster board, on a parents lap, or they even offered to do a sleeping kid in a stroller once but I didn't do that. They give them lots of Mickey Stickers and one of the light up twirling toys, and while I've had a few problems with subsequent haircuts with one of my kids they all did from great to reasonably well with their first cuts. I just say a little boys haircut, not too short, and avoid the bowl cut look lol! They try to use capes, but if the kid balks they give up on that first thing.

They set up a cute picture when you are done from the back of the child so you can see the first haircut hat, and the barber holds a mirror in front of him so you can see his face in the mirror. One thing we didn't learn until these last haircuts is that you can request a photopass photographer to come take photos for you, and if there is an extra one or a roamer available they will send one. So for our twins first haircuts we did this and they were able to send a photographer, we got tons of photos before, during, and after their haircuts and since she was there we got pictures of the other kids cuts and my husbands cuts as well. Honestly I'm not sure if the special photo came out any better than when i took it, but it was so nice to know we were getting photos, particularly since both my DH and I were sitting with a child and not free to take them. She also took a lot of after photos outside around the barber pole. I definitely recommend requesting a photographer, I wish I had known it was possible for the first 2 kids.

I've done this with all 4 of my boys, most recently with 16 month old twins in June 2018. As others have said, you get snippets of their hair, a first haircut Mickey ears hat, and a certificate. They do real haircuts, my older boys always get their hair cut there also and they like the cuts better than the ones they get at home. My DH also occasionally gets his cut, but doing 5 haircuts takes a bit of time out of our day! They are good with kids, and will do them on the booster board, on a parents lap, or they even offered to do a sleeping kid in a stroller once but I didn't do that. They give them lots of Mickey Stickers and one of the light up twirling toys, and while I've had a few problems with subsequent haircuts with one of my kids they all did from great to reasonably well with their first cuts. I just say a little boys haircut, not too short, and avoid the bowl cut look lol! They try to use capes, but if the kid balks they give up on that first thing.

They set up a cute picture when you are done from the back of the child so you can see the first haircut hat, and the barber holds a mirror in front of him so you can see his face in the mirror. One thing we didn't learn until these last haircuts is that you can request a photopass photographer to come take photos for you, and if there is an extra one or a roamer available they will send one. So for our twins first haircuts we did this and they were able to send a photographer, we got tons of photos before, during, and after their haircuts and since she was there we got pictures of the other kids cuts and my husbands cuts as well. Honestly I'm not sure if the special photo came out any better than when i took it, but it was so nice to know we were getting photos, particularly since both my DH and I were sitting with a child and not free to take them. She also took a lot of after photos outside around the barber pole. I definitely recommend requesting a photographer, I wish I had known it was possible for the first 2 kids.
Thank you for sharing so many details!! I had been second guessing my desire to wait for the first haircut at Disney, but reading everyone’s experiences I am feeling much better that it’ll be a memorable and worthwhile experience!

That’s really helpful to know about needing to request a photographer - perhaps that’s why the cm said that there is one there ... she just left out the rather important detail that it’s not automatic and needs to be requested! Do you request one when you arrive to check in?

Just got back and did our baby's first haircut for our 1 yr old boy.
The folks there were amazing, hands down awesome experience.
We got ears with 1st haircut on them, a certificate with the date and name/etc. as well as locks of hair in a bag to keep. I would absolutely do this again in a heartbeat!

Just got back and did our baby's first haircut for our 1 yr old boy.
The folks there were amazing, hands down awesome experience.
We got ears with 1st haircut on them, a certificate with the date and name/etc. as well as locks of hair in a bag to keep. I would absolutely do this again in a heartbeat!
Thank you for sharing! Glad you had such a great experience!

We did it several years ago for our daughter who had thin hair but by age 2 it was uneven. They did a great job not loosing the length but just evening things out. Plan to also tip with some cash.

A friend recently had her older daughters first cut and they did a great job again.

I agree its one of the best values at Disney!

Thank you for sharing so many details!! I had been second guessing my desire to wait for the first haircut at Disney, but reading everyone’s experiences I am feeling much better that it’ll be a memorable and worthwhile experience!

That’s really helpful to know about needing to request a photographer - perhaps that’s why the cm said that there is one there ... she just left out the rather important detail that it’s not automatic and needs to be requested! Do you request one when you arrive to check in?

Yes, I requested a photopass photographer when I checked us in, and the lady made a call right then. I had been a bit worried they would act like it was a crazy request, but she acted like it wasn't unusual at all. They did tell her only that they would try on the phone, but a photographer came over pretty quickly. I initially felt a little bad that the photographer stood around so long waiting for their turn, for each child, etc. but then I realized she was in an air conditioned, relatively peaceful environment and decided she might not have minded after all!

I would suggest calling them and making an appointment, especially if you know what day you are going to be in the Magic Kingdom. We tried the walk in in September last year and they put us on the schedule but the list had filled up quickly so it was hours later. By the time our appointment time came around my son was too grumpy to even try so we cancelled. Disappointed at the time but I am now making plans to go back in June/ July to try it again. He still gets his first haircut at Disney and I get another trip!!!

Last edited:
we are going in Dec and my 2.5 yo DS is getting his wild hair get for the 1st time. I cant wait- it is growing in all uneven and its time for a big boy cut. I cannot wait!!!! Everyone I spoke to told me I can request a photopass photographer to come in. If i see one I can ask, or I can ask at the front desk when we check in!!
If you are going after dec i will let you know how our experience was!!!

This makes me all so happy to read. Not the original poster but we just scheduled this for my son for this coming May. I was a little worried he might be too young but it seems like that won’t be the case! Happy to read about the little experiences along the way!

So we have this booked for our now 11 month old (he’ll be 13 months when we go). I’m concerned that his hair isn’t long enough. If we were just at home I definitely wouldn’t be getting his hair cut this early. Should we keep the appointment? I really want to do it but I feel like the hairdresser will give us the side eye and be like umm what do you want me to cut? Hahaha

I’m
So we have this booked for our now 11 month old (he’ll be 13 months when we go). I’m concerned that his hair isn’t long enough. If we were just at home I definitely wouldn’t be getting his hair cut this early. Should we keep the appointment? I really want to do it but I feel like the hairdresser will give us the side eye and be like umm what do you want me to cut? Hahaha
I’m sure people with experience of the above will comment too but just to say, I’m planning on taking my 11month old for his first hair cut whilst we are there. He’ll only have the tiniest little bit to trim but it’s all about the experience for us. Even if they do one snip of the scissors I’ll be happy as I’m paying for the experience rather than the actual cut. I’m hoping the barbers will be ok with that!

I was going to take my son and had just a little if any to trim when we were there September 2017. Sadly my son was having magical moments when our time came to do it and we had to cancel. I want his first cut at Disney World so bad I am planning a long weekend in March or April and one day tickets just to make it happen. My wife thinks I am insane spending over a grand just to get his haircut there. I am sure the barbers are OK with it and have done it several thousand times. They understand that it is more for the memories and the special ears than really needing a cut.

On a side note he has so much hair now that I might get the side on eye on why did these people wait so long to get his haircut!!

All three of my kids had their first haircuts there. My girls were both around 2 when they got their first haircuts. Really, they just got trims. My son was just over a year, and really needed a haircut. He got a cute little boy haircut. The person will ask what you want and in my experience really try to comply with your wishes. There is no PP person stationed in there. I don't see that changing really. The place is tiny. You may have some luck in having them bring one over. We never asked. Overall, it is a great experience and probably for the cost the best deal in Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter