Figment's retrun!?!

lauter52

Earning My Ears
Got back from the world in June and was asking about the new Journey into your Imagination and how horrible of a ride it is. The CM at that ride when I asked "When will they bring back Figment?, she stated never and the ride will stay the way it is now. BUT.... When I approached another CM over at Innoventions (who by the way was leaving the world to go back to his home soon) said that they just got word that Journey wasn't doing well (DUH) and that they were going to replace it with a ride based on the new movie coming out about Monsters. He say Figment will be a big part of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'll see! Keep those fingers and toes, and even those eyes crossed for the RETURN OF THE BIG PURPLE GUY ......FIGMENT!!!!!!!!:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :earseek:

Another rumor floating around is that the Monsters thing has been cancelled and that the ride will be redressed as "Figment's Journey into Your Imagination". Either way, it sounds like Disney is working on fixing the problem.

I hope they use this opportunity to do the right thing. That is put an attraction with IMAGINATION in the IMAGINATION pavilion! I think that the original was one of EPCOT's best attractions! Hopefully they learned that people can tell the difference between a quality show and what is currently there now. It should be interesting to see how they handle this mess.

Oh I hope they bring back Figgy!I missed him the last time we went.I was upset the Journey into th e Imagination show was down at the time and the CM I asked said they didn't know when it would be back up.Figment was one of the best things I remember from my first trip to Epcot.I hope that Disney has the sense to bring back our little dragon.

I just returned from a week at WDW (I'm working on a complete trip report, but I have a ton of unpacking to do first!). While at Imagination, I asked two different cast members about the future of the attraction and got almost the same response, that Figment will be "added" into the attraction. This is a variation of the rumors I've heard on this and other Disney web sites. My impression is that they aren't expecting anything totally new, but improvements to the existing ride (I hope it's more than just a name change and a token appearance by Figment). One CM commented that work on Imagination has been planned several times, but keeps getting postponed for one reason or another. What I cant say, though, is if these two CM's really knew anything more than the rest of us, were just repeating what other guests have been asking them, or even just "pulling my leg" with false rumors.

What happens to this pavillion is dependent on the sponsorship deal Disney can sign for the show. Kodak is not exactly a cash-rich company these days, but they don't want to give up their relationship with Disney either (you shoudl see how much film they sell there...).

Not only do they sell a great deal of film (and cameras), they sell it for about 50% more than on the "outside". They also do alot of 1 and 4 hour developing. Probably the biggest retail moneymaker Kodak has...

What really gets me is why did they feel the need to change the ride in the first place??
Was there someone at WDI that proposed this as a better ride than that was there? How could they be that off base to think the public would like this new show when the old one was so wonderful?
I guess the same people that thought it would be a good idea to tear down Horizons and rip out World of Motion. All they have to do know is "rehab" Spaceship Earth so they can "fix" everything that was great about EPCOT in the first place.

What is sad is that the last few times I have been to EPCOT it was just for dinner and Illuminations. I have no desire to go back to Future World as it now stands. I used to be able to spend an entire day at EPCOT. :(

I haven't seen the ride yet without Figment, but I have a feeling I will miss the old fellow.

I don't understand how all you people say that Figment isn't in this attraction. As far as I remember from the original he is in the new one even more.

Huh? Even more???

What Figment you see now looks like it was put in as an afterthought to try and please all of the figment lovers.
The ENTIRE ride before was ABOUT Figment! Remember he is a Figment of your imagination! He sang the song, and he was in just about every set of the show! In fact, he WAS the show :-)

Gosh, I miss the old ride.

:(

OnWiththeShow, I think it might be time for a memory recharge. :)

LOL gcurling.

Figment was featured in just about every scene in the original ride with his picture popping up in countless ways in the multiscreen room. Now he is there in a picture in the queue and in another picture just past the same multiscreen room. If anyone can recall any other place please say so.

Eric Idle just doesn't do it for me in this ride. I would like for Figment and the Dreamfinder to present the story of imagination as they once did. A newly refurbished ride with Figment at least and nice effects should bring in the people. Right now, you can hear a pin drop in the queue when you walk in.

1)The Pre-show monitors show (if you have at least a 5 minute wait and have a larger attention span than a gnat) an explaination of every experiment on the tour as well as an explaination of Figment's origin. I recall him showing up three times on these monitors.
2) between Sound and Illusions, Figment's shadow flashes quite clearly on the walls behind the computer bank.
3) in the segue from Illusions to Color, figment IS the images in the kaliedescope monitors.
4) After Color, in the intro to Connections/Dimensions, Figment is on the chalk board.
5) There's a "hidden Figment" in the queue on the "rack o' bric-a-brac" on the right.
6) Figment congratulates you in Finale, and discusses your potential with Dr. Channing in Starfield.

The attraction as you see it is not the attraction as it was intended. Delays in testing and installation shortened the presentation and reduced some show scenes from their very cool interactive and multi-sensory potential (especially Color and Gravity). The point was to avoid Test Track-like delay flak. (personally, I would rather have the delay, but you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't...) Yes, a completion was on Parks Planned Work (yeah, we do have to plan big things ahead of time, that's always been true and it has no reflection on "the magic" or whether maintenance cares or not [they do] If you have to tear out a wall in your house and add twelve light fixtures, you're going to consult an architect and take contractor bids, not just grab a sledge hammer.) Yes, it was pushed back.
As far as it stands right now, I think the Image works is much better. If you really miss those disease spreading pin-boards, you can buy one at the mall and leave it in the local free clinic for about a week, bring it home and relive your happy memories. All I can say about that is "Yuck."
Go to the image works, play music in a CGI alley (better than just controlling the volume, folks), e-mail a free picture of yourself as an animal to your friends and family, and step on some pictures that make noises (yes they still have that, yes it's just as big, and yes, you have to have greater observation skills than a stunned trout to find it.
Have fun, cause if you don't, I sure will!
Here's hoping the little that's bad gets fixed and all the great things get even better!
Kungaloosh!

"2) between Sound and Illusions, Figment's shadow flashes quite clearly on the walls behind the computer bank. "

Actually, this was removed at least six months ago.

The latest update on Screamscape is 100% correct, simply because I was one of their sources. Without going into too much detail, anything you hear from Cast Members at Epcot is just junk rumors and they honestly know nothing. There have been four scheduled redo's of Imagination since the ride re-opened in 10/99. All four have been cancelled including the last concept with Monsters, Inc. That was coincidently cancelled about a week before Jim Hill's story about the Monsters, Inc. theme ever made it to the Orlando Weekly.

Without revealing my sources (they are real, not working the ride, beverage cart, or selling plush nearby--not that there is anything wrong with that!!, but those aren't reliable sources), the ride will be totally revamped with Figment as the centerpiece. It is still on schedule with a Summer/Fall '02 re-opening. This comes from some very high management between both companies. Just remember where you heard it first, but since they have now cancelled four revamps, you never know....Also, you might want to look for Figment's shirt to return.. Hm... :p

Hey Ozmo19,

Thanks for the update! Lets just hope your right :). At least someone at Disney realizes this ride in its current form needs to be fixed. Even if they have scrapped the other 4 makeovers. I hope that they do it right this time. Do you know if they are planning to make the ride longer again? We need more long rides in EPCOT!

I am also glad that they dropped the Monsters INC idea. Maybe they will do a Monsters ride in MGM or the Magic Kingdom instead.

Ozmo19

but since they have now cancelled four revamps, you never know....

Has this type of on-again/off-again planning always been standard operating procedure at Disney? It sure seems like attractions plans change pretty frequently. The time invested in continually drafting up new plans that never get implemented sure seems like a waste of precious resources.

You included the Monsters theme as one of the four. Were the other three revamps different attraction concepts or just three times the same version got close to getting the green light before getting cancelled?

Glad to have you posting. Any other good rumors you've heard about?

Yes, this is the way it is quite alot of the time. Aladdin was a go, then no-go, then a go again, then postponed "indefinitely", then a no-go before finally being built. The interim show at HoP was decided on after the show writer who was colaborating with a CM on a temporary spiel/presentation to take place in the rotunda took the voluntary package. I can vouch that there are alot of CMs who believe the first thing they hear, and that alot of what you hear (especially on the internet) is either mixed up or false, but I would never put a blanket nullification on the knowledge of every operations CM in the parks. To those who say "you're only as good as your sources" I say "You're as good as yourself, your sources are seperate people." I read, ask questions, try to stay on top of my general knowledge, and use a little bit of rational thinking to weed out the stories that seem a little too 'out there'.

I can vouch that there are alot of CMs who believe the first thing they hear, and that alot of what you hear (especially on the internet) is either mixed up or false, but I would never put a blanket nullification on the knowledge of every operations CM in the parks.

Amen Steve!

PS you are on track with the JIYI. There will be change...as of today . but tomorrow is another day:rolleyes:

:)

If Figment is to make a big return then that will be pleasant news to my girlfriend. She was upset when she went to WDW back in May with family to discover the absence of Figment. Hopefully, he will be back where he belongs next May when my girlfriend and I go to WDW.

Mickey76:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter