First cruise - Dream (4nights) or Magic (5 nights)

As others said 5 nights is better than 4. We have sailed the most on the Magic and love the smaller ships. The Twist n Spout water slide is a lot of fun for kids. Castaway Cay is much nicer on the smaller ships, not nearly as crowded.

One more vote for the Magic
As others have said it’s a lot less hectic.
Since it’s your daughter’s first cruise I think she’ll like the kids club so much better on the smaller ship. The kids club can get very crowded and overwhelming on the bigger ships.

I'm going to go against the majority here and say that my family prefers the Dream over the classic ships. I'm seeing a lot of comments about it being more hectic, but I felt like the classic ships felt a bit more cramped (especially the atrium - much smaller on the classics), and my family just overall enjoys the feel of the Dream more. But honestly, you're going on a Disney cruise, you're going to have the time of your life either way.

Another vote for the Magic. I just prefer the smaller ships. Do you need concierge? For space you could maybe get two connecting cabins for the same price? We did that with my sister and her two little girls. Sometimes the balconies can connect as well. There is a book called Hidden Mickeys Go to Sea - where you look for 'hidden' Mickey shapes on the ships. I have two copies (by accident). It you would like one, PM me and I'll send it to you. Fun for kids!

My preferences:

Magic over Dream

Terminal: Port Canaveral over Miami. Disney-dedicated / decorated building.
Drive time to port ; Miami over Port Canaveral

5-night over 4-night for experienced cruisers
4-night over 5-night if a chance you get seasickness

Concierge: Dream over Magic. It’s an after-thought on the Magic. Unless Concierge is your thing, it’s a lot of money for little reward on DCL. Other cruise lines have better Suites than Disney’s somewhat -better-decorated Concierge cabins - at way better prices. You don’t get a different dining room, either. You eat with the masses. You get entertained with the masses. You do water activities with the masses.

I am overwhelmed by the larger ships: Dream/Fantasy, Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. They are like floating cities.

The Magic & Wonder have the feeling of being at a resort with free-reign to go where you want (thinking about kids in that respect). The drink and Food stations, ice cream, are close by on the pool deck, where a kid can practice independence and get something for themselves. Things don't seem so far away. Forget something in the cabin? No problem.

If you have go-go-go children who need constant entertainment from outside sources, Dream may offer more or better. I traveled with nieces who never did the clubs. We did more stuff as a family.

My preferences:

Magic over Dream

Terminal: Port Canaveral over Miami. Disney-dedicated / decorated building.
Drive time to port ; Miami over Port Canaveral

5-night over 4-night for experienced cruisers
4-night over 5-night if a chance you get seasickness

Concierge: Dream over Magic. It’s an after-thought on the Magic. Unless Concierge is your thing, it’s a lot of money for little reward on DCL. Other cruise lines have better Suites than Disney’s somewhat -better-decorated Concierge cabins - at way better prices. You don’t get a different dining room, either. You eat with the masses. You get entertained with the masses. You do water activities with the masses.

I am overwhelmed by the larger ships: Dream/Fantasy, Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. They are like floating cities.

The Magic & Wonder have the feeling of being at a resort with free-reign to go where you want (thinking about kids in that respect). The drink and Food stations, ice cream, are close by on the pool deck, where a kid can practice independence and get something for themselves. Things don't seem so far away. Forget something in the cabin? No problem.

If you have go-go-go children who need constant entertainment from outside sources, Dream may offer more or better. I traveled with nieces who never did the clubs. We did more stuff as a family.
Thanks!

With a 6 year old and wanting to sail Concierge, I'd go with the Dream. There are more activities for kids on the Dream and the Concierge experience is much better.

Don't worry about crowds on Castaway Cay. Get off early, find yourself a nice hammock and lounge chairs at the very end of the family beach...ahhhh, and enjoy this magical island. Or, your niece (age?) can join the kids club for the day, and you can take the tram down the adult beach! there's nothing like it, just so nice away from all the kids, and quiet. I'm tempted to book the Magic with you, its my favorite ship of all! But, I want a 7 day, trust me you won't want to get off after 5 days :).

Don't worry about crowds on Castaway Cay. Get off early, find yourself a nice hammock and lounge chairs at the very end of the family beach...ahhhh, and enjoy this magical island. Or, your niece (age?) can join the kids club for the day, and you can take the tram down the adult beach! there's nothing like it, just so nice away from all the kids, and quiet. I'm tempted to book the Magic with you, its my favorite ship of all! But, I want a 7 day, trust me you won't want to get off after 5 days :).
Thanks! :)

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter