Fastest way to get to port from wdw?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I would like to get to port early. From what I understand DCL transport gets you there around 12:30 to 1, correct? The limos are pricey. There's only 2 of us so almost $200 for a one way trip seems crazy.

Renting a car involves toll roads with long waits? Also, where would you pick up the car from at WDW? I'm traveling alone with a small child. Car rental sounds like a hassle. I can't leave my son to go get the car. I was hoping to avoid rental cars anyway.

Then I was thinking about leaving the parks and staying at the Hyatt MCO overnight and then catching a shuttle to port. That's sounding like a pain too. And just as expensive. Besides I have no idea how we'd get from the parks to the hotel. Any thoughts on this?

Should I just suck it up and pay for the limo service?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would like to get to port early. From what I understand DCL transport gets you there around 12:30 to 1, correct? The limos are pricey. There's only 2 of us so almost $200 for a one way trip seems crazy.

Renting a car involves toll roads with long waits? Also, where would you pick up the car from at WDW? I'm traveling alone with a small child. Car rental sounds like a hassle. I can't leave my son to go get the car. I was hoping to avoid rental cars anyway.

Then I was thinking about leaving the parks and staying at the Hyatt MCO overnight and then catching a shuttle to port. That's sounding like a pain too. And just as expensive. Besides I have no idea how we'd get from the parks to the hotel. Any thoughts on this?

Should I just suck it up and pay for the limo service?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would like to know the same thing!

Unfortunately for 2 of you, likely the only cheaper option is a car rental. The break-even point with private car service/limo versus DCL transfers is around 3-4 people. So you probably need to choose between cost and other benefits (flexibility in arrival time, convenience, etc.). I would not say that car rental is that much of a hassle - we did it last spring. While we did need to wait in line at the airport, once through the paperwork process it was easy - the tolls were not a hassle, driving was not a hassle, we stayed in Cocoa Beach with an inexpensive hotel rate and arrived at the port on the first shuttle from the rental place (about 10:30/10:45am) for an 11:00-11:30 PAT.

Private car service or limo is likely to cost about the same as DCL transfers, but you can select your time, make a stop along the way (liquor store, grocery store, Walmart if needed). And it adds an air of "luxury" for the child.

DCL transfers from either WDW or MCO will cost the same ($35 one way per person, $70 round trip) but adds convenience in that they deal with your luggage and you get that "Disney" immersion with videos on the bus. If catching the bus at MCO, first bus leaves around 9:30am with arrival at PC around 10:30am; if leaving from WDW resorts your pick-up will likely be sometime between 11:30-12:30 with arrival at port around 1:30pm.

There's pros and cons to each option. You'll need to decide what is most preferred for you and your family.

Enjoy your cruise!

While there are tolls to be paid, I've never encountered a long wait. Probably the most we ever waited was behind 2 other cars. And most rental car companies offer cars equipped with a SunPass for no waiting at all (there is an additional fee for this).

It depends on what matters most in your travel--price or convenience.

You can take Magical Express back to the airport on your last night and stay at the Hyatt MCO or another airport area hotel...then do back to MCO in the morning to get the bus to the port. It's rather a pain to do this, but it works. It is a whole lot easier to pick up a rental car on the last afternoon or departure morning and drive yourself to Cape Canaveral....cost for us under $50 for a full size car.

I've never been able to justify a limo service for 2 of us. You might go to the cruise meet sections of the boards and meet up with another family leaving from WDW to the cruise terminal and share a limo service with that family (most companies will pick up from 2 resorts). That would make your cost a lot closer to DCL transfers.

Where do you get the rental car at WDW? How do you get to the rental car site from your hotel?

Finally note that you should arrive to the port no earlier than your port arrival time. You might be denied entry until that time comes.

Driving takes about 45' and you have a few tolls. But you need to take into account the pickup and drop off times for the car. You might want to get the car the afternoon the day before.

Sounds like the limo is the best way to go and would actually be worth the extra cost. Everything else sounds harder. I need easy when traveling alone with my little one. I've always found the rental car process to be hard when it's just he and I and not worth the hassle and meltdowns that invariably ensue. Thank you for the helpful information.

We have a Budget rental set up for a minivan from WDW to the port.

The Budget office is in the Doubletree hotel.

Its $70 for a minivan (taxes and fees included)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter