Fellowship of the fisheye

Thanks. Manual focus is easy- you really have to work at it to get anything out of focus. And it will meter fine with the D7000- aren't you getting one of those? I was just using it on the D40 yesterday.

Good stuff Jeff!

That's been my experience also, pretty hard to miss focus. If I'm close enough that I need to move it off infinity, I don't even bother using the VF, I just guess the distance and set focus by the scale. It's faster for me since there is a large margin for error.

Thanks. Manual focus is easy- you really have to work at it to get anything out of focus. And it will meter fine with the D7000- aren't you getting one of those? I was just using it on the D40 yesterday.

I forgot about that! I remember reading that the D7000 wouldn't initially be able to meter some lenses, but you could 'program' it to meter (probably not the correct term of art on that). I didn't quite follow the tech side of that; do you know if it will be able to meter with the D7000 out of the box, or will something need to be done. That really resolves my key concern.

My second concern, with the focus, is really going to seem...odd...but it's for when I take pictures of myself, such as this:
101710002290.jpg

May seem like a minor thing, but I've recently started taking a lot of pictures like this with the fisheye. Although, I suppose if I got the 8-16mm, I could use it for that purpose. Hmmm.

IF it operates the way my D700 does then you will have a library of lenses you can program in and the Samyang will operate the same way my AIS lenses do. You have spaces in the menu 1 thru 6 or whatever- that you can program the lens specs- Focal Length, Min F-Stop- then all you have to do is select the lens you are using and control f-stop via the aperture ring. In A-Mode it will meter and expose just like any lens except you are using the old school ring instead of the camera dial to choose your aperture setting. The IF is a big if though- that is the impression I got from reading but I am no authority.

I know for a fact the D300 and D300s behaves this way BTW- I'll respond to that other thread or start a new on on that when I have more time.

My second concern, with the focus, is really going to seem...odd...but it's for when I take pictures of myself, such as this:

May seem like a minor thing, but I've recently started taking a lot of pictures like this with the fisheye. Although, I suppose if I got the 8-16mm, I could use it for that purpose. Hmmm.

I'd just set focus to 3 feet and snap away. I'll have to test this one out.

Yeah, fisheye manual focus is relatively easy, especially if you stop down a little.

That Samyang seems neat. I'd love to pick one up but it doesn't make any sense to get another fisheye (on top of the 10-17mm and the Zenitar) but it wouldn't be my first redundant lens. :) Manual focus doesn't bother me too much; in fact, I've been trying to hone my manual focusing skills again and have been using MF as much as possible lately.

Some new shots! We skipped the Watkins Glen Vintage Races last year and this year due to my new daughter, but I found that there was a Ferrari Club of America event there the weekend before, so I decided to take her down there for just the day to see how she'd do at the racetrack. (She did very well! It's the camping that we do at the Vintage Races that concerns me more.) We went down on the last day, so I think there were less cars, but it was still a good turnout and relatively cheap admission.

Here's a few fisheyes from the event...

20150618114856-e4623e0e-la.jpg

20150618114856-83907390-la.jpg

F40! First time I've seen one in person... it's one of my all-time favorites. :love: :love: :love:

20150618114856-f9084838-la.jpg

20150618114856-f3e3d23a-la.jpg

Last edited:
Nice ones, Groucho. ^^Is that a 5X self portrait in the lug nuts? That's too cool.
Heh... hadn't noticed that. Looking at the original at 100%, yes, I'm in there and so is Mrs Groucho. :)

It's always fun using a fisheye with cars. I have a whole bunch of photos still to go through from the event but almost all are cars on the track, so few if any fisheyes...

Probably not great examples of the many cool ways a fisheye can be used, but still fisheye photos all the same! :)

The first is the "candy buffet" at my Sister-In-Law's recent baby shower. The second is a shot of the nursery they're decorating for their soon to be daughter/first child.

1022702406_Cbpnd-L.jpg

1058176570_ttbk9-L.jpg

Gdad, the first shot makes you look a little like some sort of sinister puppeteer. :lmao: Not bad. I saw a couple days ago a place that shaves the lens hoods off APS fisheyes to use on FF - like the Samyang, the 10-17mm, etc. They produce some interesting results.

Here's a couple older shots that I don't think I've ever posted... a playground is a fun place for a fisheye. (But then, where isn't?!?) The girl is one of my nieces.

20160508030758-742f7469-la.jpg

20160508030759-fc218b31-la.jpg

20160508030802-e24b6901-la.jpg

20160508030804-dcf7c4c4-la.jpg

20160508030805-9b643a6b-la.jpg

Last edited:
I simply cannot afford a dedicated fish-eye lens for my Canon 50D. I use the 1.8 50mm prime and 17-85 lenses. Does anyone have any recommendations and a fish eye attachment I could get? I know the quality is not quite on par but it's something for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter