Fantasy beds...same as Dream

... or spouses .... :lmao:
I like my own space once-in-awhile :rotfl:

:scared1: I HATE the thought of having to sleep in the same bed as my friend that I travel with! Been there...done that...don't want to go back! :sad2::rotfl:

What about for us single parents? I am a platinum member, so have obviously cruised with Disney many times. Each time I have asked that the beds be separated with no problem since I travel with my two children and sometimes my Mum. My son is 6' 3"...he cannot fit on the sofa bed or pull-down. So the next time I travel with my daughter and son he will get the queen bed, my daughter a pull down and I have to sleep on the sofa. The sofas are incredibly uncomfortable and I am paying for the cruise! Why should I have to sleep on the sofa when it would have been easier to separate the bed.

I know I'm venting...sorry...but I seems they could have at least had a few cabins that had two beds. Maybe Disney will listen and add a couple of twins for us well-traveled single parents.

My sentiments exactly! We normally get connecting staterooms for our large family, but the kids like their own beds, not sharing with a sibling. It creates less conflict.

I totally agree, so was hoping that the beds on the Fantasy at least, would have some options!! :sad2:

People need to keep mentioning it on the comment cards once the Dream starts sailing, I am sure DCL hopes it will not be an issue and people just make do!

Ya know, I'm almost tempted to book a short cruise just for that purpose!! :lmao: ...but, I'd have to go alone or sleep on the couch!!:laughing:

Maybe Disney will listen and add a couple of twins for us well-traveled single parents.
It's just not going to happen, because it's not that simple. To do so, DCL would have to remove the existing queen bed (which may well be mounted permanently to the wall, since it's not convertible to twins), put the frame and mattress in storage, then haul an old-style convertible frame and twin mattresses down a narrow corridor. And then reverse the procedure at the end of the voyage.

And they can't designate certain cabins to be "permanent" twins, since the family before or after you may want a queen--and not with the old style "ridge", but rather the same Dream queen bed as their neighbors (or Fantasy, for that matter).

I am sure DCL hopes it will not be an issue and people just make do!
That's exactly what they're counting on--especially since the Dream queen beds will satisfy approx. 90%+ of travelers. They're not going to make a change on the Dream (or Fantasy) for such a small minority of passengers--comment cards or not.

This decision was not made lightly, nor without counting the number of passengers who requested twin beds.

People need to keep mentioning it on the comment cards once the Dream starts
sailing, I am sure DCL hopes it will not be an issue and people just make do!

That's the best advice. I suspect the whole reason they went with queen only beds was because of how many complaints they got on comment cards about the splitable beds.

That's the best advice. I suspect the whole reason they went with queen only beds was because of how many complaints they got on comment cards about the splitable beds.

The difference is, for most passengers, the new queen beds are seen as an improvement. Going back to the splittable beds will just resurrect the original complaints, and will be perceived as a step backward.

They can't have even a few "twin only" cabins, or even offer twins as an option, for the reasons mentioned above. The only alternative is to replace all queens on the new ships with old-style splittable beds--and they're not about to do that.

Disney is preferring to please the ~90%+ who want a queen configuration in their cabin. No matter how many complaint cards they get about this, they already know exactly what the percent is who request twins on the Magic and Wonder--and they are clearly not catering to that minority on the new ships.

The difference is, for most passengers, the new queen beds are seen as an improvement. Going back to the splittable beds will just resurrect the original complaints, and will be perceived as a step backward.

They can't have even a few "twin only" cabins, or even offer twins as an option, for the reasons mentioned above. The only alternative is to replace all queens on the new ships with old-style splittable beds--and they're not about to do that.

Disney is preferring to please the ~90%+ who want a queen configuration in their cabin. No matter how many complaint cards they get about this, they already know exactly what the percent is who request twins on the Magic and Wonder--and they are clearly not catering to that minority on the new ships.

Wow - a lot of speculation on your part just somehow turned to your KNOWING all the facts?!! :confused3

If any of what you assert were true, why, do you suppose, all the high end, far more expensive LUXURY cruise lines still maintain splittable bed options?!! Are their guests less picky? :lmao:

DCL did this for cost saving reasons - just like they made the rooms a tad smaller!! And they're hoping it doesn't matter to most guests, obviously.

BTW the official word at the presentation I attended was that they were configured this new way to allow for more room under the bed (not because of comfort complaints), but I think we all realize it saves money.

I'm not going to debate this, but I think we shouldn't assert speculation as fact -- there are definitely ways to offer single beds - everyone else does it!!!

This is a discussion board and your comments are welcome, as are mine, so I don't mean to imply they're not, but you must realize that MANY changes have occurred over time based on guest feedback (and no, we are not just the arbitrary number of 90%+)

why, do you suppose, all the high end, far more expensive LUXURY cruise lines still maintain splittable bed options?!! Are their guests less picky?
Why are you bringing up other cruise lines? :confused3 Nowhere did I say Disney said they did this to be better than other cruise lines. (However, I should note they were rated #1 recently)

DCL did this for cost saving reasons and most of us know this - just like they made the rooms a tad smaller!! And they're hoping it doesn't matter to most guests, obviously.
The irony of you stating what you know is quite amusing! :rotfl: However, a little thought will reveal that this change doesn't matter to most guests. In fact most will welcome it, by virtue of the fact that DCL doesn't make changes like this lightly.

there are definitely ways to offer single beds
Please, do offer just one way that doesn't cause the problems mentioned above.

Why are you bringing up other cruise lines? :confused3 Nowhere did I say Disney said they did this to be better than other cruise lines. (However, I should note they were rated #1 recently)
...Please, do offer just one way that doesn't cause the problems mentioned above.

As I said, I have neither the inclination or time to debate this with you. :sad2:

But to briefly answer your questions..... I brought up the lux lines in response to your assertion the beds will now be more comfortable and to go back to convertible beds would be a step backwards to less desirable beds -- lux lines excel in that comfort area. ;)

BTW DCL was rated number one in the mega ship, mass market line; they will never be in direct competition w/ the "large & small" ship category lux lines.

Yours or my thoughts & decisions about the logistics of offering basic cruise bed options does NOT dictate DCL's ability to initiate this.

But please, dragging beds down a hallway is just about the last way I would imagine doing this!! Most ships offer convertible beds or some rooms set aside with single bed options - oops, there I go bringing up other ships again! :lmao:

As I said, I have neither the inclination or time to debate this with you. :sad2:
And yet you chose to initiate one :rotfl:

Yours or my thoughts & decisions about the logistics of offering basic cruise bed options does NOT dictate DCL's ability to initiate this.
Actually they do exactly that. DCL is not going to choose a course of action that impacts their customer service for the majority of passengers, nor one that requires throwing away lots of beds, or moving beds in and out of cabins, just to accommodate a tiny minority of passengers. If you have an alternative, I'm all ears.

Most ships offer convertible beds or some rooms set aside with single bed options
Yes, and I've already indicated the problems for DCL to go that route on the new ships. Clearly they chose to move away from convertible beds, and yet you seem to want them to go backwards, because "other cruise lines do it". :confused3

You said there are "definitely ways" for DCL to have twins; again, do offer just one that gets around the problems above.

I've never had a problem getting the beds split on DCL or any cruise line I've travelled on. I didn't realise it was becoming an 'issue' on DCL.

Thank you for everyone's input.

Can we even fit in one room?? There are 4 of us....DH and I...and I have a DS5 and a 5'7" 15 year old daughter...I don't want to book a cruise and find out we are all squanched in the itty bitty room! Does anyone have some insight on this and what size room would I need to book?? Thanks! I am new to DCL!!!
Yes you will all fit. The room that they place you in will HAVE to be a room that sleeps 4. The queen bed plus the sofa bed (Which is really the same size as a full size Twin bed at home. Unlike other cruiselines DCL usued a normal twin mattress for the sofa. The sofa bed is not how many invision it. It is a thick twin size mattress in the back of the couch. When pulled down it is the size of a regular twin bed, both thickness and length. :thumbsup2 This is where your 15 year old will sleep. Then you will place your 5 year old on the top bunk. There is a nice rail there so do not worry. My very wild sleeping child did great on the top bunk at age 5. Note we still do fit as a family of 4 and DS is a 6 foot 1 inch tall 12 year old. DH is 6'6, DD @ 8 is already topping 5 feet and I am not a short cookie myself. SO if the TINK Family fits, everyone can fit. We should be a poster family for DCL pointing out the size of the rooms on thier ship compared to other cruise ships.;) Now some people with teenagers do book 2 inside connecting rooms just to give you two bathrooms, but if you book a 8 or above you will get a split bath anyway and the teenage girls just need a sink, place to plug in the curling iron/flat iron and a mirror to make them happy.:rotfl2: So she gets 2 to choose from. You will be fine!
We're booked our first DCL trip as well and we'll be sailing next week. We have a family of 4 as well (5 and 3 yr olds) and we were able to book any room except the lowest category, I believe they are for a max of 3 people. We are in an inside deluxe room, with a queen for the DW and I and the sofa bed for DD and the pull out bunk bed for my DS. Sounds like 4 shouldn't be a problem at all. It's come next year when DS/DD #3 comes along and we have to start fitting in 5!!!
Congrats on the new addition.... Just to let you know though, come next year after baby, DCL will make you book a Cat. 4 room. They will not allow you to sail with 5 people in the room (even if baby is 6 months old); unless you are in a cat. 1-4. You will need 2 connecting rooms to get a cat. any lower than a 4 and then you will be paying adult cost for two of the children.:scared1: So your cost has just increased big time. DCL calls all of the rooms "Deluxe" by the way. So do not let the word make you feel you are getting anything special. I guess thay are considered "Deluxe" because they are bigger than other cruiselines. On most cruiselines you can lay in bed and touch the person across from you :lmao:. On DCL we can actually close the bathroom door when we go in so that makes them DELUXE. I just do not want you to be a little thrown next week when you arrive. The cabins are very small, but ARE bigger than other cruiselines to accomidate parents to care for little children. I guess the difference is you must have booked a cat. 10 instead of a standard 11. The difference here is that you get a split bathroom which gives you 2 sinks. I also take for granted your DW has not hit the 24 week cut off in her pregnancy correct? They will not allow her to sail if she has reached the cut off. Congrats again and have a MAGICAL trip.
It's just not going to happen, because it's not that simple. To do so, DCL would have to remove the existing queen bed (which may well be mounted permanently to the wall, since it's not convertible to twins), put the frame and mattress in storage, then haul an old-style convertible frame and twin mattresses down a narrow corridor. And then reverse the procedure at the end of the voyage.

And they can't designate certain cabins to be "permanent" twins, since the family before or after you may want a queen--and not with the old style "ridge", but rather the same Dream queen bed as their neighbors (or Fantasy, for that matter).

It is that simple! I think the biggest pain in the butt is them making two beds. Two bedspreads, two sets of sheets, etc. Have you seen the way the beds seperate. They are already on seperate frames. They just pull apart. There is no need to transfer out frames. They do not move frames down a hallway. Each time we have cruised we have had friends to have them seperate the beds upon arrival when traveling with 2 children. Now I do not know why, but each of the times it has been noted on the reservation and upon arrival they are together and they must be seperated then. So we have seen it done. Now one cruise we had 2 female friends sail together without children. Upon arrival the beds were together and the SRH actually talked them into leaving the beds together and one taking the couch. She pointed out that the couch was wider as a single than the Queen split in two.
We have never needed beds split as I can tolerate DH :lmao: for 7 days on vacation...:rotfl2: but we have many friends who do need them split. So I guess this may change our "group" idea on the new ship. When you have two ladies traveling together and each with a small child, just something about them not wanting to sleep together. I do not blame them either. Actually one cruise I know of friends who had a baby with one of them. They placed the toddler on the lower bunk and place the twin beds in an "L" shape with the pack in play in the middle of the "L". It was so clever as in this position, the pack and play did not take up the room in the middle of the floor. It just took up the space where the bed would have been. Look wierd at first, but worked. Also gave them floor space for baby to play when in the room. Since the bed usually covers this carpet, it was also the cleanest part of the carpet in the room.:thumbsup2
Maybe the answer is to place some of the rooms as "splitters" and others with the new beds. If a person wants a "splitter" there are a few reserved. They can then be split or for people like our family who find no problem with the split in the bed, we could also sleep there.
I do have a queestion people.... For goodness sake what are you doing in the bed that that little bit of an uneven surface bothers you? I sleep pn my side and DH dleeps on his side. We do not lay in the middle of the bed. The only time we have been aware of the seperation is if we get a bed where one is old and the other new and therefore have a huge height difference. It is then like rolling downhill.:cool1: I guess when DD was a toddler and she did the crawl in bed with parents in the middle of the night; she muct have been on the hump. Need I to point out again that we are LARGE people and have not seen it as a problem!:confused3

I think the biggest pain in the butt is them making two beds. Two bedspreads, two sets of sheets, etc. Have you seen the way the beds seperate. They are already on seperate frames. They just pull apart. There is no need to transfer out frames. They do not move frames down a hallway.
You're talking about on the Magic and Wonder. On the Dream and Fantasy (the topic of this thread), there are only queen beds, on a frame that doesn't separate.

Maybe the answer is to place some of the rooms as "splitters" and others with the new beds. If a person wants a "splitter" there are a few reserved.
Making some of the cabins this way doesn't work, because if family before or after you wants a queen bed, then they're stuck with a "splittable" queen bed. Now DCL has sold a cabin that's "not as good" as the cabin next door with a queen bed.

And DCL definitely doesn't want MORE cabin categories--people are confused enough as it is. Plus that would mean unsold cabins, which DCL definitely doesn't want. ;)

But to briefly answer your questions..... I brought up the lux lines in response to your assertion the beds will now be more comfortable and to go back to convertible beds would be a step backwards to less desirable beds -- lux lines excel in that comfort area. ;)

BTW DCL was rated number one in the mega ship, mass market line; they will never be in direct competition w/ the "large & small" ship category lux lines.

But please, dragging beds down a hallway is just about the last way I would imagine doing this!! Most ships offer convertible beds or some rooms set aside with single bed options - oops, there I go bringing up other ships again! :lmao:

But then, when you pick what cabin you want, they would have to have those with the split bed option marked. Now what happens if that is the particular cabin that I like but want a queen bed. Where does that leave me? Would they make it every other cabin? Every 3....4? You will never make everyone happy. They are trying to make 90% happy. The other 10% percent can either get 2 rooms to get enough beds for everyone to sleep seperately or just not cruise on DCL.

But then, when you pick what cabin you want, they would have to have those with the split bed option marked. Now what happens if that is the particular cabin that I like but want a queen bed. Where does that leave me? Would they make it every other cabin? Every 3....4? You will never make everyone happy. They are trying to make 90% happy. The other 10% percent can either get 2 rooms to get enough beds for everyone to sleep seperately or just not cruise on DCL.

Book early?! :lmao:

But really, there are several types of rooms already that are specific.

The handicapped rooms are arranged to accommodate those needing them.

The suites are available for those desiring them.

They could offer SOME convertible bed options (what they will most likely go to at some point).

Did you know some cruise lines have rooms with beds that are singles and can't be made into a queen? They don't usually go empty because there is a desire for them.

But either way, it's important for cruisers to have all of the facts and to be heard imo...

I am in agreement with Bev in that the rooms will not go unsold or looked at as a less than desired room. If the room has a split bed and the other rooms in the same area do not, then a person who does not desire a split bed should not want that room. If the room is the same as the others in the areea, then just pick an alternative neighboring room. I am sure DCL would not make the splitable rooms, SPH rooms, rooms with a bigger verandah, rooms that are truly desired! They will just be standard rooms. The problem is DCL has only heard of the people who did not like the old way. Let's face it, people say, "I do not like the splitable beds with the seperation in the middle". Do you ever hear of people like myself who do not care about the "line" in the middle. I would NEVER write; "BTW DCL I like the line in the middle of the bed". Why would I :confused3 Makes no sense as it does not bother me! I just think they should have it as an option. Let's just note, it too will change the first time it goes to dry dock. DCL will then get the complaints from the people who needed twin beds complaining and those of you who are happy with the change will say nothing. So again they will be listening to the complaints. I am still trying to figure out what are you guys doing that you are sleeping over the center of the bed.....:confused3 Why are you there anyway. The Tink family is no where near Tink size and we NEVER have needed to sleep on the hump? How many are you guys putting in that one bed?

I am in agreement with Bev in that the rooms will not go unsold or looked at as a less than desired room. If the room has a split bed and the other rooms in the same area do not, then a person who does not desire a split bed should not want that room.
Yes, and since the number of people who do not desire a split bed will rarely match the exact number of split-bed cabins, then DCL will have unsold cabins, or discounted cabins. Neither is desirable by DCL.

Let's just note, it too will change the first time it goes to dry dock. DCL will then get the complaints from the people who needed twin beds complaining and those of you who are happy with the change will say nothing. So again they will be listening to the complaints.
But the difference is, they already know the number of complaints from the ridge, from the Magic and Wonder, and they were sizable enough to go with a solid queen mattress. They're not about to resurrect those complaints.

And they also know the number of people who requested twins, and clearly it was small enough that DCL decided to ignore those people for the Dream and Fantasy.

It's not just "will there be complaints". It's "what are the relative number of complaints". Yes, there will be complaints about the lack of splittable beds, but clearly the number is too small for DCL to worry about (or change their mind), since they already made the change knowing what the number of splittable requests was.

I am in agreement with Bev in that the rooms will not go unsold or looked at as a less than desired room. If the room has a split bed and the other rooms in the same area do not, then a person who does not desire a split bed should not want that room. If the room is the same as the others in the areea, then just pick an alternative neighboring room. I am sure DCL would not make the splitable rooms, SPH rooms, rooms with a bigger verandah, rooms that are truly desired! They will just be standard rooms. The problem is DCL has only heard of the people who did not like the old way. Let's face it, people say, "I do not like the splitable beds with the seperation in the middle". Do you ever hear of people like myself who do not care about the "line" in the middle. I would NEVER write; "BTW DCL I like the line in the middle of the bed". Why would I :confused3 Makes no sense as it does not bother me! I just think they should have it as an option. Let's just note, it too will change the first time it goes to dry dock. DCL will then get the complaints from the people who needed twin beds complaining and those of you who are happy with the change will say nothing. So again they will be listening to the complaints.

I am still trying to figure out what are you guys doing that you are sleeping over the center of the bed.....:confused3 Why are you there anyway. The Tink family is no where near Tink size and we NEVER have needed to sleep on the hump? How many are you guys putting in that one bed?

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Book early?! :lmao:

But really, there are several types of rooms already that are specific.

The handicapped rooms are arranged to accommodate those needing them.

The suites are available for those desiring them.

They could offer SOME convertible bed options (what they will most likely go to at some point).

Did you know some cruise lines have rooms with beds that are singles and can't be made into a queen? They don't usually go empty because there is a desire for them.

But either way, it's important for cruisers to have all of the facts and to be heard imo...

Booking early wouldn't help if the cabin I like is one that would have the twins into queen setup. I would have to pick a different cabin. I booked my next cruise while onboard last year and got the cabin 1 away from the one I wanted because the one I wanted was already booked. If they made some split then I wouldn't know until I got onboard that I would have to put up with the lump in the middle unless they also had to mark all the split rooms and as someone already said, they already have so many catagories of staterooms. This would make it all the more confusing.

I am in agreement with Bev in that the rooms will not go unsold or looked at as a less than desired room. If the room has a split bed and the other rooms in the same area do not, then a person who does not desire a split bed should not want that room. If the room is the same as the others in the areea, then just pick an alternative neighboring room. I am sure DCL would not make the splitable rooms, SPH rooms, rooms with a bigger verandah, rooms that are truly desired! They will just be standard rooms. The problem is DCL has only heard of the people who did not like the old way. Let's face it, people say, "I do not like the splitable beds with the seperation in the middle". Do you ever hear of people like myself who do not care about the "line" in the middle. I would NEVER write; "BTW DCL I like the line in the middle of the bed". Why would I :confused3 Makes no sense as it does not bother me! I just think they should have it as an option. Let's just note, it too will change the first time it goes to dry dock. DCL will then get the complaints from the people who needed twin beds complaining and those of you who are happy with the change will say nothing. So again they will be listening to the complaints. I am still trying to figure out what are you guys doing that you are sleeping over the center of the bed.....:confused3 Why are you there anyway. The Tink family is no where near Tink size and we NEVER have needed to sleep on the hump? How many are you guys putting in that one bed?

I may be old, but I'm not dead.:cool1: DH & I spoon, so unless we both sleep on only half the bed one of us will be on the crack. Believe me, I do notice. We had a King bed years ago made up of 2 twins. The crack drove us so nuts we downsized to a queen with no crack. Much better sleeping after that. ( we couldn't get a king mattress around the corner to the master bedroom.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter