February 1st, 2013 ~ 8 MAGICal days we can't wait for!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gina said:
Hi Amanda! Thanks for the Pleasure Pier review! I want to ride the Iron Shark soooooo bad. And I love Murdoch's... I could spend all day (and all paycheck) there. But I love places like that anyway. Did y'all wander the Strand at all? Those are where my very very favorite places are. In fact, I think tomorrow night we're going to go grab a milkshake at La King's and then go ride the ferry. That's always our mini-cruise-fix. :teeth:

How was the aquarium yesterday?? I've heard it's really neat!

We didn't do anything else in Galveston. We meet my Bil and his fiance there and they aren't really in to doing stuff, if that makes sense? Lol
The aquarium is fun but small. We had lunch at the restaurant there and that was really nice. I don't think I would go out of my way to go to the aquarium again though.

Today we hit the Houston Museum of Natural Science. The new hall of palenontology is awesome! I'm like a kid when it comes to that stuff.

Thanks for that info!!

I am heading into Texas a couple of days before the cruise to check out Houston and then head into Galveston early. Will definitely check out the pier!!

Any other ideas or suggestions....throw them my way. I am up for anything. I LOVE exploring new places. Escpecially new restaurants. Let me know what's good there:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Jenn

You're on the list! No turning back now! LOL :thumbsup2 Just let me know if you want any other info added on there.

Just curious, whereabouts do you live?

We live about 2 hours south of houston on the coast.. about the same distance from Galveston...

I am heading into Texas a couple of days before the cruise to check out Houston and then head into Galveston early. Will definitely check out the pier!!

The Pier was HOPPING this weekend, for sure!! Good grief, it took us forever to just inch through the intersection at 25th, and we couldn't find a spot to park to go to Murdoch's at all. :( Even at 10 o'clock at night! The Seawall was packed, even the *ferry* was packed. Lots of people enjoying Galveston this summer, which is great!! The more tourism improves, the more attractive Galveston is to cruise lines, and the more ships we get! :banana:

Any other ideas or suggestions....throw them my way. I am up for anything. I LOVE exploring new places. Escpecially new restaurants. Let me know what's good there:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Jenn

I would skip the Houston part and spend the time in Galveston! But that's just me. :thumbsup2

Either way, there are a billion really great restaurants to choose from in both Houston and Galveston. I would recommend hitting www.b4-u-eat.com to find something close to where you'll be that sounds like something you want to try! The "close to where you'll be" part is important, since one place can be an hour and a half away from another and both still be considered to be in "Houston." One more reason I say to just skip it, lol. But I know there are tons of people who love Houston. Me, I got out at the very first chance I could, lol. :rolleyes1

We live about 2 hours south of houston on the coast.. about the same distance from Galveston...

Yeah, I know, I was just curious as to what town, is all. No big. :wave2:

Welcome!! You must be so excited to be sailing on the Magic again after so many years! It will have been 5 for us by the time February rolls around, that feels like forever. I can't imagine 13 years!!

I'll add you to the list on the first page -- if you'd like me to add any other details, just let me know!

Thank you Gina. You can add that we are in stateroom 2612.
13 years is a long time. We are looking forward to seeing if anything has changed. I don't remember the pirate night and fireworks back in 2000. Really looking forward to that. :cool1:

well don't Google fog+cruise+Galveston, unless you want to be up all night worried. Oh, and BTW- the nightmares have started. I've already had the one where I left all the formal clothes at home, and the one that I got the the port late, so I guess I will now be having ones involving fog too!

Well yeah, fog is very common here in January and February. It is what it is. Last cruise we actually got out on time, but one cruise we were delayed a couple of hours, and one cruise we didn't board until 8:30pm and didn't leave Galveston until 3am.

We keep hoping one of these days, we'll be on the other side of the fog and will get to have our cruise extended! :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S Blaze using DISBoards mobile

We are so approaching the 6 month mark to our cruise :cool1::yay::goodvibes

Has anyone started thinking about what excursions you are going to do or thinking of doing? I have my eye on a couple...

And I am now all set up to spend the 2 nights prior to the cruise in Galveston:goodvibes Super excited about this. I am thinking of heading over to Kemah to check out the boardwalk, and maybe Moody Gardens. Any other great suggestions?

What about places to eat? Im thinking maybe Landry's, Flying Dutchmen, Joe's? Any other good eats suggestions? I LOVE my seafood and looking to try some awesome stuff here:yay:

Thanks, Jenn

P.S. Gina, just realized I didn't give you much info for the first page. You can add my age, 32, and that Im in room #7567. SERIOUSLY hoping for an upgrade at port!! Will be there early to see:cool1:

We are so approaching the 6 month mark to our cruise :cool1::yay::goodvibes

:banana: :yay: :cool1:

Has anyone started thinking about what excursions you are going to do or thinking of doing? I have my eye on a couple...

Cozumel is a day at Paradise Beach for us, no question. Key West will be a day of enjoying the nice empty ship. :) Grand Cayman -- As much as I loathe tendering, I've finally convinced my son to snorkel with the stingrays with me! Last time, he wouldn't even get off the boat, lol. But he was only like 8 or 9 at that point.

Costa Maya is one of my very favorite ports, and DS & I were trying to decide what to do this time. Last time, we toured Chacchoben with David from Native Choice, and it was pretty much the most amazing day either of us have ever had. We're both Mayan history buffs anyway, and to get to see and touch actual history, and hear about it from a true Mayan descendent, was beyond amazing. David knows so much, and is so passionate about all of it.

I was just looking at their website when you mentioned excursions, to start thinking about it again, and saw that they have a new offering that sounds so cool!! It's the Costa Maya Ball Game Tour. DS & I toured a Mayan ball court replica in Roatan this year, and were absolutely fascinated by the rituals and history behind the tradition. I called him just now to tell him about this new tour, and he said "BOOK IT", so I think that's what we'll be doing there. :)

It must be brand new, though -- there aren't even prices listed yet.
But I just can't speak highly enough about David and Ivan and Native Choice as a whole, and if anyone is looking for something to do in Costa Maya you ought to check them out. I've heard the Mayan Experience tour is really good too. www.thenativechoice.com

And I am now all set up to spend the 2 nights prior to the cruise in Galveston:goodvibes Super excited about this. I am thinking of heading over to Kemah to check out the boardwalk, and maybe Moody Gardens. Any other great suggestions?

Moody Gardens is at least a full day in itself! Kemah is fun, we love it there. Downtown Galveston has Pirates! and the haunted house right behind Sangerfest Park, just off the Strand, and if you like history and/or gorgeous architecture & design, you could tour the Bishop's Palace (which we think at night, reminds of the Haunted Mansion!), the Moody Mansion, or the Ashton Villa. Just stunning places. www.galveston.com is your best bet for info on anything and everything to do, see, or eat in Galveston!

What about places to eat? Im thinking maybe Landry's, Flying Dutchmen, Joe's? Any other good eats suggestions? I LOVE my seafood and looking to try some awesome stuff here:yay:

I would try either Fish Tales, or Gaido's. Fish Tales, right across from the new Pleasure Pier, gets consistently amazing reviews for their seafood: http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv1551.asp
Gaido's seems to be more hit or miss now, which is sad because it is an Island institution. Another place I hear a lot of people rave about is Miller's Seawall Grill. I don't eat seafood, though, so can't really speak for any of these places! But you can read the reviews for yourself at B4-U-Eat.

And if you want an amazing burger (or some seafood things like fish tacos), as well as an amazing view, there is simply no place but The Spot. YUM. And if you want an adult beverage with said view, there is Drip, the Rum Shack, the Tiki Bar, and Squeeze all there as part of the "Island Famous" complex with The Spot. www.islandfamous.com

P.S. Gina, just realized I didn't give you much info for the first page. You can add my age, 32, and that Im in room #7567. SERIOUSLY hoping for an upgrade at port!! Will be there early to see:cool1:

Got it added! And I'll be crossing my fingers for you for an upgrade! :goodvibes

I really want to book the ruins tour with Native Choice, but I'm terrified of getting back late to the ship if we do anything other than a DCL excursion. Any thoughts to alleviate my fears?

My family just booked our first Disney Cruise on the Magic on 02/01/13. Not only is this our first Disney cruise, but it is our first cruise ever. I stumbled across this site while trying to learn everything I can about Disney cruises in order to be prepared when February arrives. Hopefully this thread can help me find out everything I need to know so that our cruise is as fantastic as everyone says it will be!

Our group will include myself, my husband, and our 3 daughters (3,6, & 8) and we booked one of the mid-ship one bedroom suites.

I am anxious to learn as much as I can from all of you veteran cruisers!

My family just booked our first Disney Cruise on the Magic on 02/01/13. Not only is this our first Disney cruise, but it is our first cruise ever. I stumbled across this site while trying to learn everything I can about Disney cruises in order to be prepared when February arrives. Hopefully this thread can help me find out everything I need to know so that our cruise is as fantastic as everyone says it will be!

Our group will include myself, my husband, and our 3 daughters (3,6, & 8) and we booked one of the mid-ship one bedroom suites.

I am anxious to learn as much as I can from all of you veteran cruisers!

Welcome PrincessMommy:wave2:

So great to have you joining in on the cruise:) Enjoy looking through all the cruise information. It is so handy! Everyone is ready to give advice, and answer any questions you have.

This is my first DCL cruise, and will only be my 2nd cruise ever:)

Jenn

I really want to book the ruins tour with Native Choice, but I'm terrified of getting back late to the ship if we do anything other than a DCL excursion. Any thoughts to alleviate my fears?

I know what you mean. I want to book outside of DCL to do one of these tours but am nervous about not making it back. Having said that, the tour seems like it would get back in enough time, and Im really thinking that a tour operator would NOT want to see guests get back late to a ship. Not good PR for their company:)

Let me know if you book, Im thinking of doing this as well:goodvibes

Jenn

Hey Gina,

wondering who you are thinking of doing your Stingray day with? I have looked at DCL's options and also Marv's (?). For the money and time, Marv's seems a bit better. More stops. Are you thinking of staying with DCL or maybe venturing out?

Can't wait......ALMOST 6 MONTHS:cool1::cool1:

Jenn

I know what you mean. I want to book outside of DCL to do one of these tours but am nervous about not making it back. Having said that, the tour seems like it would get back in enough time, and Im really thinking that a tour operator would NOT want to see guests get back late to a ship. Not good PR for their company:)

Let me know if you book, Im thinking of doing this as well:goodvibes

Jenn

Sure! We are a group of 8....so the more the merrier! I guess it's about time to start thinking about these things!!!
:banana:

In Key West we want to go para-sailing. DCL doesn't offer it but there are several companies that we can go with.

In Grand Cayman we are going to snorkel with the stingrays. We will probably book with Captain Marvin. I want to try snuba but I don't think we have time for both.

Costa Maya we are going to see the pyramids. We will probably go with Native Choice as well.

No idea what we are doing in Cozumel. More snorkeling maybe. We may do a dolphin encounter. At least I will, DH may just watch.

ETA; I just went on the Native Choice website. The other ruins look amazing, I wish we were in port long enough to see them. I am seriously considering a land based vacation in Mexico for 2014! We are definitely going to book with them and use the $50 we save for souvenirs.

On a more personal note I start back to school on August 20th. :cool1:
The school I am going to has 8 week terms rather than semesters and our cruise is going to be right in the middle of Spring 1 so I am going to do online classes that term. I have only ever done one online class and it was independent study so I hope this goes as smoothly as I think it will. I am not looking forward to using the infamously slow on-board internet and am hoping I can find places in port. Of course the day we are in Key West will be the end of the previous week and I wont need to be online that day. :rolleyes:

Welcome!! I am loving how many first-time cruisers there are here... y'all are going to have SO much fun!! There are plenty of us who could talk about cruising and DCL in particular all day long :rolleyes1 , so feel free to ask any questions you might think of! And please let me know if you'd like me to add you to the first-page list, and what info you'd like listed.

Hey Gina,
wondering who you are thinking of doing your Stingray day with? I have looked at DCL's options and also Marv's (?). For the money and time, Marv's seems a bit better. More stops. Are you thinking of staying with DCL or maybe venturing out?
Can't wait......ALMOST 6 MONTHS:cool1::cool1:
Jenn

We did Captain Marvin's last time, and I have no problem booking with them again. They were punctual, professional, and knew their stuff. It was a great day! The only other tour I would consider is Fat Fish Adventures, but they only do custom tours for up to 8 people and that would be a giant hassle to coordinate if you don't already have 8 people in your party. Unless you're far more wealthy than me and can afford to just pay for the whole thing yourself no matter how few people you have. I'll probably be going with Captain Marvin's. :thumbsup2

Probably just the two-stop tour for us, though, because one snorkel stop is enough and I'd rather have some time to enjoy the ship while everyone else is gone.

On a more personal note I start back to school on August 20th. :cool1:

The school I am going to has 8 week terms rather than semesters and our cruise is going to be right in the middle of Spring 1 so I am going to do online classes that term. I have only ever done one online class and it was independent study so I hope this goes as smoothly as I think it will.

That's so cool!! What is your degree going to be in? Where are you going?
I just graduated from West Texas A&M in the fall of '09. I had started my degree back in '83, and always hated not finishing. So, I decided that between working fulltime and being a single parent, I had waaayyyy too much free time :rolleyes: , and decided to finish my degree. Best thing I ever did, for my own self-esteem if nothing else. And I think the example I set for my son was exponentially greater than any motivating words I could tell him.

My entire course load was online. It was much harder that way -- you are so on your own and have to develop amazing amounts of self-discipline -- but was also better in that you could study and take tests and whatnot when it was convenient and better for YOU. Morning person? Take a quiz at 6am. Brain more awake at midnight? Take a test then. I loved that.

Good luck!! :cheer2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter