FastPass of the Future? Will DVC be a segment?

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't it be possible for Disney to leave in place the current FP system that has people walking all over the park to pick up one FP at a time, and add on top of that a perk for Deluxe Resort visitors that is more convenient for them than that? I'm definitely not advocating the new system - I like things the way they are - just asking if the new system would necessarily supplant the old, or just be in addition to it.

Just thought of something else. If the old system completely disappears and FP is only available to the customers with the most $ to spend, and DVC is not included, would DVC'ers tend to get frustrated enough to rent out their points more frequently, taking business from customers who might normally book deluxe accommodations directly from Disney?

If the non-deluxe or off-site staying guests find that their wait times for rides are increasing due to the new fast pass system, it's very likely that some, if not many, may decide WDW is no longer a destination at which they want to spend their vacation dollars. After all, the prospect of spending a fairly large sum of money to buy park tickets for a family of 4 and then spending a couple of hours or more in line just to get on the popular attractions isn't something most people would consider as money well spent.

If Disney is considering throwing away a segment of their repeat business, this could be a gamble. Of course, they could always toss out the program if it didn't work by saying "we listened to our guests and are now giving you what you want" and then offer a bunch of discounted packages to get people excited about returning. But there is such a thing as killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

bicker said:
It highly unlikely that such a change would have that kind of impact, anyway.

We'll just have to agree to disagree there.
Fair enough.

I just know how bad the Universal Studios experience is for off-site guests who don't fork out the extra money for their FOTL passes during heavy crowd seasons.

And I think WDW has a legion of very loyal guests who stay off-site who may or may not care about this.

Had they introduced this from the start, I'm sure it would have been accepted similar to the other items on tjkraz's list.

On the other hand, here's a small sampling of the comments over on the Theme Park Attractions board:

This sounds like discrimination.
I hope this dosen't go through.
Next thing you will have to use a cc to pay for a FP at the machine.

One problem I see with this is traveling with multiple families but staying at different hotels. We're having about 25 of us going down at once this year all staying at different hotels/time shares, on and off site. This sort of fastpass arraingement will make it very hard to do anything together.

I agree with the last post, Disney wanted everyone to enjoy the parks equally, all this well I'm paying $500 a night so I should get better treatment is just snobbish. Im sorry to everyone who can afford it and doesn't think they should get preferential treatment because they make more money and can afford more. Its just a convuluted way of saying Im better then you because I make more money and I'm going to show it...

That's just disgusting.

I have read elsewhere about FOTL at Universal, and its a mess because it makes everyone but hotel guests feel like second class citizens.

I wouldn't like a new system like this. We only stay onsite but never can afford the deluxes. Our budget is value and maybe moderate if there's a good code.

Just disgusting. I love how everyone who can afford to go deluxe feels so entitled to bigger and better and more. Perhaps if they downgraded and gave the money to a family who had never been to the parks becasue paying rent is pretty difficult they might find the kind of joy that their heart is really desiring.

Don't misunderstand. Most people work very hard for their money and deserve to spend it as they see fit. If it is on a deluxe vacation, good for them. But to automatically assume that you deserve better than the family that has been saving for the past eight years to get to WDW one time in a budget resort with their children is elitist and says alot about your character

Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.

As indicated, only time will tell.

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion, and the ability to disagree on opinions without flames. :)

donaldbuzz&minnie said:
Am I missing something here? Wouldn't it be possible for Disney to leave in place the current FP system that has people walking all over the park to pick up one FP at a time, and add on top of that a perk for Deluxe Resort visitors that is more convenient for them than that?
Nope, you're not missing anything, AFAIC.

I personally don't think we will fit to high into this system as they know we stay there year after year they allready have our money for resort stays. That or it will be offered in place of the current AP discount etc or in conjunction to a new pass system for DVC members. None of which I really care about as we never use AP's and in Dec we have never really had to use FP's either. So for this DVC member I really could care less how it works or where we fit into the plans.

What I really meant when I made reference to "what Walt would have wanted" is the discrepancy that would occur in how all the guests would be treated if such a plan as discussed here goes into effect. I can't imagine that he would have supported favoring one class of guest over another. While I realize that business is business, I just think it's tacky to connive a system that ranks guests based on the accommodations they're willing to pay for. It isn't like anyone is entering the parks for free; the price of admission should cover it.

As to the quote from the bus driver of $5600/week, I wouldn't necessarily discount it. Remember, that's an average. I was shopping for a watch when I visited WDW in April and a nice one caught my eye at one of the shops at the Studios. $400. I passed, at least until I hit the lottery. I got to chatting with the cast member who pointed out the watch next to it, which was really nice, was $1000, and told me I'd probably be surprised at how many people whip out a credit card and purchase it, apparently not concerned about the price. I have to admit that I was amazed at the crowds at WDW at the end of April and everyone seemed to be shopping and dining. The first night I arrived, 4/23, I got a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich, probably standing in line for 40 minutes. It had to be around 8:30 pm or slightly later. Chatting with people around me, I learned that some were just getting a snack to tide them over while they waited two hours to get into a sit down restaurant at Downtown Disney.

I have a Mickey Mouse Tag Heuer that was 1000.00 dollars US I paid cash for it and I could have gotten the same watch at home for 850.00 Canadian but minus the mickey in it. So it just proves that people that want something will pay for it on vacation no matter the price tag in many situations.

fkj2 said:
What I really meant when I made reference to "what Walt would have wanted" is the discrepancy that would occur in how all the guests would be treated if such a plan as discussed here goes into effect.
Similar to the Early Entry / Surprise Morning program, which was very successful for many years.

fkj2 said:
I can't imagine that he would have supported favoring one class of guest over another.
I suggest you read some of the biographies, then. You're completely off-base with you characterizations of Walt Disney as some 1990s liberal.

fkj2 said:
While I realize that business is business, I just think it's tacky to connive a system that ranks guests based on the accommodations they're willing to pay for.
I respect your personal feelings on the practice. I think the point folks have been making in opposition to your perspective is that these types of practices are not considered "tacky" (or even "connived"), in general. This is just about the most basic business practice there is: Better service or better product for better compensation.

fkj2 said:
It isn't like anyone is entering the parks for free; the price of admission should cover it.
It is important to ask yourself: "should" based on what? The most important "shoulds" in situations like this are: (1) Promise only what you intend to deliver; (2) Deliver what you promise; and (3) Price products and services based on their perceived value, as much as the market will bear.

donaldbuzz&minnie said:
Just curious. What does AFAIC mean??
This is a great resource for the most commonly-used online acronyms: http://kb.iu.edu/data/adkc.html?cust=697760.93026.30

This is being discussed on another website - Disney has filed an application for a patent for expansion of FastPass.

Sound like they are trying to cover all their bases for any dreamed up future use - but check this out if you have a lot of time to read!

And remember - this is just an application - it doesn't mean they will actually do all this stuff and doesn't imply when - just very interesting all the stuff they are thinking about.....................

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&s1=20050060173&OS=20050060173&RS=20050060173
I wonder if Disney will implement any of this, or if 2+ years from now we will still be discussing it.

I can see Pay to Play as a positive perk for DVC sales if they choose to use it that way, and I have no opposition to priority for resort guests, but wow, it's going to be a big PR headache with the people who have always stayed off-site if they get NO FPs. And with locals who are in the parks a lot.

DisFlan
I have always wished that the FP should be for people staying at the parks or AP holders. Why not use it as an added perk?

I wonder if Disney will implement any of this, or if 2+ years from now we will still be discussing it.

So what promted you to bring this forward more than 2 years after it was originally posted?

This has been discussed for a long time on the Jim Hill site, about giving more fastpasses to people staying at higher end hotels. The wireless part is new.

If you look at the date on the filing it's August 29,
2006 (down farther).

Who are the 3 "inventors"?

I would like to take a moment to note that I did NOT bite on this two-year old thread! :thumbsup2

Unlike that other one I bit on a couple of weeks ago...:upsidedow

everything old is new again;)

wonder if they will implement it this time, or just sit it back on the shelf?

better yet, still wonder how DVC will fit in:confused3 ; just hope they don't decide to base # of FP on actual spending for each vacation either:

*prepaids (DP, MYW tix purchase etc.)

*$ spent while on vacation; or

*resort level/cost

I think this is a shame. This is one of the things I dislike about Universal, you either have to pay an enormous amount of money to stay on site or pay for a one express per ride at about $40 a head. If you can't afford these two options you may be able to get one or two express passes, but otherwise be prepared to wait. People pay alot of money just to get into the parks, they shouldn't be made to feel like second class citizens because they can't afford to up the ante. While we stay on property at Disney, I think it will make alot of vacationers disapointed and make a return visit more unlikey.

I think it's a great perk at Universal. The Universal resorts are beautiful resorts, run by Loews. They rates are certainly cheaper than Disney's deluxe resorts and the service is much better than Disney. It's worth every penny, IMO. The FOTL is just icing on the cake. Universal tickets are also a lot cheaper than Disney tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter