• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fat Girls Walking Club

Glad to see everyone is still posting and others want to join :)

I have been MIA for too long. Sorry about that. Work has been a nightmare but I don't want to focus on that right now. What I need to focus on is getting my big, Pooh sized butt back on the track. I haven't taken a walk since the Princess 5k in March. It has been too long.

Congrats to all that have completed races or just kept moving forward.

I am so glad that I have all of you to support and encourage me.

Will post again soon.

Annette :)

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday AND Tuesday Mixer :stitch:

Stop on by the 'Ohana team thread, where the mixer starts here!

I know this weekend is a vacation weekend for many of us, so we'll be running the mixer tomorrow (Monday) and Tuesday. This mixer question is a ringer, folks, but hopefully still fun:

What did you do for Memorial Day/Weekend?

Provide us with plenty of details & hopefully photos of your activities, gatherings, celebrations and how you observe the day (and spirit) of Memorial Day. :thumbsup2

Hello everyone!!

I am sorry that I have been MIA too! I am entering the END of my recovery from my wart removal. (for those that don't know I had an adverse reaction and it looked like a golf ball was coming out of the bottom of my foot.)

I have been off the crutches for a while now and the pain is finally subsiding.

I hope to get out and walk tomorrow!! I don't have any events lined up until August. I am thinking of doing the Princess 1/2 next year..... I still have to think about that one though.

Has anyone found any good motivation books for marathoning? Maybe one that includes different training plans for different levels of experience?

Thank you all for your help!!

Keep on moving!

Nikki, Try Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. It's the best book I've found so far, offers a range of information, some nice training plans for walking, walk-running, run-walking, and running races. And it so accurately predicted my emotional responses during taper, race, and post-race that I was sure Bingham was in my head!

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

I know you're all ea-GEAR to share your knowledge about your favorite clothing, training aids and technical toys, so this week's prompt posted here on the 'Ohana thread is:

Beyond the basics, what's your favorite/most-useful/most loved gear?

Of course, feel free to talk about your favorite shoes, socks, tech shirts or sports bras or other necessities. But I think we'd all like to know about that special something(s) that you've added to your "must have" for training, racing days, or just plain pleasure. For some of you, maybe it's your Garmin. Other, a special brand of sunscreen or a specific brand of water belt? Still others, a strategy for taping your legs and feet or a a favorite tracking website?

Please share your special finds with the rest of us. :thumbsup2

Hello All,
I've been running faithfully. This past week the weather here got into the 90's which is unusually HOT for the Pacific NW. Running on Wednesday was
B-R-U-T-A-L thanks to the heat, did I sweat...:headache:

I just completed my second week of week 5 of the C25K podcast, that 20 minute run about killed me but I made it. Onto week 6 :scared1:.

In my park & rec C25K class our teacher timed our 1 mile this week. I am very proud to say my time was 10:02. Woo Hoo! I've been working really hard & running four nights a week in preparation for DL time needed for race.

Up coming for me is a 5K on 06/20, Wildcat Lake 5K. My C25K class is running it. It sounds like a beautiful run around the lake w/a couple of hills. Blast it why are their always HILLS... :laughing:

Lace em' up ladies!
Working on getting my ears in gear!
Chris:cool2:

:stitch:'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

This one is JenG's very good question to the cousins, excerpted, about the difference between building a base and training for a race. The mixer starts here on the 'Ohana thread.

What is the difference between maintaining or building a base and training for a race? I've only been running for a year and I've either been taking time off running or training for a race. What is just building a base?

How is your approach (mental or otherwise) and exercise routine different when building your base versus training? Do you run less? Do different exercises? Approach the run differently psychologically?

Wish me luck tomorrow 6/20 is my first official 5K race w/my C25K class. I am running the Wildcat Lake 5K. :thumbsup2 I feel pretty good, I'm excited, and I think I am ready physically to run it. I will log on tomorrow afternoon and post my race report. Looks like the weather will be overcast & cool for my 5K tomorrow morning yeah!

Walk on everyone :cool2:
Running my mass off.
Chris

Woo Hoo!
I finished the 3.5 mile Fil-Am Mountain Fun Run yesterday. My time was 39:30 = 11:23 per mile, 61st place. Not bad at all, I'm proud of myself, it was hilly, and a pretty run around Wildcat Lake. I received another cool t-shirt. I felt pretty good after the run, my legs were a little tight this morning but overall I feel good. I am amazed by myself... If you would of told me in January of this year I'd run & finish 3.5 miles in 39:30 I would of asked you what you'd been smokin'. :hippie:

Before I forget the 18 year old youngster that ran & won the Mountain Run finished just over 17 minutes, I think his official time was something like 17:02... OMG. A 58 year old finished 7th overall, he finished in like 18:45... Holy crap how cool is that.

One last race comment, this group of middle aged ladies like myself were running together & on the back of their shirts was the following.
"Our workouts are longer than your shorts." Did I burst out laughing when I read this, cracks me up! :lmao: I need to get one of these shirts.

My current mantra = FIT, FUN, & HEALTHY!

Next Saturday my C25K class is running the 5K Run it Forward Bridges Run. My C25K teacher has us running this route on a regular basis, this will be a familiar course for me. :thumbsup2

Well ladies I hope everyone is lacing them up and training for whatever race is in your future. Or just running/walking because it makes you feel better, trying to get in better shape, weight loss, or whatever your reason may be.

Getting my ears in gear & running my mass off!
Walk and or run on!:cool2:
Chris

The Mixer starts here on the 'Ohana thread....

:stitch:'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

I asked a variation of this on team thread, but it makes for a good general prompt. Lots of us are finalizing our late summer/fall/early 2010 race schedules and/or in training for them. So let's talk events. Two questions:

1. What event have you committed to that you're most looking forward to, Disney marathon weekend excluded? And
  2. What are you most looking forward to about Disney marathon weekend, if you are attending? (With sympathy :grouphug: to those who are not.)

The mixer starts here on the 'Ohana thread.

:stitch:'Ohana Monday Mixer:stitch:

Ah, it's summer. The 4th of July is right around the corner. Summer always strikes me as the time for family vacations and road trips. And I'm sure many of us who are traveling are either participating in races--and :worship: to those of you doing events in the summer heat--or we're continuing to train. So...these random thoughts made me think about the challenges of traveling for WISHers, whether traveling to an event or for other reasons.

This week's mixer asks you to share your best tips and strategies for traveling. We're interested in all things related to staying active on the road, from packing your gear to what kind of exercise you prioritize while squeezed for time and in unfamiliar territory.

A sampling of possible questions: What are the must-brings? How much to pack? How to pack your gear--tips and mistakes to avoid? How to best deal with bulky shoes and stinky clothes? What kind of XT do you do while away from home--do you have anything you bring with you?? What about your guidelines for running/walking in areas with which you're unfamiliar?

I'll probably ask a race-specific traveling question closer to January, but tips on race packing are always appreciated. And those of you who are on the road frequently, for business or pleasure, your expertise is much appreciated. :thumbsup2

Just dropping in to check in on everyone!

How is everyone doing?

I am busy training, training, running & running some more. I am on week 7 of C25K, will be moving to week 8 Monday. Not to bad. I am trying to consistantly run 5 days a week. I ran my fastest mile yesterday according to my Nike+Ipod Sensor that I use to track my mileage & times. My time for one mile = 10:09. I'm very happy with that for a gal who has only been exercising since February. I am amazed at how much better I feel.

How is everyone beating the summer heat? Tip & hints please.

Lace em' up ladies!
Walk or Run On! :cool2:
Chris

I am a walker not a runner and I have signed up for the princess. I am worried about being swept. I read on here to read m4m and readit. is there ANyone that walks the entire race and finished within alotted time want to share with me??

I have never been in any race and I am feeing a bit. I am wishing I wans't doing it alone but I am

Hi! I'm not a marathon runner. But I'm definately Pooh sized and hitting the World in December. I would like to lose 60 pounds but.. any thing lost would be great. I started today with 20 mins of some cardio dvd that I could barely do.. and later in the day I took my girls and our dog lady for a 30 min walk. So I don't know if I belong on this thread. But, here I am. :)

I am a walker not a runner and I have signed up for the princess. I am worried about being swept. I read on here to read m4m and readit. is there ANyone that walks the entire race and finished within alotted time want to share with me??

I have never been in any race and I am feeing a bit. I am wishing I wans't doing it alone but I am

Hi! I'm not a marathon runner. But I'm definately Pooh sized and hitting the World in December. I would like to lose 60 pounds but.. any thing lost would be great. I started today with 20 mins of some cardio dvd that I could barely do.. and later in the day I took my girls and our dog lady for a 30 min walk. So I don't know if I belong on this thread. But, here I am. :)

Hi everyone :) It's been a while since I've posted but there has been a lot going on. Welcome to all the newbies and I commit to posting more often.

Amamda and I have deceided to do the Princess Half in March 2010. We did the 5k last year and I was sad that I didn't do the half. Amanda did a half a couple of weeks ago. So that I know we can do the Princess. This weekend we are doing a 5k for a local charity.

So everyone, keep moving forward :)

Hi, everyone, I'm joining in! 2 years ago this week I did my first 5K after losing almost 100 lbs in the 7 months before that. I was walking daily, and felt great, despite being pooh-sized. Then I got a job out of the area, got depressed, stopped exercising and eating right, and everything went downhill.

But, that was then, and this is now. I'm getting my Garmin out of the box and dusting it off, hitting the shoe store for new sneaks, and the housedogs will be THRILLED to see the walking leashes again! My mom (who has done a fantabulous job of losing weight and working out this past year) has agreed to do the 5k with me in January at WDW, if I recommit, so here goes!

And I used to have M4M, but it's packed away, so will have to go and buy a new copy :)!

Thanks for letting me join the group!
Terri
(who only has to be able to run faster than the black bear mama and cubs who frequent the neighborhood!)

Welcome Terri :)

Yesterday Amanda and I did local 5k. I didn't do so great. The day before I dropped a dryer on my foot at work and it was really bothering me yesterday. We also got our mom to do it with us. It was her first 5k. So good for her.

We are going to do the Princess Half in March. Anyone else?

Well, after seeing the title of this thread I couldn't resist jumping in! I'm 30 years old, 60 lbs overweight, and just started walking for exercise on Sunday. In all honesty, I've been using my kids as an excuse not to exercise for most of the last 12 years. I was a competitive swimmer in school but never really enjoyed any exercise other than swimming, so when I didn't have access to a pool I just quit exercising. I do walk as transportation, but that's at the 7yo's pace most of the time and hardly counts as exercise, so I've got my work cut out for me to get ready for any sort of race!

Since our Sept/Oct trip is looking a little more like a Feb/Mar trip every day and the Princess 5K has a stroller category, I'm using that as my motivation. I might join a friend in doing a family 5K fun run in Detroit in the fall, but Disney is the ultimate goal.

So far, I'm still working on finding a nice course. We're new to the town where we live, been here less than a month, so I'm still learning the area. I foubd a nice bike/jogging path today, so now I'm just working on landmarks for distance. I did 2.8 miles in 52 min on Sunday alone, and 3.1 miles today in 1:07 with my 7yo DD (with a short stop at the Hallmark accounting for about 5min of that, because I've decided to start walking seriously while also planning my DD's 1st birthday party and trying to make the house presentable enough for guests on Saturday :rotfl:), so I think I'll be okay on managing the distance. It is the pace I'm going to have to work on, and of course, the biggest challenge is sticking with it. But since the DIS has become an addiction, what better place to look for support on this journey? :goodvibes

Welcome Colleen :)

Another Michigander on board. Where do you live? Amanda and I are in Lansing and Nikki is on the west coast.

Welcome Colleen :)

Another Michigander on board. Where do you live? Amanda and I are in Lansing and Nikki is on the west coast.

The base of the Thumb, about 45 miles northeast of Detroit and a stone's throw from Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter