feel a little cheated by dvc

I agree that they didn't necessarily do anything "wrong," i'm just really surprised that when I called the next day and explained what happened, that they didn't just take my money and move on. we'd be happy, and they'd be happy. if its true that the deadline had been publicized for 2 weeks, I certainly hadn't heard it. I may be wrong, but I believe that Disney only confirmed it a few days before the deadline. much like many of their increases, they give very little notice. in regards to waiting until 40 minutes before the deadline, it was my understanding that its a relatively quick transaction over the phone, especially if you're putting it on your credit card (which I was going to do.) the other reason I waited that long was we're about to put out $6500 for a new central air unit, so its not an easy decision to drop another $12,000. thank you for wishing us luck, but we know its not gonna happen

It's too bad - but I do see where DVC simply CAN'T do it late. It is probably a corporate mandate at that point, and they have no way to over-ride it, and if they override for you - they have to over-ride for others.

Perhaps take it as a sign you don't need a direct contract. We were recording a DVC show episode about the increase and the big question was "Why would Disney do this? Won't this just cut people off from buying contracts at all?" About half way through recording it dawned on me - Disney doesn't think that it WILL deter people from buying the direct contract. They thought that raising it from 25 to 75 would, but it really hasn't, so they may well be thinking that 100 won't either. People buy DVC very much with their heart - not their head. If we used our head we would only buy resale. But many people want to be a "member" and don't want to be "held back" from full benefits, so they buy direct.

Decide what you really, really want. If what you really want is the resort access - the save your money and just buy a resale contract. You can buy more points and get more for your money. If you find you don't like it, you can always sell your points, and your unlikely to lose money. (Whereas that direct contract for SSR would immediately lose 30% of it's value the second you signed the contract.) Take it as a sign - stick with resale.

If you aren't already a DVC owner, wasn't the minimum already 100 points?

The 75 point minimum was just for people that were already resale owners and wanted the blue card.

*ETA -- looks like SSR the minimum was less than 100.

It's too bad - but I do see where DVC simply CAN'T do it late. It is probably a corporate mandate at that point, and they have no way to over-ride it, and if they override for you - they have to over-ride for others.

Perhaps take it as a sign you don't need a direct contract. We were recording a DVC show episode about the increase and the big question was "Why would Disney do this? Won't this just cut people off from buying contracts at all?" About half way through recording it dawned on me - Disney doesn't think that it WILL deter people from buying the direct contract. They thought that raising it from 25 to 75 would, but it really hasn't, so they may well be thinking that 100 won't either. People buy DVC very much with their heart - not their head. If we used our head we would only buy resale. But many people want to be a "member" and don't want to be "held back" from full benefits, so they buy direct.

I agree.

I would've thought going from 25 to 75 would've stopped a lot of people since it makes the payout for savings on APs much longer (3x longer to be precise)...but if the numbers didn't really change, then going from 75 to 100 isn't nearly as big of a deal. if you've talked yourself into 75 points, 100 points isn't THAT much more.

Decide what you really, really want. If what you really want is the resort access - the save your money and just buy a resale contract. You can buy more points and get more for your money. If you find you don't like it, you can always sell your points, and your unlikely to lose money. (Whereas that direct contract for SSR would immediately lose 30% of it's value the second you signed the contract.) Take it as a sign - stick with resale.
I've been dying to hear a discussion on the increase. I know these shows are recorded well in advance so may not be timely in some instances. I guess I feel a weird "ownership" since I broke the news LOL.

For many owning DVC makes it easier to go to Disney.

I’m one of those (timeshares make it easier financially for people to go to those places, usually), but it doesn’t mean that I believe I’m in a club or have something special.

And I think newbies should get to my level ASAP lol.

we're just really surprised and disappointed that, under the circumstances, they didnt just sell us the 75 points when i called the next day. in our many trips to disney over the years, whenever we've been inconvenienced in any kind of way, they've been phenomenal in making things right. whether its with a room upgrade, additional fast passes, or a free dessert. thats one of the reasons we all love disney. i wasnt asking for anything free or any kind of pixie dust. i just asked for the opportunity to give them $12,000, based on the miscommunication from the night before.

Buying a timeshare mortgage is a lot different than a FP or a cupcake.

You are definitely disappointed and Disney/DVC has disappointed many in the past and will continue to do so for various reasons wether or not we think/should be disappointed or not. I would be annoyed too but don't think I would be too annoyed at Disney. I have disappointed and annoyed myself recently when I saw a small BCV resale contract and did not pull the trigger right there and then. I know how quickly they go.

What you need to do now is move on and decide what you really want. Will you remain bitter about it and keep dwelling on it even if you buy? You will continue to resent it more and more and only look for it's faults and not the positives. Wether or not you buy the 100 points direct and or all resale, don't put put them on a pedestal or expect all magical things.......it won't be happening. I you don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed.

Take a deep breath. If you love Disney and want to spend many vacations here and lot's of money, do what is right for you/what your heart wants. Then, move on and enjoy it.

Try one more time if you need to, but then decide if you will purchase or not.

Good luck!! Let us know if we need to congratulate you and welcome you home :)

Well I’m confused. The sales center is open till 9, but transactions need to be done by 8.
It’s a sales center... what do they do between 8 and 9..???

Maybe it is that the center is open for questions, etc. and staffed by guides, but that the people who work on the actual contracts leave earlier? I definitely think that the information on the online chat could have been much clearer, but that is one of the drawbacks of these online chat features now...much easier to get questions answered when you don't want to have to make the call and talk directly to a sales person. I get it. I do it all the time.

I think in this case, since the guide did attempt a call back, they were trying to make contact to discuss details, but couldn't get them. I think there were a lot of assumptions on both ends of the conversation.

IMO, if buying in at 75 vs. 100 was a make/break situation, I would have called the guide on the phone and not relied on chat, especially when it was stated he would be leaving by 8. I am positive had that happened, the OP would have been told about the 8 pm deadline. Like said, guides are not allowed (or at the least, very very hesitant) to put any specific details into writing, whether via chat or email.

When incidental benefits were initially restricted on 4/4/2016, it was unclear as to whether people who had contracts in process would qualify. It was announced right at midnight with no warning at all. About a day or 2 after the announcement, someone from DVD called the resale brokers and said the contract had to have closed by 4/4/2016. A couple more days (and a few thousand frustrated phone calls to member services and posts across all the various internet forums) later, an official email was sent out changing it to clearly state that as long as the contract was *received* before that date, it would qualify.

If they wanted to be clear, they would be. Heck, 9 days later they still haven't updated the PDF disclosure or the footer on the membership card screen. Welcome to the era of Terri Schultz

When incidental benefits were initially restricted on 4/4/2016, it was unclear as to whether people who had contracts in process would qualify. It was announced right at midnight with no warning at all. About a day or 2 after the announcement, someone from DVD called the resale brokers and said the contract had to have closed by 4/4/2016. A couple more days (and a few thousand frustrated phone calls to member services and posts across all the various internet forums) later, an official email was sent out changing it to clearly state that as long as the contract was *received* before that date, it would qualify.

If they wanted to be clear, they would be. Heck, 9 days later they still haven't updated the PDF disclosure or the footer on the membership card screen. Welcome to the era of Terri Schultz
We got hit by this on my first resale purchase, we missed it by 2 days.

Well I’m confused. The sales center is open till 9, but transactions need to be done by 8.

Yep - that's the question a few of us have. To me it makes no sense at all.

I think it's the exact opposite of how they work their rides. Think about it. If the park closes at 9, you can get on line for a ride at 8:59 and wait the entire duration of the queue, ride the ride, and then be done. Sometimes that can take an hour or longer. The DVC offices are not like that. If they didn't do it this way, someone could expect to go in at 8:59, get the presentation, go through the buying process, get contracts, etc. It would take at least an hour. It's likely why their guides go home at 8. I may be in the minority here but I think it makes sense.

If you aren't already a DVC owner, wasn't the minimum already 100 points?

The 75 point minimum was just for people that were already resale owners and wanted the blue card.

*ETA -- looks like SSR the minimum was less than 100.

It wasn't before the change. A lot of guides said 100 points minimum (mine included) but when pressed it turns out you can buy them in any quantity. It took several conversations but mine finally admitted that I could buy them in any quantity "If you wanted 50, I could sell you 50. But you wouldn't get the benefits." So when I asked - how many to get the benefits, he stated 75 (prior to the change) and I called him out on telling me it was 100 originally. He backtracked to say - that might have just been what I had available at the time. Which is also BS, because they can break contracts up and combine them as needed.

... in our many trips to disney over the years, whenever we've been inconvenienced in any kind of way, they've been phenomenal in making things right. whether its with a room upgrade, additional fast passes, or a free dessert. thats one of the reasons we all love disney. i wasnt asking for anything free or any kind of pixie dust. i just asked for the opportunity to give them $12,000, based on the miscommunication from the night before.
I get the frustration, and think that it’s unfortunate that DVC did not communicate more clearly, it is confusing that they ‘closed’ at 9 pm, but refused to start a transaction after 8 pm. I’m not a push the deadline type person, so would most likely have pulled the trigger when I learned they were upping the minimum so I’d have enough time to deal with any issues, especially if I wanted to buy a technically sold out resort.
I wanted to address the above portion of your comment. DVC is fairly rigid with their rules. They have to be, because making an exception for one member could negatively impact others, so there’s a different ‘feel’ to DVC than to cash reservations/stays. Realize that with DVC stays there are no room upgrades, indeed, because occupancy is so high, there’s not even switching you to another villa in the same category if you don’t like the location you are assigned. There is a different mind set with a DVC stay & far less throwing out freebies if there’s a problem. They’ll fix the problem, but best not to expect the extras you’ve enjoyed on your previous cash stays. Personally, since my MFs pay for many of those extras I’m ok with that as I’d rather my MFs not escalate too quickly. Also realize the resort will not treat you any differently based on whether you are a direct owner staying at your home resort, a direct owner staying at another resort, a resale grandfathered in blue card holder, a recent resale owner, a renter of points, etc..
Good luck with your decision.

the biggest factor for us Pete, as i'm sure it is for many others as well, is the AP discount. we'd save over $800 per year for the 2 of us. i'm well aware that they can take that perk away at any time. but I have to believe that a large percentage of new direct buyers, bought direct for that particular discount. Disney i'm sure is well aware of this, so I don't see them doing away with that discount anytime soon.

the biggest factor for us Pete, as i'm sure it is for many others as well, is the AP discount. we'd save over $800 per year for the 2 of us. i'm well aware that they can take that perk away at any time. but I have to believe that a large percentage of new direct buyers, bought direct for that particular discount. Disney i'm sure is well aware of this, so I don't see them doing away with that discount anytime soon.

How often are/were you going to buy an AP? Every year? For how long?

Very very rough calculations:
If you had bought that 75-pt contract direct, then compared to a $110/pt resale today, it would have taken you 4.68 years to "break even" by saving $800 on two APs every year.
If you buy a 100-pt contract direct today, then compared to that same $110/pt resale, it will take you 6.25 years to "break even" by saving $800 on two APs every year.

I recognize that buying 100-pts is still spending $4k more, and discounts on APs can change in the future. However I think 2 more years of APs is still within the realm of reason if you think you'll actually buy one every year.

But here's the thing: I disagree with you slightly. I believe that while most direct buyers will say the AP discount is their primary reason for buying, it's really just the pride of owning a blue card and the fear of being left out by not being a "full DVC member." It's true when others say that your vacation habits can and will change. I do not think that a lot of members actually do end up buying an AP every year. You have no kids... do you not think that after 3-4 years you won't want to travel elsewhere?

I'm with a lot of ppl in this thread. You can't go wrong with resale, so at least buy a resale contract first. If DVC raises the minimum again, you'll at least be better prepared and more knowledgeable to decide if you want to pull the trigger on direct then.

How is it $800 yearly savings for 2 people?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!