Feedback on DCL half day Pompeii excursion

rammh

Mouseketeer
Looking for feedback on this excursion as opposed to booking privately
Thanks!

braysmommy

DIS Veteran
We hired a driver for the day which still wasn't enough time! Off ASAP and started the day at Mt. Vesuvius beating all the buses there. We drove to Pompeii next and spent the majority of our day there. Amalfi coast is on our vacation list for land based trip.

rammh

Mouseketeer
I would do all day in a heartbeat. I have a 15 year old son that I am literally dragging on this trip so I am trying to take that I to consideration. We are already doing Paris and Rome the week before so I know we will be starting to get tired by then.

• braysmommy

DIS Veteran
    My DS was 8 so I get the tiredness factor! This was the stop he was most looking forward to but coaxed him with cinnamon rolls every morning to wake up.

InDisneyDenial

Earning My Ears
    I did the half day Pompeii with dcl in September of 2017. There was about 30-40 in our group with a very knowledgeable local guide. He managed to give us a great tour in a half day, and helped us avoid all the other groups that were there:)

rammh

Mouseketeer
    GREAT! Thank you- that was what I was looking for. I just want to make sure we can hear him/her and get good info. a private company is about $100 less but I think the group size is the same and I have a lot of Disney reward dollars to use... LOL

• GPaLarry

Have earned one ear!
    Another option might be Herculaneum, instead of Pompeii. The crowds and vendors are less and the ruins look identical to Pompeii's. I know, it isn't the original, but it has an identical history. We did the original with DCL and it seemed hurried and certainly busy with loads of other tourists. If you do it, look for the grooves in the stones between the steppingstones in the streets...real proof that many chariots crossed that way. It does have its fascinating facets.

tlprice

DIS Veteran
    We went on our own and followed Rick Steves' Audio Europe tour of Pompeii. We loved doing it this way because we could go at our own pace and skip things if we wanted. My daughter really hates herd tour groups and gets really antsy when she has to wait around for other people or listen to things she's not interested in. (We also used Rick Steves' Audio Europe tour at the Colosseum and in the Sistine Chapel. Just make sure you download them before your trip--they're free, and that you have headphones so you can listen at the sites.)

GPaLarry

Have earned one ear!
    Huge fan of Rick Steves for almost all your European destinations...books, videos and TV shows. Wish I had his job!!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!

CASTAWAY CAY PHOTOS

DECK PLANS

STATEROOMS

ITINERARIES