"Feds May Suspend New Border Rules To Ease Passport Crunch"

Anjelica

DIS Veteran
From a website of our local newstation (i'm sure its elsewhere).

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=121356

I know some folks will be happy to hear this and I am happy for those on this board who mean no ill-will to our security, etc.

BUT...I just wonder when they will ever finally get this implemented. I agree that having U.S. Citizens with passports is just a safer way of "doing it" then how we "do it" now. Maybe by the time my daughter is 16 (she's 4) they will finally have put this into place...LOL

I have NO sympathy for the people who cry because their summer vacation will be ruined because of passports. This has been coming since 2005. If they waited then it's their own fault and they have only themselves to blame!

I think it's crazy they are calling their congressmen or women having a fit also.

A good friend of ours applied for his passport in late February. He has already passed 12 weeks and they told him 8-10 weeks when he applied. He doesn't leave until September but he is still getting worried. In his case he applied in plenty of time but still does not have it.

It not gets the wait for the passport in also the appointment to get a passport. My trip is in september. I try to get an appointment in Dec last year. The earliest i could get was the end of april. Around here all passport agency are by appointment only it been 6 week. hope it comes soon

This new suspension evidently won't affect cruisers to the Caribbean. According to the article, Caribbean destinations are not included in the proposed suspension. So, the January 2008 date will still apply.

I also agree with pp about people waiting until the last minute to get their passports when there has been plenty of warning.

I intend to apply for my passport this month. That gives the feds 8 months to process my applcation before I leave on my cruise.

This new suspension evidently won't affect cruisers to the Caribbean. According to the article, Caribbean destinations are not included in the proposed suspension. So, the January 2008 date will still apply.

This is a suspension of the current rules that AIR travelers have passports - current cruisers are not required to have a passport. This doesn't effect the proposed changes.

The January 1, 2008 requirement will change so that everyone crossing the border by car or boat will need a passport. That deadline is still advertised as "planned" even on the state department's website:

"as early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security." (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html)

note the word "may"

Barb

DMIL is applying for her passport tomorrow after getting her "letter of no record" and finding the census record that says she really was born in Oklahoma. (Nobody was trying to sneak in in 1930 so it's pretty reliable). We don't sail till October 6 so hopefully it will get here in time.

DS and DDIL applied for theirs in early April and still haven't heard anything. Hopefully they will get theirs in the next couple of months.

If they can use their passport receipt and a photo ID, then I would feel a lot better about the whole process.

A few things pop out to me in this.

"A proposal set to be announced as early as Friday will temporarily waive a requirement that U.S. passports be used for air travel to and from Canada and Mexico, provided the traveler can prove he or she has already applied for a passport, officials said Thursday."

"A proposal set to be announced as early as Friday will temporarily waive a requirement that U.S. passports be used for air travel to and from Canada and Mexico, provided the traveler can prove he or she has already applied for a passport, officials said Thursday"

"Caribbean destinations are not included in the suspension, the officials said"

So what is the point of this? Your still going to have to fork over the money for the passport to show you have applied. It's only for air travel and the Caribbean is NOT included in it.

The main point for some of us is that we can stop worrying about whether the passports arrive or not. With hearing 12-14 weeks, I get uncomfortable sailing 16 weeks from now with MIL just applying.

I get that for the time frame wait will ease up for people.

But the biggest cry for people is the cost of a passport. That isn't being suspended, as people will still have to fork out the money to get the passport paperwork.

It doesn't apply to the Bahamas, St. Martaan, or Grand Caymon. If something was to happen you still would have to go through a big ordeal to fly home from any of those ports. Just for the few days that a Western cruise spends in Mexico.

The main point for some of us is that we can stop worrying about whether the passports arrive or not. With hearing 12-14 weeks, I get uncomfortable sailing 16 weeks from now with MIL just applying.

But how will this proposed suspension help you? Your only need for a passport is in an emergency if you need to fly home - and the Carribean is not part of this exemption

Barb

We applied May 1 with travel plans in Dec. :) The thing that bothers me is that my one and only "official" copy of my birth certificate is out there in neverland. I just hope I don't need it anytime soon!

Friends of ours are going on a cruise in 10 days. Last Feb they decided to apply for passports. Of course they still have not arrived. When I told them they only need an official birth certificate, they reminded me that their only copy is with their passport application!:scared1: I suggested they quickly obtain another copy of their birth certificate because their passports may not arrive in time.

Sorry but I don't agree with suspending anything. Folks have known long enough that passports were going to be needed and if they did not get them then let them stay home. Those waiting until the last minute to worry about this are now the ones paying for it. So be it. Very rarely does someone decide to go to Europe at the last minute. People plan for cruises years in advance.

Of course, our wonderful :mad: border patrol cannot seem to keep people out who aren't supposed to be allowed back in. *COUGH COUGH*

We are in the process of starting our passport plans now! We plan on traveling in March '08. Hopefully its enough time! If not, we can only blame ourselves! My DH is the one dragging his feet, he says it will only take a few weeks.:confused3 I don't think they should push the guidelines off any longer, all they are saying is "go ahead take your time, when Jan comes around we'll extend it another year".

I'm NOT sending my ONLY copy of our Birth Certificates either. I think that would be very silly!!!!!!!:sad2:

And we will sit back and wait!popcorn:: See if we get our passports in time!

It not gets the wait for the passport in also the appointment to get a passport. My trip is in september. I try to get an appointment in Dec last year. The earliest i could get was the end of april. Around here all passport agency are by appointment only it been 6 week. hope it comes soon

You know the passport window at 30th St Station post office in Phila is open until midnight? No appt needed. Of course if you lived closer it might be a better option for you.

A few things pop out to me in this.

"A proposal set to be announced as early as Friday will temporarily waive a requirement that U.S. passports be used for air travel to and from Canada and Mexico, provided the traveler can prove he or she has already applied for a passport, officials said Thursday."

"A proposal set to be announced as early as Friday will temporarily waive a requirement that U.S. passports be used for air travel to and from Canada and Mexico, provided the traveler can prove he or she has already applied for a passport, officials said Thursday"

"Caribbean destinations are not included in the suspension, the officials said"

So what is the point of this? Your still going to have to fork over the money for the passport to show you have applied. It's only for air travel and the Caribbean is NOT included in it.

Well actually, you don't have to fork over the money if you're fairly handy with a computer...all they need to see is a "receipt" (ie web printout) that shows the passport application is being processed.

Two things: (a) considering how many people have used a fake boarding pass to go through airport security in order to meet/see off a loved one :rolleyes1 it's a fairly simple effort to produce a passport application receipt; also (b) APPLYING for a passport doesn't necessarily mean BEING ISSUED a passport!

We applied May 1 with travel plans in Dec. :) The thing that bothers me is that my one and only "official" copy of my birth certificate is out there in neverland. I just hope I don't need it anytime soon!

DH's expires in a few months. He's been debating about going to the Aurora State Dept Passport Agency office to get the renewal in person.

applied for her 3rd renewal (passport for those under 18 expire at 18 even if it isn't 10 years) almost 14 weeks ago. Her trip isn't until the end of July so there shouldn't be a problem - but folks its a renewal! They have been given the information about who she is at least 2x before, it shouldn't be this hard.:eek: I suspect that some clerk got a hold of her Child Born Abroad of American Parents form and hadn't ever seen it before and despite the fact this will be her 3rd passport has put it in the neverland pile.

applied for her 3rd renewal (passport for those under 18 expire at 18 even if it isn't 10 years) almost 14 weeks ago. Her trip isn't until the end of July so there shouldn't be a problem - but folks its a renewal! They have been given the information about who she is at least 2x before, it shouldn't be this hard.:eek: I suspect that some clerk got a hold of her Child Born Abroad of American Parents form and hadn't ever seen it before and despite the fact this will be her 3rd passport has put it in the neverland pile.

I've never heard about passports expiring at age 18. You can renew by mail if you were over age 16 when the original passport was issued:

You can renew by mail if: Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport within the past 15 years; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.

I got an email on this today.

USA Today reports this morning that U.S. officials are discussing a temporary waiver of new passport rules due to the enormous backlog in passport applications and processing. Under the new rules being considered, American citizens would be permitted to fly without passports through Sept. 30 if they can show a receipt proving they have applied for a passport. People using this loophole would still be required to show other government-issued ID (like a driver’s license), and they would probably undergo more scrutiny than other passengers and have their bags checked more thoroughly. Right now, the temporary suspension would apply only for trips to Canada and Mexico, not the Caribbean and other destinations. Travel industry experts say the current backlog will pale in comparison to what may happen next year, when passports will be required for travelers returning to the United States by land or sea as well.

Again I don't see the point of it.

To be fair, there are SOME people who did apply in time and at the time were told a 12 week backlog and now here 3 months later are still twiddling their thumbs. There are also some whom I know that had passports expiring in six months and did the renewal with more than enough time.

If you cannot meet demand, you do need to start making accomodations, IMHO. Then again I go back to letting people into the country that shouldn't be.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter