Feeling Blue

tlprice

DIS Veteran
This has been a hard year. I have been sad that I didn't get to take my WDW or DCL Alaska trips this year. Today has been the hardest though. One year ago today I embarked on my last DCL cruise heading from Dover to New York. I am missing DCL so much and so afraid that my two cruises in June and July next year won't happen either because so many people don't seem to care about actually trying to stop the spread of this disease. I know, 1st world problems, but I'm still sad.

I totally understand where you’re coming from! I was planning a WDW trip this year as I try to go every year but, it’s looking like it’s not going to happen :( We can still be sad about these things even if others don’t get it. Disney is our happy place and in this stressful time it would be nice to have that. Sending you a big Disney hug xo

I'm right there with you. I was actually getting off the Magic the same day you were getting on. Despite so many efforts, we haven't managed to get back onboard since. At some point we will be talking about all of this in the past tense. (I'm really looking forward to that!). It's ok for us to be sad about it, and I also know realistically that we could have it much much worse than just losing our vacations, and many have, but it is disappointing all the same!

This. 100%. It may be a first world problem but this is something who used bring us so much joy and we can’t do that anymore... And we don’t know when next time is going to be and how it will be when it happens. It´s going to be different (And probably safer).

This year has been hard. Things we were to celebrate-cancelled. Deaths to mourn (my dad)-restricted. Movement, eating out, masks, restriction-it seems like everywhere. The places I turn to-vacations, a cruise-just to get away, to give myself a break-impossible. The days seem long lately, we have been at this for awhile. I hope and pray for health and a shift soon. Sadness, hoping for better times, a break from it all, not first world. It is just being human and connected.

I'm right there with you. 2020 sucks! We've had 3 vacations cancelled due to COVID (and boy could I use a vacation.) My husband is a firefighter and has been on the front lines of this pandemic, I work for the school district and I take a beating everyday from angry parents and staff. We're thankful to have jobs but they have been beyond stressful. Now, we don't even have vacations to look forward to. The outlook looks bleak for a return to cruising or any kind of "normal" travel. We have the "med" booked for his June but I seriously doubt it's going to happen. I know we're all trying to not be blue but it's impossible right now.

I know the feeling! Our cruise on the Dream was cancelled and it was supposed to be this big trip for my FIL's 65th birthday, all 10 of us were going to go. Then we pushed it back to a December 26th sailing on the Fantasy. Now we're booked on the Fantasy at the end of March and we're all kind of holding our breath and praying for a vaccine so that we can go. Its definitely a 1st world problem given that my job is safe and my family has managed to avoid getting sick (which is a blessing given that we live very close to NYC). I've started watching Youtube videos of cruise vlogs to help with some of the disappointment(Michael Kay has a ton, although some people think he's A LOT, and The Tourist Trek are a cute, young couple with a few).

I'm with you. We're up in MA but WDW AP's and loved DCL. We would go to the parks 4-5 times a year and I'm so sad thinking that we were there this past February after our cruise on the Dream and...that's it for 2020. We have 3 cruises booked for Fall/Winter 2021 but ugh..Hard to stay positive at this point. Thankful to still have my job, thankful for my family's health but man, I miss vacationing. I miss DISNEY vacationing.

We are disappointed about our DCL cruise being canceled twice. Hoping to see cruising return before I make another effort at rebooking. Meanwhile, we did enjoy a long weekend at the Disney Vero Beach Resort and a few days at Disney World.

Totally understandable! While some look at this stuff as first world problems, for those of us who vacation regularly, and look forward to it, it's hard! I count my blessings and am glad that I have these vacations to be sad about, but it still stings.

It’s all very sad. I work for my holidays and having nothing booked and no idea when it will be safe to go next weeks working life a lot harder for me anyway

Right enough I am in Scotland and with another 8 months of a cold winter ahead that’s also depressing

I was just saying this same thing. I basically work to pay for our vacations. DH pays the bills. I work in a school and just started up again last week after 6 months of being out. Usually when I don't want to get out of bed at the silly hour I get up at, or if I'm having a bad day, I tell myself it will be worth it when I'm on the cruise "next summer"....or last year, I had my trip of a lifetime to Hawaii to motivate myself (that didnt happen). Now I have NO motivation to go to work. :sad:

Totally understandable! While some look at this stuff as first world problems, for those of us who vacation regularly, and look forward to it, it's hard! I count my blessings and am glad that I have these vacations to be sad about, but it still stings.

I was just saying this same thing. I basically work to pay for our vacations. DH pays the bills. I work in a school and just started up again last week after 6 months of being out. Usually when I don't want to get out of bed at the silly hour I get up at, or if I'm having a bad day, I tell myself it will be worth it when I'm on the cruise "next summer"....or last year, I had my trip of a lifetime to Hawaii to motivate myself (that didnt happen). Now I have NO motivation to go to work. :sad:

Think of the trip you'll be able to do once things are moving again though..! My work motivation these days is knowing how bored I might be otherwise.. with nowhere to go and without being about to hang out in person with friends I would be going stir crazy despite the hobbies I have. May as well keep my nose to the grindstone and keep saving!

We had two cruises planned this year, one in March and one in November. We rescheduled both before DCL cancelled. We also had two WDW trips planned, both of which we cancelled. So, to make up for four lost vacations, I told my husband we have to make 2021 bigger and better. We rescheduled our cruises for March and October and will be taking family in March, and also are planning WDW in May with extended family. Something to look forward to and something to keep my DH from retiring. I'm thankful to have these boards so we can feel blue together for the time being.

tell me about it. Here in Scotland it’s just rain and snow and really cold temperature Very soon now. How are u meant to find the energy for full time work And not a lot to look forward too

tell me about it. Here in Scotland it’s just rain and snow and really cold temperature Very soon now. How are u meant to find the energy for full time work And not a lot to look forward too

yep , we’re in it together. We like to get away for sunshine in October to help us to get through the bleak Scottish winter but our cruise to Bermuda this year has been cancelled:( With no holiday on the horizon, it’s going to be a long time until spring... especially with our local restrictions of not visiting any other households. Fingers crossed things improve soon.

This has been a hard year. I have been sad that I didn't get to take my WDW or DCL Alaska trips this year. Today has been the hardest though. One year ago today I embarked on my last DCL cruise heading from Dover to New York. I am missing DCL so much and so afraid that my two cruises in June and July next year won't happen either because so many people don't seem to care about actually trying to stop the spread of this disease. I know, 1st world problems, but I'm still sad.

We're all feeling a bit blue and I also want to go back to cruising (and going on ANY other vacation) ASAP.

To cheer you up a bit, here's a story about a treatment that is being developed to fight CV-19
IF this works, and signs are encouraging, it's GAME OVER Covid. Regardless of whether there is a vaccine or not.
As I've mentioned on here, vaccines will be limited in their effectiveness and will have a marginal impact on cruising.
A successful treatment however, that's HUGE.
It's slated for 2021, doesn't say when, but lets keep our fingers crossed.
Because if successful we'll finally be able to go back to normal and cruise.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...esearch-antibody-vaccine/stories/202009150155

Last edited:
Ugh, right there with you. It's been nearly a year since we were last on a cruise ship (Oct 2019), we've had two cancelled this year (would have been Platinum next month) and despite having 3 booked next year I'm not optimistic about at least 1 of them (or 2, if I'm being completely honest). Plus being in Canada we have a VERY strict quarantine act to follow, so we can't even go to Mexico/Cuba/DR this winter without having to quarantine when we get back (which we can't do as my husband doesn't work from home). I'm starting to feel like a prisoner in my own country and I'm sorry if that sounds dramatic but it's true. Despite being a shining example of how to handle the pandemic here in Canada, our province, which once flattened the heck out of the curve, is now seeing a SURGE in cases. I'm so pissed/depressed about this whole year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts