Feeding the "Beast": End-of-trip review and summary

Wow - your second room sounds like it's exactly where I REQUESTED our room - now, if only that's what we get tomorrow!

Thanks for the excellent Trip Report - I wish I could read it through to the end of your stay - but I have to wake up 7 hours from now and go start a trip of our own! Our plane leave in less than 10 hours . . . . and as the little kid in the WDW commercial says: "I'm too excited to sleep".

Fingers crossed that we get the room & view we're hoping for -

"I'm going to Disneyworld!"

-Derek :yay: :yay: :banana: :banana: :yay: :yay: :woohoo: :woohoo: :yay: :yay: :dance3: :yay: :yay:

:wave2:

Day 3 Monday Columbus Day (part 1)

We put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door, closed the drapes real tight (goodnight giraffe, goodnight zebra), and slept as long as we could. Our planned event for today: Lunch with an Imagineer at the Hollywood Brown Derby in MGM. We had read about this opportunity on Allears. That was scheduled for 11:30, so we figured if we arrived at the AKL bus stop at 10:30, that would give us enough time in case the busses were slow again.

When we arrived at MGM, we saw a number of characters out around the hat: Daisy Duck, Chicken Little and Abbey Mallard, and Mickey Mouse and Goofy in Year of Million Dreams outfits (like from the Dream Along with Mickey castle stage show). However, since we had needed to sleep in, we didn’t leave any time for characters—it was off to Lunch with the Imagineer!

Our Imagineer was Joe Wilson. He worked in the visual arts area of Imagineering (art and design) as a “principal concept designer”. He was actually trained in interior design. As many as 8 guests can dine with the Imagineer in the Bamboo Room at the Brown Derby. We met a brother and sister from TN as well as a very “interesting” family from UK (mom and 2 sons).
97002LunchwJoe.jpg

First—the food: It was quite a spread for lunch! First, we had Mulligatawny Soup. Second came the “individual” classic Cobb salad (which was big enough to be a meal in itself). Third, we were given the choice of 3 entrees: NY strip steak, Thai noodle bowl with chicken, or pan-fired grouper. I had the grouper and DP had the noodle bowl. Both were excellent. Finally, we were served a vanilla crème brûlée for dessert. All of it was excellent, though way more than any one person needed to eat, especially for lunch! I also learned about a yummy new non-alcoholic drink: the Arnold Palmer—half lemonade and half ice tea. (Can I just say here that I love that they serve Minute Maid Light lemonade at Disney!)

Next—the company: Joe was very interesting. We learned that there are about 20 imagineers who volunteered for the Lunch program, and it happens 3 times a week (Mon-Wed-Fri), so he gets a free lunch about every 7 weeks or so. If you ever wondered about how Disney puts together the ideas they come up with out in Glendale, do this lunch! We learned all about the artwork and design he has done, including the poster he did for the American Adventure. You can see it at the attraction in Epcot and still purchase the poster in the gift shop.
97002AAposter.jpg

As far as the other guests go, the TN-ans were similar to us, in that they were Disney lovers who had a interest in knowing more. (They had a particular love of the Haunted Mansion.) Now the Brits… they were another story. They were all in film school and had made films together. They kept pushing Joe to tell them how to get a job in filmmaking at Disney. They wanted him to write and put in a good word for them. They were very pushy at lunch, and kept talking about how this meal/interview(?) was the highlight of their trip. Since Joe wasn’t really in that department, he didn’t really have any good answers for them, but they weren’t phased. Sadly, I’m not sure they really knew what they were doing, because apparently they told the TN-ans (as they told us later) that they had been to Disney Quest and “met with the Animators there and had an interview”. To our new friends from TN, this sounded like they had been talking to the people who run the “learn to drawn the characters” area on the lower floor of Disney Quest. Joe told us that there aren’t any Animators in Orlando anymore (they used to be part of this Lunch series as well)—all of that work, along with the “blue sky” ideas that may never come to fruition, is done in Glendale, CA. Once it makes it to Orlando, they know they want it to happen, they just need to figure out how to “make it work”, as Tim Gunn from Project Runway would say.

At the end of the meal, we were given a nice plate personally inscribed by Joe. I highly recommend this experience!
97002plate.jpg

Next, we headed back to AKL to meet up with my aunt and uncle who live in Orlando. They had never been to AKL before. The one time my aunt had been to Animal Kingdom was right after it opened, and they didn’t have any live animals, just fake ones. Apparently, when AK first opened, they had lots of trouble taking care of the animals because they didn’t have any experience in that area. I guess it was all over the Orlando newspapers as a big scandal. How surprised were my aunt and uncle to see how far Disney has come!

We walked all around AKL—we showed them our room and the pool area. We went to look at all the different savannahs. We went out to the Arusha rock area to check out the Arusha savannah, we walked to the end of the Zebra trail to see the baby giraffe and the ankole cattle on the Uzima savannah, and finally, we walked out to the end of the Kudu trail to see the infamous FECAL FLATS.
97002FFmap.jpg

I'm leaving you all in suspense for the next installment:
"The Secret of Fecal Flats"

The Secret of Fecal Flats

We had walked down to the end of the Kudu trail to show my aunt and uncle our “bad” view. While admiring the chain-link fences, we saw 2 of the animal care-takers pull up to the fenced-in area with a truck.
97002fences.jpg

They saw us standing in the exterior stairwell at the end of the Kudu trail. “Hi! You’ve picked a great place to stop and watch the animals! No one usually comes out here, but we have a secret project that we’ve been working on.”
97002hogstogether.jpg

It turns out that Disney had started a secret colony of Red River Hogs in 2004.
97002hogsline.jpg

There are only about 100 Red River Hogs in captivity in the world. None of these Hogs were in “mixed species” environments. So, when they first brought the hogs to AKL, they kept them in the small fenced in area. The other animals stayed away from the fenced in area (i.e. Fecal Flats). Over time, they became used to the hogs and began to return to that area. (Albeit, to poop.) Disney was worried that the other animals might be aggressive with the hogs. Or, that the giraffes wouldn’t see them and would kick them. Because the giraffes are so much bigger, even an unintentional kick could do a fair amount of damage to the much smaller hog. Eventually, they released the hogs from the fenced in area. The hogs seem to know how to stay out of the giraffe’s way and are doing alright.
97002giraffehogs.jpg

So, they started with 3 hogs—1 male and 2 females. Well, the hogs have done very well at AKL, and now the (polygamist) male has 2 families, as each female has had a litter of piglets. Now there are 10 hogs! That means AKL has 10% of all the Red River hogs in captivity. However, the 2 females, now that they both have litters, do not get along. So, only 1 family of hogs can be let out onto the Savannah at a time. The male gets to come out every day, and the other mom and piglets stays inside. They still have all the fencing up because they have a complicated system to bring one hog family out and send the other hog family in.

So, the secret of Fecal Flats is that it is the special secret hideaway for Red River Hogs. The hog project used to be so secret that you couldn’t find any information on the hogs. While they are still not listed on the “animal-finding” sheet that is provided in the rooms, they are featured on the AKL TV channel that shows all the animals. The hogs don’t really leave the “Fecal Flats” area at all, even though they are free to roam the Sunset savannah.

So… the verdict on the Fecal Flats is: Great for breeding hogs, not so great for guests.

We also went to the exterior stairwell at the end of the Zebra trail and saw the baby giraffe. And, we saw an Elan up close at Arusha rock.
97002babygiraffe.jpg
97002elan.jpg

My aunt and uncle had to head back home. We decided that, since we had only been to the Magic Kingdom for maybe 20 minutes of Spectromagic, and it was already the third day of our trip, we needed to get to MK!

Those outdoor staircases are GREAT for animal viewing!

I agree that the rooms in the Fecal Flats area shouldn't be charged full savannah view price!

Thanks for your review! Really enjoyed it.
Also, thanks for your tips on my post about AP,CG or Jiko! I'm still working on trying to fit all of them in! After reading about Flying Fish we'd like to get there too! I know it's just tooo much! :lmao:

I have a question about Princess Breakfast at Akershus. Do I understand that it wasn't served family style anymore?

shovan said:
Thanks for your review! Really enjoyed it.
Also, thanks for your tips on my post about AP,CG or Jiko! I'm still working on trying to fit all of them in! After reading about Flying Fish we'd like to get there too! I know it's just tooo much! :lmao:

I have a question about Princess Breakfast at Akershus. Do I understand that it wasn't served family style anymore?

I promise... I will write more soon! My friends and I are trying to turn our hobby of crocheting into a small business-- we have our first craft show booth this weekend! As soon as that's done....
I need to get it finished before we go on the next trip in Dec!

PSB is still served family style, all you can eat. It's just served on large serving plates, instead of in those cool iron skillets.

Alright... our next Disney trip is only 7 days away, so I have 6 days to finish writing this trip report....

Now that we're stuffed with turkey, this may be a good time. :)

I'm starting to feel like Kimmar!

The end of Day 3

Finally… first I want to apologize for taking so long to finish this report. I’m starting to feel like Kimmar, but with no good excuse! My reason: my friends and I have started a crochet “business,” and we had our first craft show recently! We actually sold a number of necklaces, scarves, and hats! The goal is to use our hobby to make money to fund our Disney vacations…

Alright. We’ve been at WDW for 3 days now, and we’ve only been to Magic Kingdom for 20 minutes to see Spectromagic. This is definitely wrong. While the goal was to have a non-commando-style trip, I did realize that it is important to get to all the parks in the first couple of days. Otherwise, we start to feel like we can’t relax because we are not seeing the parks! Having to wait for bus transportation and lacking the flexibility of a rental car did not help.

I think these choices affected my impression of AKL at first—as I have thought about it more, I realize this had nothing to do with AKL, so I will not let it cloud my opinion of the hotel, which we really did like. The few things that I did not like about AKL were: the glare in the lobby, the fact that you had to go outside to get to The Mara, the fact that some of the rooms were quite a hike from the lobby even if they were all in the same building. The things I liked: the décor/theme, the animals, the room, the food (and we didn’t even get around to trying Boma!), and the fact that the hotel is all in one building (we could walk to the lobby without going outside). I would like to stay here again, but I think we need to try some more hotels first. We are hoping to try them all! I think we may be waiting until after we see what happens with the DVC construction at AKL. I do want to go on the Sunrise and Sunset safaris eventually. We’ll just have to drive out to Boma on our next trip and take that opportunity to see the animals and try some of the other things we missed. I’ll probably go over that at the end of the trip report (if I ever get there!).

Ok—so we are off to the Magic Kingdom to soak in some Disney-ness! We were able to bypass the bus on this trip as my aunt and uncle offered to drop us off at MK—actually at the Contemporary Resort, so it was a quick walk into MK.

As we entered the park, they were rounding people up for the “Family Fun Day Parade”. We decided to skip on through to Adventureland to meet some characters! We were scheduled to attend Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party the next night, so we thought we would get a head start on character-hunting!

First, we met Captain Hook, who was having a scurvy time interacting with guests. He sure is a troublemaker! (Unfortunately, that leads to long character lines!) We did get to see some of the Pirate Tutorial. It was a fun time and had a lot of guest interaction. After Captain Hook, it was time to ride the “new and improved” Pirates of the Caribbean! I thought the new beginning of the ride was great! The projection of Davy Jones on the steam really looked like you were going to go through a waterfall and get wet!

After POTC, we met Wendy. She was hiding from Captain Hook around the backside of POTC. After this, we went over to the Castle front court to see the new show: Dream Along with Mickey. I would say this show was disappointing. It won’t be “one for the ages.” In fact, I think they might regret the new blue costumes. They looked dated even though they were brand new! Sadly, though, it was a step up from Cinderellabration. I hated Cb. I thought it was stupid and didn’t live up my expectations in any way shape or form. The new show used exactly the same stage set. (I still don’t get the fireworks in the daytime.) It was nice to see some characters beyond the Princesses in the show. I did feel like they were pushing the “pirate/princess” theme already. The new castle show was PP-themed, the new interactive shows are PP themed (Pirate tutorial, Let’s have a ball), and I’ve even heard that the Flower and Garden show is PP-themed! I’m afraid of being overwhelmed…

Next, we rode the Jungle Cruise. Our skipper was Shanti (sp?) who had an excellent sense of humor and sarcasm—perfect for the Jungle Cruise! After that, we were back to character hunting. Buzz Lightyear was out in front of Carousel of Progress. Abbey Mallard was in front of the Toontown sign. We made a quick detour at this point through Pooh’s Playful Spot. We had learned earlier that day from Joe at the Imagineer lunch that there was a “tribute” to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (which still exists somewhat behind Pooh’s). To find it, we had to climb inside the tree. I think a number of parents and children were a bit confused as to why 2 grown-ups were crawling into the tree, but after scouring the walls we found the Nautilus!
97002Nautilus.jpg

You can just make out the shape of a submarine as an indentation in the wall above the entrance to the tree.

Previously, we had heard tales of the glorious Chicken Strips at Cosmic Ray’s. In July, we gave these a try—they were excellent! Now it was time to put the Pinocchio Haus Chicken Strips to the test… and they were just as excellent! While Sonny Delight was amusing, I think we prefer overlooking the Small World boats or sitting in the Figaro room (hooray for cats!).

Sidenote: With the demotion of Pluto, will they have to change the Planetary Boogie?

We finished off the night with Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. Here's our view:
97002SpaceMountain.jpg

We try to see the SFR tree house every time we go, because eventually it will be overtaken by Tarzan, like the one at Disneyland. We stayed for a viewing of Wishes, did some shopping, and went to bed. Tomorrow would be an early day, because we had a Segway Tour scheduled at Epcot! We didn’t want another replay of the Princess Storybook Breakfast debacle, so this time we would be prepared for slow Epcot busses.

Day 4: Segway Day!

Today we had to be up bright and early to get to EPCOT to go on the Around the World Segway Tour! Fortunately, we did not have trouble with the AKL busses this morning. We arrived at EPCOT with plenty of time to reach Guest Relations—where we were supposed to meet up for the tour. It was actually EMH that morning, so they were telling folks to run over to Mission Space or Test Track to get fast passes. We decided to take a quick shopping trip to MouseGear instead. Once everyone had assembled, the Guest Relations cast members led us all to Innoventions, where we watched a video about the Segways. Then, it was time to practice on the Segways indoors. Surprisingly, they were fairly easy to use. First they have you go forwards and backwards and turn around. Next, we went up and down a ramp. Also, we learned how to slalom between some cones. Then, we had to practice getting off the Segway and leading it over an obstacle. Last, we did the Limbo on our Segways! Finally, they let us out into the unsuspecting crowds!

We had to start in a single file line between our two guides until we reached the closed area of the World Showcase. Once there, we had 3 different areas of “obstacle courses” to go through: the gardens in China, the gardens of Japan, and then a “free for all” out in front of Italy. This was our opportunity to push the Segway riding to our limit! I found my limit alright, when I almost crashed into the Champagne stand! Oops… I got going a little too fast and forgot that leaning backwards makes you stop! Actually, the Segways have different color keys that determine how fast you can go on them. Our keys only let us go a maximum of 5.5 miles/hour. We got the classic Segway Tour photo out in front of Italy!
segway.jpg

The Segway tour was so awesome! Everyone should do this tour! By the end of the 2 hours, my legs were a bit stiff from using only my feet to control the Segway. However, I totally want to do the tour again!

After the Segway tour, we walked over towards the International Gateway. We stopped and had a few Food & Wine snacks. We decided to try the Italy to Turkey third for this trip through F&W. First, at Italy, we tried the Eggplant Timbale, which was tasty. Next, we tried the Lobster Roll at the USA booth—I haven’t been to the Northeast in quite some time, so this brought back some memories. Finally, we split a Pistachio Baklava from Morocco. I think in the end Greece had the better baklava. (Being from southeast Michigan, we have pretty extensive experience with Mediterranean/Arabic food.)

Since we did not get to see the characters at MGM yesterday before lunch, we decided to take the boat from the IG over to MGM. DP was very disappointed that we did not get to see Daisy yesterday, but today made up for it! We also saw Chip and Dale and Clarice (but we couldn’t get their autograph).
clarice.jpg

Finally, we met Woody over by Al’s Toy Barn! Lightning McQueen and Mater were also driving around. They had already started putting up the Osbourne Lights on some of the streets. After this character hunting, we decided we needed to go back and take a quick nap before Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party!

We stopped at the Mara to fill up our mug and…. Drumroll….. try the ever-heralded ZEBRA DOMES! The ZDs actually came with another interesting treat called Chocolate Crunch. We whisked them up to our room (can I once again say how convenient our new room location was?) to try them!

I have to say, I think I preferred the Chocolate Crunch to the Zebra Dome… Sacrilege, I know! I think it was the higher chocolate to mocha ratio… However, they were both quite excellent!

DP napped while I finished sewing the end of my MNSSHP costume and watched the animals on the savannah from the balcony.
zebraview.jpg

Next up… MNSSHP!

I was extra naughty and read your report, even though work is PILING up on me! I just HAD to! hee hee! :blush:

Day 4 Part 2 Hooray for Characters!

It was time for MNSSHP! My DP and I decided to go as Pooh and a honey bee. We put on our costumes and boarded the bus for Magic Kingdom. We got a few funny looks, but the bus driver really enjoyed our costumes! She was very nice and wished us a fun time at the party! We got to MK just at 4PM. They had special lines set up for people coming in with MNSSHP tickets. We got our wristbands and we were off!
97002MNSSHP.jpg

For this party, we were totally going Character Commando! The only other thing we wanted to do was see the parade and fireworks. Otherwise, candy and rides were superfluous! (Of course, it’s hard to *not* get candy at MNSSHP.) We happened to walk by the end of Let’s Have a Ball and saw Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip! We also got Captain Hook and Mr. Smee along with Wendy and Peter. We had time to see Genie, too before our Liberty Tree Tavern dinner!
97002AuroraPhillip.jpg

At LTT we saw lots of familiar faces, and lots more costumed guests! (So this is where they were all hiding out!) First, we saw our TN friends from the Imagineer lunch! They had EXCELLENT costumes—Snow White, the Evil Queen (their mom), and the Huntsman! I would include their picture, but I don’t know if they would think it’s ok. Then, once we sat down, we realized we had exactly the same waiter as we had when we came to LTT before MNSSHP last year! How funny is that! I don’t think he remembered it though. We enjoyed the always tasty Thanksgiving-esque fare and met Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Chip. We got a picture in front of Cinderella’s coach over in Fantasyland next to Small World.
97002Coach.jpg

We had to ride Winnie the Pooh, and then we met the Seven Dwarves and the Evil Queen from Snow White!
970027Dwarves.jpg

Over in Adventureland, they had indoor “Character Trails” where you could meet characters and get candy. There were 3 different stations that you came upon as you wound your way through a maze of tall tropical potted plants. First we met Baloo, then Rafiki, and finally Terk. But, as we were waiting for Terk, we saw that Rafiki had switched places with Timon! So, we had to get back in line. Now, by the time we got back in line, Baloo had switched with King Louie as well. And, Jane had joined Terk. Well, as we were walking out Tarzan was walking in to join Jane, so we had to get in line for a third time to meet Tarzan as well! By the time we got around to him, Tarzan was getting ready to leave. Oh no! But, the character handlers remembered us (on our third time through the line) and made sure that we got in before he left! Tarzan was pretty funny. When we asked for his autograph (because we already had Jane and Terk), he said, “Tarzan good at signing name. Jane teach Tarzan. Tarzan practice over and over and over again.”
97002TarzanEtc.jpg

Next up, we met Aladdin, Jesse, Pooh and Eeyore. Pooh was in his bumblebee costume.
97002PoohEeyore.jpg

Then we met the Tweedles, Alice, and the White Rabbit. We went back for Piglet and Tigger. Somewhere in there, we watched the parade and the fireworks (HalloWishes is still my all time favorite fireworks show) and managed to accumulate 2 very full bags of candy! I did wish that there would have been 2 MNSSHPs during the course of our trip (maybe we should have planned that better), because I felt the same way I did last year—that I wished we could have gone again! Plus, I would have loved to see HalloWishes again. The candy selection this year was much poorer than last year, we thought. Not as much name-brand chocolate, and more filler, including disgusting gummy hamburgers. Ewww. Not even my friends at work would eat those when I brought them home.

It was time to take the bus back to AKL. We were tired, and we only had 1 park day left!

Day 5: Wednesday: The last full day

It was our last park day, so we had to begin at the Magic Kingdom. We rode some our favorites again (Small World, Splash Mountain) and even met Brer Fox by the Frontierland Shooting Gallery.
97002BrerFox.jpg

We headed off to Epcot to finish up the Food & Wine festival. We saw 2 wine seminars that were interesting later that afternoon: Boutique Wineries and Inniskillin Icewines. While waiting for them to begin, we tried to find out about the preview for the new Nemo ride at Epcot. They were having a “special people” preview. The AP preview wasn’t scheduled to begin until Friday, and we tried to ask about getting it to see it, but no luck. Maybe if we had gone to Guest Relations and begged, we could have gotten something, but we wanted to go to the seminars, so we skipped it. And we knew we would have a chance to see it when we were back in December.
97002NemoSeas.jpg

The wine seminars were quite fun and interesting. The Boutique winery that was featured was the Rudd Winery. We got to try some very expensive wines, which was cool. Then, we went over and finished out the last set of Food & Wine booths. We had escargots provencal and crème brulee au chocolat from France. We also tried the hot & sour chicken noodle salad from Thailand. We had pork pot stickers in China. Finally, we tried the traditional kjottkaker (meatballs) from Scandinavia. Yum!

We stopped by the Festival Wine Shop to look into buying some wine to take home. In the past, we were able to carry it home on the plane. However, the TSA had just instituted the “no liquids, gels, etc.” rule for carry-ons, and we didn’t know how we would get it home. Unfortunately, the folks (including the manager) at the Wine Shop didn’t know either. They said we should call the airline to see. Of course, calling the general airline people isn’t going to help when you are walking through the security line at MCO and get stopped by the TSA. They also didn’t have any reasonable packaging for either shipping the wine or checking it. So, that was a bit disappointing. I think they must have lost a lot of sales from people who couldn’t take the wine home on the plane. (They certainly did from us!) I was surprised they weren’t prepared to help people get it home.
97002FW.jpg

It was time to return to the seminar building for Inniskillin Icewine. Now, we didn’t know anything about icewine before going. But, we learned that the reason it is so expensive is that they only get one-tenth of the yield of regular wine. They actually let the grapes freeze on the vine. Like all wine stuff, there are all sorts of rules that have to be followed so that you can call it “icewine”. This particular winery was from Canada, so it seemed fitting that right after the wine tasting, we headed over to Le Cellier for a Canadian dinner!

Le Cellier was excellent, as usual. This time we dined in the Northwest Territories section. We each had a bowl of the cheese soup with the tasty pretzel bread to start. Then we had the filet and mushroom filet for entrees, followed by dessert. DP had a Torontopolitan, and I had some wine that turned out to be from the same winery that makes the Inniskillin icewine. The reason we knew this was that the women who had just been making the Inniskillin presentation ended up sitting at the table next to ours! They were dining with some of the F&W organizers.

It was time to take the bus back to AKL and do a little packing before going to sleep. When we got back to AKL, the Magical Express packet was on our door. The bus would pick us up at 12:30 PM (for a 3:30 PM flight). We decided that it would be too difficult to get up, pack up, check-in, and get to the Grand Floridian for a 10AM breakfast at Park Fare. Plus, we’d have to rush to get back and get on the bus. So we canceled that reservation for the next morning. We looked out the window to say goodnight to the giraffes and went to sleep.
97002NightGiraffe.jpg

Great report!! You guys met a TON of characters!!!

I was so sad when our Magical Express hanger was on our door, it meant the end was near... :guilty:

Day 6: Time to Say Goodbye

We were tired from trying to cram in as much as we could, but it was time to go home. We packed up our room, and I had to call down to the front desk for a copy of our receipt. They had us down for Express Checkout, but the receipt wasn’t delivered to our room. The folks at the front desk said they would send one right up. An hour later, we were all packed and ready to leave, but still no receipt. So I called down to the front desk again, and they said just to stop by and pick it up. We went downstairs to the airline check-in desk, got our boarding passes, checked our 3 bags, and were ready to go. The resort airline check-in is great! It’s wonderful to get rid of your bags as soon as you are ready to go in the morning. It makes it so much easier to go to the airport and not wait in line to check your bags, not drag your bags around to the security station, and just go straight through the security checkpoint.

I went up to the front desk to get the receipt, but they couldn’t find it. They had to print it out again. I would say that in all of our interactions the folks at the AKL were not necessarily the best. After all this, we were too late for breakfast at Boma, so we decided to head down to the Mara to get something to eat. We missed breakfast there, so we were on to lunch. We got the tandoori chicken pizza, African house salad, and the squash soup. The soup was fantastic! I actually expected it to be similar to the soup from Jiko, but it was totally different. It was thick like a bisque and sweet—it kind of tasted like zucchini bread batter… Yummy!

Then, we were off to meet the DME bus. We got on, made a quick stop at Pop Century, and headed off to the airport. At the airport, things were quiet. We had plenty of time to browse through the shops. Happily, we found Lush! If anyone hasn’t been there, it is on the far side of the food court in between the two security points. It’s an excellent bath product store, with all natural products, from Canada. They have only recently expanded into the US. And, they repackaged everything so that it was in 3 oz containers and could be take on the plane.

When we landed in Detroit and went to pick up our bags, we were 1 bag short. We went over to the Northwest counter to report the missing bag. However, NW had no record of our bag—it had never been scanned by the airline. In fact, none of our bags had been scanned, even the two that traveled with us on the plane. Weird. I called AKL to make sure it wasn’t sitting in the back room there. They looked, and all the luggage that the airlines control were gone. The bag must have made it to the airport, because it eventually appeared in Detroit and they delivered it to our house the next day.

Ok… it’s time to sum up our trip to AKL! All in all, I would say that I did not enjoy AKL as much as I would have hoped or expected. We felt that it was kind of far away from all the Disney stuff. Also, using the busses did not work well for us. We spent too much time waiting for them and traveling from place to place. I missed being able to go to Downtown Disney. We didn’t even try to take that bus, because there just wasn’t time. The fact that we didn’t have a rental car and that we only stayed for 5 nights instead of 7 definitely negatively impacted our trip as well, but when I separate those things out, I still feel like I didn’t get as much Disney-ness from AKL as I would have hoped. I don’t think it was just that we had room trouble the first night—we had to switch rooms after the first night on our last trip to BC, but I really liked that hotel. I think the remoteness of it really got to me. I wish it felt more connected to AK—it’s a shame there isn’t a way to have a walkway or something between the hotel and the park. It’s hard, because I didn’t feel like we had enough time to see the parks, or enough time to see the hotel. If we go back to AKL, it would probably be concierge so that we could do the sunrise/sunset safaris. Right now, we are working on trying out as many of the resorts as possible. Our next trip is scheduled for the Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian. We actually just got back yesterday! Keep an eye our for my next trip report! It should be appearing shortly!

The End. :)

Great report! I'm looking forward to reading the next one. :sunny:

I'm sorry to hear of your not so great experiences at AKL. I think it's a toss up for people on the location. DH and I loved it because it was a bit more remote, and we thought the busses were excellent. However, we had NOTHING to compare it to, being Newbies.

Have you stayed at the Boardwalk before? What did you think of it? We went there on our last day and we both loved the hotel and the atmosphere of it (not to mention the INCREDIBLE BAKERY!), and hope to stay there on a future trip.

Speaking of my last day...I should really work on my TR. I still have our Magic Kingdom and Boardwalk days to write about!

Hi All,

This report is all done, but you can check out my next report on our Christmastime trip to WL and Poly!

Gosh I love those APs! :)

(the link is in my siggie)
:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter