Fires...

Tense

Mouseketeer
Here in Ct. we aren't hearing too much about the fires in Orlando. Does anyone know how close to the resorts the are this time. I was down last June and had to move hotels 3 times due to the fires.

Seems like there are some post about this on the Community Board here. I was asking the same thing. Doesn't look like it will get near WDW - but the smoke is bad at times they are saying. In regards to your Vistana Resort, I have not been there, but I am going in May. Look at some of my past post. Do a search and you will find all kinds of info on this.

I was in WDW last week. You couldn't even smell the fires - the largest ones are well outside the WDW area. You could see the smoke rising from the fire in Polk County from the queue area at Summit Plummit in BB and it looks quite widespread.
We actually stayed near the US27 in Polk and it wasn't a problem there either as its quite far south. The I4 was closed south of US27 though which meant traffic was a bit heavier. Also in the early morning there seemed to be extra fog which might have been fire related.
Accoring to the local news both fires are about 70% under control.

Oct/Nov 1987 Travelodge Maingate East (WDW)
1991 Anaheim (DL)
1993 Camp Davey Crockett (DLP)
1995 Hotel Cheyenne (DLP)
1996 Sequoia Lodge (DLP)
Oct 1997 Esprit Villa(WDW)
Mar 2000 Esprit Villa(WDW)
Feb 2001 Esprit Villa(WDW)
Dec 2001/Jan 2002 Esprit Villa (WDW)

We were at WDW 2/1-2/1. We stayed at the HIFS. You could smell the smoke quite strong depending on the way the wind was blowing. We did smell it at one of the parks one day. I think it was MGM, but not sure. HIFS is right near Downtown disney, so I am sure you could smell it there too at times.

Chris

We were at Epcot just over a week ago. On the way we ran into what we thought was some fog, but we quickly realised was smoke. It wasn't thick smoke, but the smell was quite unpleasant. It cleared after a couple of hours, but the smell lingered all day inside some of the buildings.

We could occaisionally smell some smoke around Orlando now and again for a few days after, but nothing too bad.

Some mornings you could really smell the fires and others there was a faint scent, like someone camping nearby. We encounter no problems with fog or smoke though. We were there 2/13-2/27. Has really great weather.

It all depends on which way the wind is blowing. Late January we had one really smoky day. They were making jokes about it at the sea world sea lion and otter show. The rest of the days were smoke free.

We just got back yesterday and we could smell smoke at our hotel a few times but it was very faint. If we did not know about the fires we probably not even know it was smoke. We also went to Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens and there was no hint of smoke. We went to Busch Gardens on Tuesday and they had even openned I4 so hopefully the worst is over. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter