Favorite Quiet Places/Anxiety Tips

Claire82013

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip for November 2021, and it's my first trip with a better understanding of my anxiety needs. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with anxiety in the parks, such as best quiet places to chill, items to bring, etc.? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

I find by the bathroom in Fantasy land near 7DMT and space quiet area also the hub grass is a good place. all the parks have first aid that you can go to for a break when needed be. The DAS might be useful to you

what make your anxiety worst is it a lot of people around you? noises? or something else?

Last edited:
I will look into DAS when I'm there, but I will definitely wait to see what the CM has to say when discussing my needs. I have very unpredictable spikes in anxiety with often no real external trigger. Sometimes I just begin to experience high anxiety and need to decompress. I'm not noise-sensitive or claustrophobic (these won't trigger an attack, but can make a sudden attack worse), but if I do experience sudden anxiety spells/panic, I'd like to be prepared with places to retreat if necessary, but I forgot about first-aid. I'm not entirely sure DAS is right for me yet, but only a CM will be able to help with that situation.

Can someone explain what DAS means?
I may have a bit of similar issue because sometimes I have issues with crowds. So, I will follow this thread

There are a few tables up the hill by the quick service place in japan in epcot that are usually quiet and have a great view of the lagoon.
The bathrooms by 7DMT are nice, there is a corner in the back behind VIllage Haus that is nice.

Can someone explain what DAS means?
I may have a bit of similar issue because sometimes I have issues with crowds. So, I will follow this thread
It’s tough to explain if you need or it not, especially for mental disorders. Everyone with anxiety, depression, etc can present differently. Some people may be able to wait in line, some might not. As much as I like reassurance, there’s no way to know if you will be given a pass until you talk to a cast member about your needs and why you think lines could be a problem. I’ve seen from these boards that it’s good to have backup plans if you don’t qualify so you can be prepared. Hopefully some more tips roll in!

I know this isn't in the parks, but one way we found quiet was to take a shuttle to one of the resorts during the day. We scheduled some lunches in other resorts and then returned to the parks after lunch.

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip for November 2021, and it's my first trip with a better understanding of my anxiety needs. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with anxiety in the parks, such as best quiet places to chill, items to bring, etc.? Any ideas are appreciated.

I had a severe TBI from an accident a few years ago and found I needed some breaks from the crazy at the parks at times. I was traveling during very busy times (due to my son's school schedule) so if you can during less peak times that's always a bonus. I use an ECV so having a way to make my own seat anywhere off to the side and quiet was a plus. Since you don't have mobility issues I don't know that would work so well for you. I like that space near the purple wall in the MK if the seating is open (it is sometimes a restaurant). It was often empty but I'm not sure what else is going on there. I also agree with the recommendation for the Japanese garden area near their QS location. I also like the idea of going to a nearby hotel to sightsee or go back to your room if on property if you have the time but that does take awhile! I like to sit and people watch and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Going into a show could help - like Hall of Presidents, etc. that are sort of .... cool and dark and relaxing ... there are several shows like this although they can be loud.

Noise cancelling earbuds might also help. You can find a place to sit and listen to something that calms you and close your eyes.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but after MANY WDW trips, I don't know where the bathrooms are by 7DMT that people are mentioning. Can someone please help me find them?

In MK, Tomorrowland Terrace was a cool & quiet place for us to eat and relax last week. Tom Sawyer Island was also relatively quiet.

I had a severe TBI from an accident a few years ago and found I needed some breaks from the crazy at the parks at times. I was traveling during very busy times (due to my son's school schedule) so if you can during less peak times that's always a bonus. I use an ECV so having a way to make my own seat anywhere off to the side and quiet was a plus. Since you don't have mobility issues I don't know that would work so well for you. I like that space near the purple wall in the MK if the seating is open (it is sometimes a restaurant). It was often empty but I'm not sure what else is going on there. I also agree with the recommendation for the Japanese garden area near their QS location. I also like the idea of going to a nearby hotel to sightsee or go back to your room if on property if you have the time but that does take awhile! I like to sit and people watch and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Going into a show could help - like Hall of Presidents, etc. that are sort of .... cool and dark and relaxing ... there are several shows like this although they can be loud.

Noise cancelling earbuds might also help. You can find a place to sit and listen to something that calms you and close your eyes.

thanks! We are going the second week of November, so hopefully lower crowds than the holidays. It’s also my first time staying on the monorail loop, so going to the resorts during the afternoon feels more doable compared to previous years at the all-stars.

I like to visit the bathroom behind Figment in Epcot. It is kind of the end of the road type area and not everyone knows they are back there. Usually quiet there and a bench to sit on for a few minutes too. Tends to be very quiet back there.

When I get nervous or anxiety kicks up, I start rubbing my thumb and first finger together. It is what I used to do with my security blanket as a little kid. There is something calming about it and I often do it without realizing it. So I usually take a fluffy friend in to the parks (either my Pluto or Duffy bear) and then I can hold its hand and rub the paws between my fingers when things start to be too much for me. Sounds crazy and may just be me, but it really does help.

I like to visit the bathroom behind Figment in Epcot. It is kind of the end of the road type area and not everyone knows they are back there. Usually quiet there and a bench to sit on for a few minutes too. Tends to be very quiet back there.

When I get nervous or anxiety kicks up, I start rubbing my thumb and first finger together. It is what I used to do with my security blanket as a little kid. There is something calming about it and I often do it without realizing it. So I usually take a fluffy friend in to the parks (either my Pluto or Duffy bear) and then I can hold its hand and rub the paws between my fingers when things start to be too much for me. Sounds crazy and may just be me, but it really does help.
Not crazy at all, I do the same thing with a blanket at home. Outside the house I have a squishy ball or play dough works too. These are grounding techniques to keep you in the present moment. Other sensory items like essential oil for smell or hard candies for taste can help calm anxiety. I get panic attacks and this helps me a lot.

Amazon has lots of stuff like this if you search for sensory toys.

thanks! We are going the second week of November, so hopefully lower crowds than the holidays. It’s also my first time staying on the monorail loop, so going to the resorts during the afternoon feels more doable compared to previous years at the all-stars.

That's a great time of year I think and being on the monorail loop is golden. Taking the walking path to the GF would probably be a nice stroll. I also used to like to ride the MK train but I don't think it will be operational when you're there. Living with the Land boat ride in Epcot is another long relaxing ride. The skyliner is also fun and relaxing (for me) so I've sometimes taken time just to ride it everywhere it goes. Doing things you enjoy that let's you sort of "zone out" is helpful. For me I like shopping in the parks and would shop in the mornings when it wasn't crowded and just take my time looking at things deciding what souvenirs I wanted to pick up before my trip was over.

I also like to recommend, if you can afford them and they are being offered again, the special events and parties like after hours nights at the parks, dessert parties, etc. They're not happening at the moment but those are good for getting away from the crowds. Of course the big parties like MNSSHP and MVMCP if they happen are more crowded so those can vary more. With dessert parties you can get guaranteed space to watch fireworks or shows, etc. in the past plus a place to sit and eat desserts for awhile.

I think the Nomad Lounge in AK (at least used to) let you stop in for a drink and to sit - you can always get non-alcoholic and relax if you are old enough. Any lounge areas in the hotels tend to have fewer kids (noise) and nicer seats. Another (pricey) option is having table service reservations for meals. That can really take you out of the crowds into some a/c and you don't have to struggle for a seat. Hopefully when you're there it is less busy and not an issue but this works for me if I can't stand battling those lunch crowds. Eating at off-peak times can also help with crowded QS seating issues (pre-pandemic - not sure how it will be when you go!).

I have a TBI from a car accident and often my anxiety flares up at the parks which can cause issues with my speech and balance. I use etymotic earplugs in the parks- they help lower the decibel level of sounds around you but still enable you to hear someone next to you if they are talking.

(I believe they have turned some the the following spaces into mask break spots and some of the spaces may now be occupied by extended lines)

In AK there's a shaded quiet seating area I use often behind Tamu Tamu and another one (with much less seating) by Anandapur Tea Company. The Rivers of Light seating area is also quiet and the Cretacious Trail is a great quiet place to wander.

In DHS Backlot Express is great, there's tons of seating and plenty of space. I've never actually purchased anything to eat there, but I use it every trip as a break spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!