First CARS @ AoA-Now CARS LAND @ DHS!?

I think that based on its initial popularity it made sense to clone it and bring it to WDW. However as a long term attraction, despite it's continued popularity, as has been discussed on the DIS for some time it needs to be updated at WDW. I think the same approach should, and will be taken, with Carsland at DHS. By the time the addition of CL would actually take place wevarevtalking at least a few years. However I am al in favor of adding an enhanced version of TT to DHS as some have described it. Many have complained about the need for an additional E attraction at DHS. What better than a proven hit with the guests.

The difference, primarily, between Soarin and Cars Land is...cost.

It's like comparing grapes to watermelons.

As for timeline...a "few" years? I'd be shocked if they were working on Avatarland AND a significant expansion to DHS at the same time...You'd be talking about 1.1 BILLION in capital investments at WDW parks in a very short time....and marshalling resources for 2 separate, enormous projects. I'd be beyond shocked to see that.

Avatarland is supposed to start construction in 2013. Given what we've seen out of the Imagineers lately (the light up plant tech), I'd guess that schedule is probably still on. Opening in 2015 or 2016, I think.

So Carsland would start construction in 2016 or 2017. You'd have to figure completion by 2019-ish.

And all that ignores a fragile economy, questions about economic recovery (and it's speed), and a shrinking middle class in terms of % of total income. I'm not going to remotely make this political, but besides EVERYTHING else we've talked about...those are certainly factors Disney corporate considers. OH...and the fact Iger will no longer be CEO (which could either help or hinder "everything").

DizCaptain said:
I'll keep this short and sweet:
1. I hate the fact that so many rides are just becoming homogeneous clones.
2. I don't support the idea of bringing Cars Land to WDW, something that was tailored for CA and has in large been successful to the park.
3. Where the heck is the Monsters Inc. coaster?!

x2

About 6 months ago we are chattered about a carbon copy of cars land to DHS. This idea would be simple and cost less then a new attraction lands such as Avatar Land and FLE. So this theory makes sence with cars land comming to DHS.

About 6 months ago we are chattered about a carbon copy of cars land to DHS. This idea would be simple and cost less then a new attraction lands such as Avatar Land and FLE. So this theory makes sence with cars land comming to DHS.

Just to point out:

Cars land reportedly cost 750 million to build.

FLE reportedly cost about 300 million to build.

Avatarland is budgeted, by their own press releases, at 400 million.

Just to point out:

How much of the $750 million was R&D. I also think it costs twice as much to do any project in California. I think the adjusted number for Cars Land for DHS is going to be much lower.

I know a lot of people probably disagree with me on this but I really hope this doesn't happen finally DCA has something very nice and very unique to make it a Disney worthy park and now the what I would say most magnificent thing Disney has ever created is being copied to DHS. Just knowing that route 66 runs through California just makes it that much better Cars Land fits right in to California. Having a Cars Land in Florida doesn't even make sense so I say don't let the beautiful Cars Land be copied!

LOL, Disney's whole intention with their lands is to bring far off and exotic lands to the park visitors. One of the reasons CA failed so hard is because it had all local theming. Why go to Disney if the real thing is just up the street?
Cars Land however isn't really a California theme as it is more set in Arizona/NM.
However I agree I'd rather have something different in DHS. Cars was not my favorite and they have so many other Pixar films that they can do better with.
I like how they can us the same ride system and have different themes. Indiana Jones / Dinosaur, TT and Cars. I think it works best this way.

I like to make predictions based sometimes purely on my gut feelings and it's interesting to see if they ever come true - so here's mine:

Despite my desire for them to have built Carsland in WDW vs. Florida (for selfish reasons), I don't actually think they will and actually if I had to allocate capital to DHS I don't think I would build Carsland either. I DO think that Disney:

1. Will bring a somewhat major update to DHS.
2. And that it would be more likely to include a Monsters Inc ride, probably in the location of Who wants to be a millionaire.
3. Bring an update somewhere in the park that has to do with how movies are made, probably highlighting technology and advancements in filmmaking etc.

I *hope* that they refresh the backlot tour, the art of animation, and Sounds dangerous (or the special sound effects show for those of us who remember that) rather than replace them with "rides." Those shows inspired my sister and I so much (and we are now in the tv business and advertising partly as a result).

To me, DHS/MGM has always been about the magic of the movies and show business, not just putting you in rides featuring the movies. Though I completely appreciate Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster, I greatly miss my old favorites of the movie making magic. (Remember when kids got to ride the bee on the blue screen in the backlot tour?)

How much of the $750 million was R&D. I also think it costs twice as much to do any project in California. I think the adjusted number for Cars Land for DHS is going to be much lower.

A) I don't know how much was R&D...you'd have to ask Disney. I know that Radiator Springs Racers was pegged at 200 million, alone, in press accounts...and it basically uses a modified test track system. Not sure how much R&D would go into that piece. Looking at the "land"..other than the floating tire effect (which I would bet isn't going to get used again any time soon, given it's issues), I'm not sure how much "R&D" there would need to have been, in sum total. Design and fabrication (which would still need to happen if you're "cloning" at DHS) I see in spades.

B) I'm not sure why you think any project would cost "twice as much" in California. Especially when the land for the project is already owned. Labor and materials are certainly not twice as expensive as they are in Florida. There would likely need to be more significant demolition in Florida, to fit Cars Land into the existing park footprint. And Florida construction is notoriously expensive because of it's relatively shallow water table.

While I'm sure there would be some economy in "cloning", I doubt it would be close to 50%.

Point being: Disney has gotten FLE and (if they stay in budget) Avatarland for less, total, than Cars Land cost them.

Yeah, because Disney only made $630 million in profit off of the theme parks last quarter. They really can't afford to design something unique and different for DHS. :headache:

I'm sure that money might go farther in FL but it's not double. If they do Cars at DHS, it will be at a smaller scale than at CA if not for money than for space.
I'd rather see a expanded Pixar land as I think it would meld with Movie production theme better anyway.

I'm sure that money might go farther in FL but it's not double. If they do Cars at DHS, it will be at a smaller scale than at CA if not for money than for space.
I'd rather see a expanded Pixar land as I think it would meld with Movie production theme better anyway.

I'd guess/ballpark they could probably shave 15% to 20% off the costs (that's R&D and construction) and pretty much outright clone it (with some differences in layout). To be clear, that's based off of nothing other than comparing other "clone" estimates, that have been in the press, at USH/USF and WDW/DL. And that number is being generous (typically, in actual comparison, it looks like it's more like 10% to 15%).

That still puts you north of 600 million, ballpark.

After already doling out 300 million for FLE.

And 400 million for Avatarland.

I think it's a lot more likely we see an expansion of Pixarland, with maybe a 250 million budget.

Yeah, because Disney only made $630 million in profit off of the theme parks last quarter. They really can't afford to design something unique and different for DHS. :headache:

Too many more "John Carter" movies and they might NOT be able to.

:)

Space isn't an issue, there's plenty of land to build it just like the one at DCA if they wanted to

Just to point out:

Officially DCA's big project cost 1.1 Billion in total.

Of that they built Carsland, WoC, Little Mermaid, the new entrance area- Bueana Vista Street, and some other small projects. Also Disney has stated that Toy Story Midway Mania was the start of that project but some state the development was not in that 1.1 Billio which leave on the constrution.

So take the 1.1 billion and subtract out WoC at over 250 Million and Little Mermaid at over 100 M and all you have left is 750 million. With 750 million left you still have to tear out the entrance and put in a new one, including a huge restuarant and trolley. Redo a couple large restraunts in the pier area. Build Toy Story and some small building arounds it. Retheme the wild mouse and swinging chairs rides.

When you break out Carsland it was probably a ways under 750 million. It also includes a big mountain range which not only adds to the Radiator Springs theme but happens to block out Power Lines, Hotels and the convention center across the street. This wouldn't be a nessecary component of a new Cars Land.

plutosdoghouse said:
When you break out Carsland it was probably a ways under 750 million. It also includes a big mountain range which not only adds to the Radiator Springs theme but happens to block out Power Lines, Hotels and the convention center across the street. This wouldn't be a nessecary component of a new Cars Land.

No way should they ever build a carsland without the huge mountain range. The mountain range is absolutely necessary for the "land". If they brought one ride, like maters, then yes they could skip it but if you build all of radiator springs you HAVE to have the mountain range.

No way should they ever build a carsland without the huge mountain range. The mountain range is absolutely necessary for the "land". If they brought one ride, like maters, then yes they could skip it but if you build all of radiator springs you HAVE to have the mountain range.

I would agree with this.

They have plenty of room to add it without dropping lights motors action. I dont like that show but if they change it to cars lamd how will it affect the backlot tour

With any hope te backlot tour will die the death it needs to die.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts